*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1368746-THE-DIARY-OF-AMBER-MCCARTERchapter-12
by oLa_06
Rated: E · Novel · Emotional · #1368746
Amber McCarter,an ordinary girl who became extraordinary.
"FIRST DAY, FIRST IMPRESSION"
CHAPTER 1

         My name is Amber McCarter. 16 years of age, 5'6 ft tall, brunette and not so slim. I’m an only child and my parents and I were originally from Misuise village and this year they decided to start a new life at west coast village. At first I didn't agree with their plan but then I realized that it will be a lot of fun. I lived at Misuise village since I was born and meeting new people would be great. The only thing I’m nervous about was being a new kid at school. You know, its tough being the new kid. You don't know anyone, nobody's talking to you and you eat lunch alone. It’s like you doesn't exist. That’s why the night before my first day at school, I was really nervous and I didn't sleep that well.

         "rrrriiiiingggg!" the bell at school rang. What a great day to start being a new kid! I was late for school!

         "First day at school, first day of detention. Miss McCarter?" everybody was staring at me, and the teacher was looking at me while smiling.

         "Oh, sorry. I didn't get enough sleep last night and I-" she interrupted and said with a big smile on her face "it's ok Miss McCarter. Since it's your first day here, you're excused for your tardiness. Just make sure you won't be late again, alright? I’m Mrs. Abe by the way"

         "Yah, sure! Thank you!" my eyes wandered around, looking for a vacant chair. Aha! There was one. I sat, took out a notebook from my bag and started listening to the Mrs. Abe. She was nice, she's thin and tall. She wore really thick pair of glasses and she always smiled like a kid who got her first lollipop. And she was teaching algebra! My favorite subject!

         I was listening to the lecture when a girl next to me started to throw a ball of paper on my table. I opened it and read it. "Hi! What’s your name?" I looked at her, smiled and started writing my name on the crumpled paper. Then I heard my name once again, "Miss McCarter?!" it was Mrs. Abe looking at me and that time I can tell she's not happy to say my name. “You seem busy there writing. You probably want to share that to the whole class, right Miss McCarter?" I felt my blood running through my head, everybody's looking at me, then I said, "oh, sorry. This is nothing. I’m just taking notes about your lecture."

         "Ok then, you might want to solve this next problem if that's the case."
         Thank God algebra is my favorite subject. I answered it correctly and Mrs.Abe was pretty surprised that I know the answer. "Alright then, you got it right! I’m impressed Ms. McCarter! You can take your seat now. Thank you!"

         When I was walking towards my sit, I saw all my classmates staring at me. "Oh no, they think I’m a geek!" I thought to myself. Well, that's a very good impression on me. First, being late and then, everybody thinks I’m a geek! I’m not really a geek. I just love algebra. Actually, that's the only subject I’m good at and the others, I suck! I don't know why, really. I just love numbers.

         Right after Mrs. Abe dismissed her class, she asked me to see her. At first, she praised me on how good I am and she also told me how impressed she was. Then she asked me a favor. "y-y-ou want me to tutor?!" I was shocked! I don't tutor my co-students! Never experienced it! In fact, I’m not a very sociable person. I can't even have decent conversation to anyone. Well, except my bestfriend whom I left at Misuise village. "I’m sorry Mrs. Abe, I can't tutor. I just can’t. Sorry."

         "Come on, Ms. McCarter. We need students like you. Students who are really good at this subject. I know it's only your first day here, but I can see a great potential in you. I can really see how good you are in this subject. Please, just say yes?" she's really good at this! She smiled again like a little girl and she matched it with this puppy eye look! I don't know how she does that. I mean, she could look like a lost girl with these kind eyes and then with just a blink of an eye, she could turn into a mean beast! I couldn't resist her! "o-o-okay Mrs. Abe. I’ll tutor.” That’s it! I’m officially a math geek! That’s the end of my high school life at west coast village!

         "Well, then, maybe tomorrow I can give you your schedule for tutoring. Thanks a lot Ms. McCarter!"

         "Yah, no problem!" yah, sure! There’s no problem! Except that now, I’m a math geek! 





"NEW FRIEND"
CHAPTER 2


         After the whole day at school, I was ready to go home and relax and try not to think about what happened. That was a really bad day for me. Back in my school at Misuise Village, I was never late and back there, I was not a math geek! All the students there don’t care whether you are a geek, or not as long as you don't talk to them. Okay, okay, maybe I am a math geek since then, but people there doesn't give you that "look" when you are good at that certain subject. They just don't care.

         "Hi! I’m Christina. The girl at algebra, the one who threw-"


         "Oh! Yah! How could I forget you? You were the reason why I am now officially a math geek!"

         "I’m sorry for what happened this morning. I just wanna know your name. I just wanna be your friend. But if you don't want me to be your friend, it's okay. I’m sorry again. Well, see you tomorrow!"

         "Hey! I’m sorry for being rude. I’m Amber." well, it's true, she really was the reason why Mrs. Abe called me and asked me to answer the problem at the blackboard. And I love algebra that's why I got right. Why did she have to do that?! Threw a paper on my desk! But anyways, she seems nice and she said she just want us to be friends. So, why not be friends, right?!

         "I’m really sorry for what happened this morning. I really am. And by the way, being a geek isn't that bad. I mean, it's what we're here for, right?! