*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367716-The-Quest-for-the-Sword-of-Light
Rated: E · Novella · Fantasy · #1367716
The Quest for the Sword of Light is a fantasy/adventure novella.


















CHAPTER ONE:  THE QUEST BEGINS


On a tiny blue planet many distances away from earth, a war that has waged for 10 years continues its saga.  The planet has become a wasteland, torn by the constant wars that have taken place over the years between the evil foundation and the valiant Society.  The Society led by the heroic Isaiah has fought to restore the world to what it once was, freedom for all. But the evil foundation led by the warlord Drastamus aim to keep control of most of Necador. Massive cannons from tanks blast huge green trees making a path for the dark army of the ruler of Drastamus. A large black hand holds a small portable television looking object in its palm.                                                                             
The screen on the portable hand object scrambles, then a dark figure with red slanted eyes appears on the screen. “Akinto report,” Drastamus commands. “Yes master,” Akinto responds. “Have you found any trace of Isaiah and his troops,” asks Drastamus. “No almighty one. They seem to have vanished,” says Akinto. “Vanished? You find them no matter the cost! Or you shall vanish! Do you understand,” Drastamus shouts. “Yes master,” Akinto responds, his hands shaking at Drastamus threat.
         The transmission ends with the screen on telecommunicator going black. Akinto, half-man and half-wolf, puts the telecommunicator back into his pouch and turns to his human troops. “You heard him! Find the society at all costs,” shouts Akinto to his troops.
         Meanwhile, deep inside the woods the valiant Society gather near a sector of trees. Isaiah, the young and noble leader of the Society stands in front of his troops, his silver chest armor glistening brightly, while his hand grips tightly on his huge, sharp sword. His troops are the elder statesmen of the Society, Troy; a veteran of the wars of Necador, Troy sports a gray beard and hair, but is still in great shape, also has years of knowledge on the battlefield. Troy's weapon of choice is the thunder sledgehammer.
         Jason is a tall muscular, brown skinned soldier who is second in command to Isaiah, and his best friend. Jason is very intense on the battlefield and very strong. Jason's weapon of choice is his bare hands, or his ax, the Dreamshatterer. Xavier is a young, brash, warrior of Indian decent, who is always looking for excitement, or a fight. He's usually grouped with Troy, who tries to guide Xavier in battle, and in life. Xavier's weapon of choice is the spear boomerang. Lisa, with long flowing black hair, a woman of Asian decent, and looks that a goddess would envy, she is both beauty and smarts. Lisa's weapon of choice is the sonic arrow. There are also lesser troops in Isaiah's crew. “Isaiah what have you got planned next?  Sooner or later Akinto and his men are going figure out where we are,” asks Troy. “We stay here.  If they come after us, we will be ready,” Isaiah responds.
         “I say we stop all of this running and go break Akinto and his troop’s legs in half,” Jason says smashing his fist into his hand for emphasis. “No. Then Drastamus will know where to locate us and send more of his troops. The risk is too great,” says Isaiah. “I say we gather some wood.  It's going to be cold tonight,” Lisa says. “Good idea Lisa. Troy, you and Xavier take two troops with you to gather some wood,” commands Isaiah. “Yes sir. Let’s go Xavier,” responds Troy. “Aw man!  Wood duty again,” pouts Xavier. Troy and Xavier take two troops to go cut some wood to make a fire.
         “Jason. Are all the troops on watch,” asks Isaiah. “Yes. I told them if they see anything resembling a Foundation soldier, warn us,” responds Jason. “Good. Let’s go make plans for the next time we have to battle against the foundation,” Isaiah says. Isaiah, Lisa and Jason head for the tent to make battle plans. Meanwhile, deeper inside the woods Troy and Xavier are chopping wood with axes from one of the many trees in the forest. “When are we going to start seeing some real action again? I'm sick and tired of wood duty,” Xavier asks putting down his axe. “Hold your horses’ young one.  Don't be in such a rush to look for conflict.  Enjoy peace while we have it,” says Troy.
         “Forget about peace! It's boring! I'd rather be busting some foundation soldier's arm!  At least I'll be having some fun. Anything is better than chopping wood,” Xavier responds sticking the axe into a tree after a mighty swing. A large crackling sound is heard nearby. “What was that,” asks Xavier turning toward where the noise is coming from. “I don't know. Let's go check it out,” Troy says. Troy and Xavier go deeper into the woods to check out the noise. They see some Foundation soldiers talking near a tree. They stop, hide behind a tree, and listen to their conversation. “Blast Akinto for having us out here in these woods searching for those pesky society soldiers,” one Foundation soldier says to the other.
“Would you like to be the one who failed Drastamus,” asks the soldier. “I don't fear Drastamus!  I fear no man,” shouts the other soldier. “Are you crazy?  Didn't you hear about the last guy who tried to stand against Drastamus,” the soldier responds with fear in his voice. “I think Drastamus made that up to make himself seem powerful.  If he was so powerful, why can't he beat a small group of pesky soldiers,” the other soldier replies. Another soldier walks up to the first two and interferes. “Commander Akinto wants us to report back to him,” says the soldier. “Good!  Now we can get out of these miserable woods,” shouts the other Foundation soldier.
The three Foundation soldiers begin to walk off. Xavier and Troy are hiding behind a tree a few yards away. “Looks like Drastamus is having problems with his troops,” whispers Xavier to Troy. “Yes it does seem like it. Isaiah has to know about this,” Troy whispers back. Troy and Xavier try to cautiously leave from behind the tree without being noticed; Xavier steps on a bunch of sticks and makes a noise. One of the foundation soldiers turns around. “Hey, what was that,” says the soldier. “It came from over there,” responds the other soldier. Xavier and Troy try to sneak away from behind the tree. “Look! It's two Society soldiers,” shouts the third soldier.
“I think we better make a break for it,” Xavier shouts. “Good idea,” Troy responds. Troy and Xavier begin to run quickly. “This way, we'll lose them over there next to those trees,” Xavier shouts pointing to some trees a few yards on the other side of the forest. Xavier and Troy make it to the other side of the forest and hide behind the trees.  The Foundation soldiers lose sight of them, and run passes the trees. “Looks like we lost them,” Xavier whispers to Troy. “Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions young one,” whispers Troy. “He's right,” shouts a voice from behind.
Xavier and Troy turn around, as Akinto and his troops stand before them. “Akinto,” says Troy in shock. “Yes. You are fools to think that you could escape me,” says Akinto.
Akinto grips his ax, as some of his troops stand next to him. “I think we've been doing a good job so far,” Xavier responds. “You have a lot of mouth young one!  I hope you don't mind if I close it for you, permanently,” Akinto shouts pointing at Xavier. “I'd like to see you come and try it,” responds Xavier.       
Akinto's troops surround Xavier and Akinto. “I guess I spoke too soon,” says Xavier to Troy. “Now it is time for you to feel the wrath of Akinto,” shouts Akinto. Isaiah and the rest of the crew come running from within deep in the forest. “I hope you don't mind if we join the party,” shouts Isaiah sword in hand. “Isaiah,” says Akinto with a nervous look on his face. “Society soldiers, attack,” commands Isaiah. “About time, I was dying for some action,” Jason says grinding his hands together.
The battle begins with soldiers from each side clashing their weapons against one another. “Attack the large one,” shouts a Foundation soldier pointing at Jason. Several Foundation soldiers attack Jason, who overwhelms them easily by throwing each to the ground. “You weaklings are no match for me,” Jason shouts. On the other side of the forest, Xavier and Troy are battling with Foundation soldiers. “Now this is more like it!  This is what I call fun,” Xavier says while disposing of Foundation soldiers with his weapon and hands. “You'll learn one day young one. Peace is more important than just fighting for the fun of it,” Troy replies knocking down two Foundation soldiers with his weapon.
In the middle of the forest Isaiah and Akinto engage in combat. “I will crush you once and for all Isaiah,” Akinto shouts swinging his ax at Isaiah, who ducks Akinto’s attack. “Not today Akinto,” replies Isaiah. Isaiah clips Akinto to the ground and points his sword directly in front of Akinto's face. “Go back and tell your master that you have failed again,” says Isaiah with anger in his voice. “You will suffer for this Isaiah! I will have my revenge! Troops retreat,” Akinto shouts from the ground. Isaiah withdraws his sword. Akinto slowly gets up off the ground and retreats out of the woods with his troops. “Why did you let them go Isaiah?! We could have held them as our prisoners,” Xavier asks with frustration in his voice. “Then we would have been no better than them. We fight for freedom, not for oppression. We live to fight another day.  Be thankful for that. Let's head back to camp,” responds Isaiah.
Later that night the Foundation soldiers gather at Drastamus’ palace. Drastamus's building or palace, is a half crumbled skyscraper. Most of the windows are busted, the land itself is dark and gloomy giving the building a even more worn down look and feel. Drastamus, is a dark figure in a long brown turban with a hood. His face stays hidden. Only his red slanted eyes are visible. His hands are human however, showing signs that Drastamus has somewhat human genes. Drastamus sits on his black throne, as Akinto and his troops stand before him.
         “You have failed me once again!  You know how I feel about failure,” Drastamus shouts at Akinto. “But...Master! We had them until Isaiah and his troops showed u--,” says Akinto with fear in his voice. “Shut up! I tire of your excuses,” Drastamus yells. “And I tire of your abusive attitude,” responds a Foundation soldier. “How dare you speak against me,” replies Drastamus now standing up. “I don't fear you Drastamus!  You have us doing your dirty work for you!  If you want the society soldiers destroyed, do it yourself,” the Foundation soldier responds in angry.
Drastamus slowly waves his hand in the air. The foundation soldier begins to catch on fire, he screams in pain as the rest of the soldiers look on in pure horror. Seconds later the soldier is reduced to ashes. “Anyone else dares to speak against me,” Drastamus shouts at the stunned soldiers. The room is filled with silence. “Good. Now I have someone I want you to meet,” says Drastamus. A dark half-man, half-bull with six arms and evil green eyes emerges out of the shadows. “Troops meet Cironous,” Drastamus says. “Drastamus, I don't need any help with--,” replies Akinto. “Hush you fool!  You will listen to what I say!  You have plenty of time to prove yourself to me!  We will discuss our plans for the new territory we aim to conquer,” interrupts Drastamus.
Later on, back in the woods, the Society soldiers gather for the night. Isaiah, Lisa, Troy, Jason, Xavier and several other troops sit near the wood burning fire in the middle of the woods at night. “The woods are so beautiful at night,” Lisa says looking around the dark wooded area. “Are you kidding?! It's scary out here,” responds a Xavier. “So Isaiah, since Drastamus found our location where are we headed next,” Troy asks. “To Duros,” answers Isaiah. “Duros, do you know what we have to travel through to get to Duros?  The Valley of the Damned!  No one has ever made it out of there alive,”
Troy says with fear in his voice. “Are you afraid?  Besides we won't have to worry about Akinto and his troops following us there,” says Isaiah. “When are we going to stop running and start fighting,” Jason asks. “Soon my friend, we just have to get an advantage. Now let's get some sleep. We will begin our journey in the morning,” responds Isaiah. Isaiah and his troops get up from the fire, head for their tents, and prepare for sleep.
The next morning, Akinto and his troops stand in front of a huge, glistening white palace guarded by troops of the Emperor Triton. The Emperor stands on the balcony of the palace looking down at Akinto and his troops. “You will surrender this palace under Drastamus’ rule,” shouts Akinto pointing at the Emperor. “I will never surrender to Drastamus' rule,” Emperor Triton yells back at Akinto. “Then I will be forced to crush you! Troops attack,” commands Akinto. A battle ensues. Soldiers with swords and other weapons are engaging in combat everywhere. Explosions are heard. Smoke and fire are seen. Akinto and his troops eventually win the battle, defeating the Emperor's force.
Moments later, on the other side of Necador, Isaiah and his crew walk along a small dirt pathway. The sky becomes gloomy and dark the closer they get to the Valley of the Damned. “We're almost there,” Isaiah says. “Good. The sooner we're in the valley the safer I'll feel,” says Troy. “I don't know how we are going to be safe in a place where no one has returned from,” Xavier quips. A noise erupts behind Isaiah and his troops. Isaiah and his crew turn around as Cironous and his troops appear. “Troops attack,” commands Cironous waving his whip as a sign to show his troops to attack.
“Looks like we have company,” Xavier says gripping his weapon. “Lisa. You, Troy, and Xavier head into the valley. Jason. You, me, and the rest of the troops will hold them off,” commands Isaiah. Lisa, Troy, and Xavier run toward the valley.  While Isaiah, Jason, and the rest troops begin to battle with Cironous. “You will not defeat me like you defeated that weakling Akinto,” Cironous shouts at Isaiah.
Cironous stands in front of Isaiah, whip in hand. “I have no idea who you are, but if you expect me to fear you. Then you have another thing coming,” says Isaiah clutching his sword in a battle stance. Cironous swings his whip at Isaiah and wraps it around Isaiah's legs and pulls him down. “Now it is time for me to destroy you,” Cironous says with an evil grin on his face. “Not so fast dark one,” says Jason from behind Cironous. Jason picks Cironous up with his bare hands from behind and throws him down.  He then helps Isaiah up.
“Thanks old friend,” Isaiah says getting up off the ground. “Anytime my friend,” say Jason with a smile on his face. Cironous gets up off of the ground. “Don't think that you defeated me so easy.  Now you will witness my real power,” shouts Cironous. Cironous body begins to grow bigger, as Isaiah and Jason look on in shock. “What do we do now Isaiah,” Jason asks. “I think we better run,” replies Isaiah. “Good idea,” Jason says. Isaiah and Jason run into the valley of the damned. “After them you fools,” demands Cironous pointing at his troops to follow. “No way, that's the Valley of the Damned!  No one has ever come back from there alive,” says one of Cironous’ troops with fear in his voice. “You cowards, we will find another way to catch them!  Let's go,” commands Cironous. Cironous and his troop head in the opposite direction of the Valley of the Damned.
Moments later, inside the Valley of the Damned, Isaiah and Jason catch up to the rest of the troops. The valley is surrounded by old trees shaped as if they will come alive at any minute. The sky in the valley is gray and gloomy. A small dirt path guides you through the valley. Isaiah and his crew continue to walk until they happen upon a small town reminiscent of the old west towns. The town is run down, windows busted, rotted wood everywhere. A whole town has a very eerie feel to it.                                     “This place is like a ghost town,” remarks Isaiah looking around the valley. “I agree. There seems to be no life here,” Jason responds. “Troops see if you can find somewhere to rest our heads for the day,” Isaiah says. “Yes sir,” one of Isaiah’s troops responds. “This place is scary,” says Lisa. “Yeah, I don't think we should rest our heads here. I don't like the way it looks here,” Troy says. “We'll be o.k. don’t worry.  I'm sure there is no one here but us,” replies Isaiah. “Yeah and the ghosts,” responds Xavier.
         Troy walks in front of an old, rundown saloon/hotel. “Isaiah over here,” says Troy signaling to Isaiah with his hand. Isaiah walks over to Troy, standing next to him. “What is it Troy,” Isaiah asks. “I think this might be a good place to lay our head,” answers Troy. Troy points at a sign on the front of the building that reads saloon. “Better check to make sure,” Isaiah says. “Will do, Xavier and the two troops will come with me,” says Troy. “All the dirty jobs,” Xavier replies.
Troy, Xavier, and the two troops enter the saloon. The saloon is dimly lit, the only light coming from outside. The floor is rotted and squeaky as Troy and the others slowly walk on it. “Nothing in here so far, thank goodness,” Xavier says. “This place is just like to old western movies I saw on that signal broadcast from earth we used to go to when I was a kid,” Troy says with a smile on his face. “How could you smile in a scary place like this? What are these western movies you’re talking about,” asks Xavier.
“On earth they use to make these cowboy movies, mostly good guys vs. bad guys, well in these movies used to be places that looked like this,” responds Troy. “Why would something from old movies off another planet be here in Necador,” Xavier wonders. “Good question, maybe this place has always existed here as it did on earth. Probably the reason they call this place the Valley of the Damned. Maybe it’s the place time forgotten,” replies Troy. “I don’t know about time forgetting, but it’s definitely a creepy place,” says Xavier.
Xavier looks at some steps that lead upstairs. “I’m going to check the second floor,” Xavier says. “Alright, but be careful,” warns Troy. “Don’t I always,” replies Xavier. Troy shakes his head. Xavier walks up the stairs, while Troy walks over to old china cabinet, opens it, and picks up a vase. “This has got to be an antique,” says Troy wiping off dust on the vase. A loud crash is heard from the second floor. Troy quickly puts down the vase, and runs up the stairs followed by the two troops. When Troy makes it to the second floor he sees Xavier has fallen through the floor stuck. “Finally something that will keep you still,” Troy says with a smile on his face. “That isn’t funny, help me up out of here,” says Xavier. Troy and the two troops pull Xavier out of the floor. They walk down the stairs where Isaiah and the rest of the crew have entered the saloon. “We heard a noise from outside, thought you guys were in trouble,” Isaiah says. “No trouble, some of us might be gaining too much wait though,” Troy responds with a laugh. “Very funny,” says Xavier.
Later on that night, Isaiah and his crew sit on the floor with candles lit on barely standing tables. “This is odd to say the least.  Why would someone leave their town completely empty? It doesn't make any sense,” wonders Isaiah. “I've been asking myself that question, along with many others,” responds Troy. “Maybe the living conditions began to get bad,” Jason replies. “Or maybe they starved to death,” says Lisa. “Who knows really?  We're not going to be here long enough to find out what happened,” Isaiah says. “Good, the sooner we get out of here.  The better I'll feel,” replies Xavier.
A loud, strange noise comes from the second floor of the saloon. “What was that,” Troy says with a scared look on his face. “I don’t know, but it definitely isn’t me falling through the floor this time,” says Xavier a scared look on his face also. Isaiah stands up. “Jason. Lisa, you and the two troops go check it out,” Isaiah says. “No problem,” Jason replies. Jason, Lisa, and two troops get up to go check the noise. 
Meanwhile at the Arnterior Palace, Akinto is talking to Drastamus on his telecommunicator on the palace’s balcony. “Master we have everything under control here,” says Akinto. “Good, you have served me well Akinto,” Drastamus responds. “Thank you master,” replies Akinto.
“Now begin the reconstruction,” commands Drastamus. “As you wish master,” responds Akinto. Akinto cuts off his telecommunicator.
         Back at Drastamus’ palace, Drastamus stands in front of his throne. “Soon the whole world will belong to me.  And I shall rebuild it into my own empire.  Those who choose to follow me will live. Those who oppose will become my prisoners or perish,” shouts Drastamus to himself. Drastamus is interrupted by a transmission on his telecommunicator. Drastamus picks up his telecommunicator. Cironous appears on the screen. “Almighty Drastamus,” says Cironous. “Have you captured Isaiah and his troops,” Drastamus asks. “No. They ran into the Valley of the Damned,” replies Cironous voice filled with fear. “Did you go after them,” Drastamus asks again, this time brimming with anger.
“No sir. The troops got scared, and refused to go.  They fear the ghosts that haunt the place,” answers Cironous fearing the worst. “Ghosts, if you don't go after them I will make you all ghosts,” Drastamus yells. “Yes mighty Drastamus,” says Cironous in a nervous voice. The transmission ends. Cironous puts down his telecommunicator and turns to his troops. “You heard him! Into the valley of the damned,” Cironous commands. Cironous and his troops head into the valley of the damned.
Moments later, inside the saloon in the Valley of the Damned Lisa, Jason, and two troops are on the second floor of the saloon hotel in front a closed door. “I think this is where the noise came from,” Lisa says. Lisa slowly opens the door. “Look,” Lisa whispers to Jason as she points at a woman in a blue dress and black hair sitting with her back turned. “Mrs. Are you okay,” asks Jason. The woman gets up and turns around, her face as pale as the snow. She has a baby in her hand, covered in a blue blanket.
“Can I see your baby,” Lisa asks. Moments later a scream is heard in the lobby. “What was that,” asks Xavier, looking at Isaiah, his voice filled with fear. “Sounded like someone screaming. It came from the direction that Lisa and Jason went. Let's go,” replies Isaiah. Isaiah, Xavier, and Troy run upstairs, where they see Lisa standing in the hallway shaking and looking terrified, with Jason right beside her. “Lisa what's wrong,” Troy asks.
“Look,” says Lisa pointing at the woman and the baby, who are standing a few feet away are motionless. “It's a ghost!  Her baby's face, it's--,” says Xavier in fear of what he sees. “The lingering dead, the people here were killed before their time to die.  I suggest we leave this area immediately,” Jason replies. “Good idea,” responds Xavier. “Let's gather our things and get out of here as quickly as we can,” Isaiah says.
Isaiah and his troops walk back downstairs and gather their gear and head out of the saloon. “There they go! Troops attack,” demands Cironous pointing at Isaiah and his crew. “Troops arm yourself,” Isaiah replies, clutching his sword. A battle begins. Cironous runs in front of Isaiah, whip in hand. “You ran from me last time!  This time there will be no escape,” shouts Cironous. “You will never defeat me,” Isaiah shouts back. Cironous swings his whip at Isaiah and misses. Isaiah knocks the whip out of his hands. Cironous falls to his knees and begs for mercy.
“Please don't kill me! I surrender,” begs Cironous.
“You were so confident just a minute ago!  Now you beg for mercy,” Isaiah says, his sword pressed against Cironous’ neck. Cironous tries to sneak and grab his laser blade in his back pouch when a loud voice that shakes the deserted town stops everyone from fighting. “Stop fighting now,” a loud thundering voice commands. Cironous stands up. “Who are you to tell me to stop?!  Do you know who I serve?! The mighty Drastamus,” shouts Cironous looking around trying to figure out where the voice came from. “Hush! I fear no one!! There will be no more fighting in this valley!! If you do not listen to what I say then I will be forced to destroy you all,” threatens the loud voice.
“If you’re so powerful show yourself!  I will not listen to what you say,” responds one of Cironous’ troops looking around. Dark shadows appear from everywhere and consume one of Cironous' troops. He screams in pain. The others watch in fear as he disappears. “What are you,” Lisa shouts, voice trembling from fear. I am Gorgon! The keeper of the Valley of the Damned!! I watch over the dead in the valley! Trespassers either obey what I say or perish! Now leave now or I shall destroy you all,” the voice demands. “How about it Cironous, a truce for now,” asks Isaiah turning to Cironous. “I would rather face Drastamus's wrath than to die in this miserable place. Very well, we have a truce for now.  But when we meet again, you won't be so lucky,” replies Cironous. Cironous and his troops begin to leave the valley and head back to Drastamus' building.  Isaiah and his troops head to Duros.
Later on at Drastamus’ palace, Cironous and his troops have just arrived from the valley of the damned, and stand before Drastamus. Akinto stands next to Drastamus, as Drastamus sits in his throne. “Cironous, have you captured Isaiah and his troops,” asks Drastamus. “No master,” Cironous responds lowering his head in shame. “Dare you fail me again?! I will destroy you,” shouts Drastamus clutching his hands in anger. “But...Mighty Drastamus!!  We almost had them when the keeper of the valley interfered,” replies a scared Cironous.
“The keeper of the valley,” Drastamus asks. “Yes master. He destroyed one of my troops. He was very powerful. Almost as powerful as you,” responds Cironous still scared. “What,” Drastamus shouts. “I didn't mean to say it like that! I mean--,” replies a fearful Cironous. “Shut up,” commands Drastamus. “Master allow me to try and capture Isaiah and his troops again,” interrupts Akinto. “So that you may fail me again,” Drastamus says. “I--,” replies Akinto. “I'm surrounded by idiots! But this keeper of the valley sounds interesting. Valyneria come to me,” interrupts Drastamus.
Valyneria appears wearing a long red dress. Her face is that of a middle aged woman, her hair long and black, with one long gray hair. Her fingernails are of great length also. “Yes mighty one,” Valyneria says. “Tell me what you know about the keeper of the valley,” commands Drastamus. “Yes master,” Valyneria responds. Valyneria lifts her hands in the air as smoke appears around her. Her eyes begin to glow in a red color. “He is the guardian of the dead. He was left behind to guard the valley.  However his power can reach outside of the valley and influence all of the living dead. He wields great power,” says Valyneria. Valyneria puts her hands down. Her eyes stop glowing.
“You never fail me Valyneria, unlike some of my warriors. You may go now,” Drastamus says. “Yes mighty one,” replies Valyneria. Valyneria leaves the room. “The keeper could become a great weapon if used correctly.  I could use a power such as his,” Drastamus says with a menacing look on his face. “But master. How are you going to convince him to side with us,” asks Cironous. “Don't worry about what I do!  Get the troops ready to depart for the Valley of the Damned,” Drastamus demands. “Yes master,” replies Cironous. Drastamus and his army head out of his castle on their voyage to the Valley of the Damned. 
Meanwhile, Isaiah and his crew continue their walk on a somewhat brick road. Isaiah walks slightly ahead of the others. “I'm sure glad we made it out of the Valley of the Damned. That place gave me the creeps,” Xavier says. “You’re not the only one kid,” responds Troy. “Yeah, remember what the Keeper did to one of Cironous' troops,” Lisa asks. “He wielded great power. If we had to fight him we would surely lose,” says Troy. “I'm pretty sure that like anything else he has a weakness,” replies Jason.
“Probably, but I wasn't going to stay around and find out,” Xavier says. “What's eating Isaiah,” asks Troy. “Yes. Our leader has been quiet for sometime now,” Lisa says. “He's far in front of us, like he wants to be left alone or something,” says Xavier looking at Isaiah walking a few steps in front in him. “I will go ask,” replies Jason. Jason jogs ahead and catches up to Isaiah. “What troubles you Isaiah,” Jason asks. “Nothing, I'm fine,” responds Isaiah.
“You’re lying,” Jason says. “You always could see when I wasn't telling the truth old friend,” says Isaiah. “So what's the problem,” Jason asks. “Just wondering when it will end. Why must we continue to fight a war that we will certainly lose? I mean our factions across Necador continue to falter everyday. We might indeed be the last hope for the society,” replies Isaiah with the look of sadness on his face. “I would rather fight than to give up willingly.  I believe in peace as much as you, but a man must stand up and fight for what he believes in,” Jason says. “I know. But I just hope I'm not leading you all to your doom. That I cannot bear,” responds Isaiah.
“Don't worry Isaiah. You’re a great leader.  I know your going to lead us to ultimate victory. I have confidence in you,” says Jason. “It's good to hear that someone has more confidence in me than I have in myself from time to time, thank you old friend,” replies Isaiah extending his hand to Jason, who shakes it. “Anytime,” Jason says. Isaiah and his crew finally make it to the outer gates of Duros.                                                                                Duros is a small community that has been turned into a fortress. Huge metal gates guard the inside of the town from intruders. Guards stand atop watch posts at the front of the gate. You can see a nicely lit palace close by. A guard at the gate wearing a metal blue war helmet looks at Isaiah and his crew. “Who are you,” asks the guard. “I am Isaiah of the Society army, and these are my troops,” Isaiah responds. Isaiah lifts up his right sleeve and shows the guard his Society print on his arm. “Who do you wish to see,” asks the guard at the gate. “The ruler of your fortress, Emperor Lexor,” answers Isaiah.
The guard turns and stares at a guard in one of the posts. The guard stares at another guard at another post, who lifts his finger in the air.  The guard at the gate raises the gate. “The emperor will see you now,” says the guard at the gate. “Thank you,” Isaiah replies. Isaiah and his crew walk through the gate.
Later, in the palace of Emperor Lexor, Isaiah, Lexor and both their troops eat at a huge dinning table. Emperor Lexor is slightly overweight, with a gray beard, and an aging face of wisdom. “It's been a long time since we've had visitors. Especially from the Society's army, I thought you were all dead,” says Lexor with a turkey leg in his hand. “No. We are very much alive.  But if Drastamus had his way we would be prisoners in his palace,” Isaiah responds. “Drastamus, he’s still up to his evil ways? I figured someone as evil as he is would never rest until he had complete power of all of Necador,” says Lexor.               
“Not just that. He's reconstructing the land. He is constructing the land he's conquered into places of his desire. Almost mirror images of one another,” replies Troy. “He's building an empire of evil. He is attacking everyone who stands in his way,” Lisa says. “I don't fear Drastamus.  Let him come.  As you can see I have one of the most well armed communities in the world,” says Lexor with full confidence.
“I believe you. But I hear there is a way to stop Drastamus for good. I've heard that you may be able to lead me to it,” Isaiah asks. “So you are on a quest for the Sword of Light,” replies Lexor. “Yes, I want to stop Drastamus and his evil reign for good,” Isaiah answers. “The quest for the Sword of Light is not an easy one. All have failed trying to attain it. Are you sure you want to take on that task,” Lexor asks. “What choice do we have,” responds Isaiah. “Alright, I will give you the map and a couple of my troops to command.  For now let us finish eating,” says Lexor. Isaiah and his crew continue eating with the Lexor and his troops.
Meanwhile in the Valley of the Damned, Drastamus and his troops walk cautiously through the village when the loud voice reappears and shakes the valley. “I'm getting out of here,” shouts a scared Cironous. “If you run Cironous I will destroy you myself,” Drastamus says pointing his finger in anger at Cironous. “He is a coward mighty one,” says Akinto. “Who dares to enter the Valley of the Damned,” shouts the Keeper interrupting the talking amongst Drastamus and his troops. “It is I! The mighty ruler Drastamus,” responds Drastamus looking around at the same time.
“Drastamus, your evil deeds don't scare me! Leave now or be destroyed,” the Keeper demands. “Master let's go! Before he destroys us,” replies Akinto with fear in his voice. “Now who is the coward Akinto,” says Cironous standing next to Akinto. “The both of you shut up! I refuse to leave!!  I come here to make you my servant,” Drastamus shouts both of his hands extended outward. “Make me your servant?! I've never heard such rubbish,” responds the Keeper.
“You will serve me keeper!  Or I will destroy your precious little town,” says Drastamus now pointing at a rotted building in the ghost town. “No! I have sworn an oath to protect the ghosts who reside in that town! Very well I will do what you wish for now!!  But be warned, I will not forget this!!  What do you want me to do,” the Keeper asks. “I want an unstoppable army of the living dead,” shouts Drastamus. “As you wish,” the Keeper says reluctantly. Old dead bodies begin to rise from the ground near Drastamus and his troops. “Beautiful! Now no one will be able to stop me,” says Drastamus with an evil smile on his face.
The next morning, Isaiah and his crew are on the outside gates of Duros along with Emperor Lexor and some of his troops. “Thank you for all your help Lexor.  When I get the Sword of Light I will be able to unite Necador into a land of peace,” Isaiah says. “I wish you luck my friend. You will need it,” responds Lexor. Emperor Lexor shakes Isaiah's hand.  Isaiah says goodbye and walks off with his troops.
Moments later, Isaiah and his crew walk along a grassy land on their quest for the Sword of Light. “So we're on our way to get the sword of light Isaiah,” Troy asks. “It's our only hope,” answers Isaiah. “How do you know so much about it Isaiah,” Lisa asks. “My mother told me stories about it when I was little.  Right before the age of technology ended. She said that the sword of light possessed the powers of Necador, the grain, the water, land, everything. Only a select few would be chosen to wield it. It can destroy all evil and restore the land to peace and harmony. I thought it was just a bedtime story my mother told me in order for me to get some sleep. For some reason I believe in it now. I can't describe it. It's just a feeling,” replies Isaiah.
“You mean to tell me that you got us on a wild goose chase looking for a sword that might not even exist,” Xavier says with anger in his voice as he stops walking.
“Calm down young one,” replies Troy. “What do you mean calm down!  This isn't making any sense.  What if there is no sword? What are we going to do then,” yells Xavier at Troy. 
“The sword is real Xavier. Trust me. I can feel it,” says Isaiah. “You can feel it?!  Your nuts!  Your going to get us all killed!  I think I'll be walking back to Duros.  At least I feel safer there than out here looking for a fairytale sword,” Xavier shouts turning around heading back to Duros.
“Xavier! Come back,” shouts a worried Isaiah. “Don't worry Isaiah. I'll get him,” Troy says. Troy goes after Xavier. “The youth of today, I swear--,” says Jason. “They act the same way we acted at their age,” Isaiah interrupts.
“Good point,” responds Jason. Troy finally catches up to Xavier. “Wait a minute kid,” Troy says grabbing Xavier by the arm. “Why did you come to stop me from going back to Duros? I know you don't believe in this sword nonsense do you,” asks Xavier.                                         
“It doesn't matter what I believe.  All I want to do is get this war over with so that I can get back to my wife and kids. I'm getting older by the day.  I don't know how longer I'm going to be around.  But I sure don't want to die with things the way they are now.  Maybe there is a sword, maybe not, all I know is that if there is any chance at getting this war over with, and having things the way they once were, so that I can see my family,  I'm going to take that chance.  Are you,” Troy says.
Moments later, Troy and Xavier rejoin the group. “Xavier, your back,” says Isaiah with a smile on his face. “Yeah, thanks to Troy.  Now let's go find this Sword of light,” Xavier says. “What did you say to him,” asks Jason whispering to Troy. “I told him that if we get this war over with that I would introduce him to my daughter,” Troy answers whispering back to Jason. “Good one,” says Jason. Jason and Troy begin laughing.
Meanwhile, Drastamus and his troops arrive outside the gates of Duros. “Who do you wish to see,” asks the guard at the gate. “The Emperor of your community, to give him a choice,” Drastamus responds. Emperor Lexor walks to the balcony of his palace. “Well, well, well, if it isn't the mighty Drastamus.  Why do you come to my community,” asks Lexor. “I give you three choices Lexor.  Hand over Isaiah and his troops to me, give up your community to my rule, or be destroyed,” Drastamus demands. “I guess I will have to answer your choices.  I've never heard of this Isaiah character you speak of. I will never give my community to you.  And I don't plan on dying anytime soon,” answers Lexor voice full of sarcasm.
“Have it your way! Troops attack,” Drastamus commands pointing toward the gates of Duros. “I've been waiting to bust some heads all day,” shouts Cironous smacking all six of his hands together. “Talk is cheap!  Let's see what you can do on the battlefield,” Akinto says looking at Cironous clutching his ax. “You continue to try me Akinto?!  Maybe after I finish destroying Lexor's troops, I will see if you back up all that mouth you have,” says Cironous pointing his finger at Akinto.
“Will you idiots quit arguing and fight before I dispose of you both once and for all,” Drastamus shouts looking back at Akinto and Cironous. “Yes master,” respond both Cironous and Akinto. “It seems that your troops can't even fight without arguing with each other. If it's a fight you want!  It's a fight you’re going to get! Troops attack,” commands Lexor from his balcony. Emperor Lexor and Drastamus' troops begin to battle.
Later, Isaiah and his crew stand in the dusty road in the middle of the small town. The town is filled with people in the streets. “Why did we stop here,” asks Xavier. “This is the first stop on the map,” answers Isaiah. “So who or what do we look for,” Jason asks. “It says to visit the castle of the Wizard of Primus,” responds Isaiah. “How do we know where to locate this castle,” Lisa asks. “Simple, we just ask,” answers Xavier.
Xavier walks over to a nearby Townsman who is walking by. “Excuse me kind sir. Could you tell me where I can locate the castle of the Wizard of Primus,” asks Xavier to a townsman. “I don't know what you’re talking about,” the townsman responds. “You sure,” asks Xavier again. “Yes I'm sure! Now leave me alone,” yells the townsman at Isaiah. The townsman walks off. Xavier walks back over to Isaiah and the rest of the crew.
“What a temper the people in this town has,” says Xavier. “It seems that talking about the castle of the Wizard of Primus is a touchy subject in this town,” Isaiah says. “So what are we going to do now?  Since the people don't seem too happy to bring up where the castle is, how are we going to find it,” asks Troy. “We will find a place to rest our head for now.  If we continue to ask around I'm sure someone will eventually tell us,” responds Isaiah. Isaiah and his crew look around for somewhere to rest their head. They eventually find a house that has a sign saying it rents out rooms.
Isaiah knocks on the door. An old, short man walks out. “We saw the sign outside saying that you rent out rooms,” Isaiah asks. “You were told correctly young man,” answers the old man. “Good. How much do you charge,” Isaiah asks. “My fee is 200 scruples,” responds the old man. “In that case we will take 3 rooms for 2 nights,” Isaiah says.
Isaiah pays the Old man. The Old man shows Isaiah and his crew the rooms in which they sleep. Isaiah and his troops retire to their rooms.
Later that night, while outside staring into the sky, Isaiah spots the old man trying to lift a heavy water jug. Isaiah walks over to the old man. “I will help you with that kind sir,” says Isaiah lifting the water jug and carrying it for the old man. “Thank you for helping me young man,” the old man says. “Anytime, I'm always here to help those that need it,” says Isaiah. “Such nobleness in a young man, that is rare in these days.  What is your name young one,” the old man asks. “Isaiah, and may I ask what is yours,” asks Isaiah. “Jagas,” the old man answers. “A pleasure to meet you Jagas,” responds Isaiah shaking the old man’s hand. “A pleasure to meet you also,” the old man says.
Isaiah and the old man walk into the kitchen.  Isaiah puts the water jug on the table, and he and the Jagas sit at the table. “So how long have you been living here Jagas,” asks Isaiah. “I've been living in this town twenty years.  This was a town of such great things. Many people lived here among wonderful buildings, beautiful plants, and many stores.  Then the war came, along with it decay and death. Even though people still are here, most of them however are nothing more than thieves and crooks. The decent people moved out long ago.  Now this town is nothing more but a rest stop,” Jagas replies, lowering his head in disappointment.
“Yes, the war has turned the whole Necador into a total wasteland, so much death and evil. But I plan to restore things to what they once were,” says Isaiah. “How are you going to do that,” Jagas asks. “By attaining the Sword of Light, with it I plan to restore things to good,” answers Isaiah. “Awh, the Sword of Light.  Many have tried, but they have all failed.  What makes you think that you can accomplish this,” asks Jagas. “I have confidence in myself. I feel that I am destined to wield the sword,” Isaiah responds.
“It takes more than confidence to get the Sword of Light,” says the Jagas. “I know. I am willing to do whatever it takes.  So that I can restore Necador to what it once was,” Isaiah says. “Well then, let's celebrate,” says the old man. “Celebrate what,” Isaiah asks. “You’re attaining the Sword of Light.  Then restoring the Necador to what it once was,” answers Jagas. Isaiah and the Jagas pour each other drinks of water and continue to talk.
Later, back at Duros the battle continues to wage on.  The troops of Emperor Lexor are beginning to overwhelm the forces of Drastamus. “Lord Drastamus!  They are beginning to overwhelm our forces!  We must retreat,” shouts Akinto in fear. “Stand your ground you fool! I will summon the forces of the living dead from the Keeper,” Drastamus says on top of his horse. Drastamus recites a magical spell.  The dead begin to rise out of the ground. “Now, warriors of the Keeper of the Damned, attack the troops of Emperor Lexor,” commands Drastamus. The living dead begin to attack the troops of Lexor.  The troops of Emperor Lexor try to fight back but are unsuccessful in stopping the army of the living dead.
The next morning, Isaiah and his troops are outside of Jagas house preparing to go out into the town to ask who knows the whereabouts of the castle of the Wizard of Primus. “Let's hope someone is more receptive than the last guy I talked to,” Xavier says. “Yes.  I'm sure someone knows where to locate the castle,” says Lisa. “Well there is only one way to find out.  Jason, you and Troy take some troops and ask on the left side of town.  Lisa, you, me, and Xavier will take the right side of town with some troops,” Isaiah says.
Jagas walks outside. “Why are you all up so early,” asks Jagas. “Sorry to wake you Jagas. We have to find out if someone knows where to locate the castle of the Wizard of Primus,” Isaiah says. “The castle of the Wizard of Primus, why didn't you ask me where to locate it,” asks Jagas. “I didn't think anyone in this town would know after one townsman was so defensive about it, but we have to keep trying.  Do you know where to locate it,” Isaiah asks. “Of course I know where it is,” answers Jagas. “Would you tell us where it is,” Isaiah asks.
“Of course I will.  There are mountains behind this town. Go to the fourth mountain and enter.  There you will find the wizard's castle.  But be warned, the wizard is a powerful man.  Don't try to outsmart him,” responds Jagas.
“Thank you old friend, I will not try to outsmart the wizard.  Troops get ready for our trip to the wizard's castle,” Isaiah says. Isaiah shakes Jagas’ hand. “It was great getting to know you Jagas,” says Isaiah. “It was great getting to know you also Isaiah.  I wish you much luck in retrieving the Sword of Light,” Jagas says. Isaiah and Jagas wave goodbye to each other as Isaiah begins to make the trip to the mountains.
Later on, back at Duros, the battle has waged to morning. Smoke and troops lay on the ground.  The troops of Emperor Lexor have been defeated.  Drastamus holds the emperor captive in a cage in the emperor's building. “Your troops fought a valiant fight Lexor!  You should be proud of them,” Drastamus says sitting in Lexor’s chair. “You had to use the forces of the living dead to defeat them.  You’re a swine Drastamus,” shouts Lexor. “It doesn't matter who I used to win the battle!  I have taken over your community and now have you as my prisoner,” Drastamus shouts back.
“I would rather die than serve you Drastamus,” Lexor says valiantly. “You will get your wish, but first! Cironous, Akinto,” shouts Drastamus. Cironous and Akinto step forward. “Yes master,” respond both Cironous and Akinto. “Take some of the troops and burn down Lexor's community,” Drastamus commands. “With pleasure master,” says Akinto with an evil smile. “No,” yells Lexor shaking the cage. “Hahaha, not so brave now are we?! First I will burn your community, as well as the people in it, to the ground.  And you will watch as it burns.  Then I will destroy you,” Drastamus says looking at a caged Lexor. Cironous, Akinto, and their troops begin to burn down Duros.  All Emperor Lexor can do is watch in shock.
         Later, on the outskirts of Duros, Drastamus and his troops walk away from Duros, which is engulfed in flames. “Mighty Drastamus, do you want us to head back to our palace,” asks Akinto looking back at Drastamus, who is on his horse. “No, I'm in a good mood today, besides there are always more cities to conquer. To the next city,” Drastamus commands. “Yes master,” replies Akinto.
Moments later, Isaiah and his troops make it to the front entrance of the fourth mountain. “Well we're here,” Jason says. “Well let's go inside,” says Xavier, about to walk inside the mountain. “Hold it young one. I suggest we be careful,” Troy says holding back Xavier. “Yeah, you never know what kind of traps are inside,” says Lisa. “Let us proceed, but careful and slowly,” says Isaiah. Isaiah and his crew proceed into the mountain. Further down they encounter a huge statue of a warrior.
Isaiah and his crew are admiring the huge statue of the warrior. “It's huge,” says Lisa in awe of the statue.
“Yes, but what is it doing in here,” Jason asks. “And who is it,” replies Troy. “Let’s not worry about it. Let's proceed,” Isaiah says. A huge noise comes from nowhere.
“What was that,” asks a nervous Lisa. “I don't know but I don't want to find out,” answers Xavier. “Look! It's the statue,” Troy shouts, pointing at the statue. “It's moving,” shouts Jason. “Run,” Xavier shouts backing away in fear.
Xavier and the rest crew begin to run back toward the entrance. Isaiah stands still. “No! We will fight! It is too late to turn back now,” says Isaiah taking out his sword. “Are you crazy?! Do you see the size of that thing,” Xavier shouts while looking at Isaiah. “I'm usually all for a good fight Isaiah, but fighting a huge moving statue is impossible,” says Jason also looking at Isaiah. The huge statue begins to walk towards Isaiah. “Then I shall fight it myself,” Isaiah shouts valiantly.
Isaiah charges the statue.  He cuts it on the leg with his sword. The statue steps back and begins to crumble to the ground. “Amazing,” Jason says in awe. “I've never seen such bravery in all my years,” replies Troy. “That was incredible,” says Lisa. “Wow! How did you know to attack its legs,” Xavier asks. “I didn't. I just took a wild guess,” answers Isaiah. “Good guess,” says Jason. Everyone in the crew let’s out a relieved laugh.

© Copyright 2007 Fernand Smith (nand18 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367716-The-Quest-for-the-Sword-of-Light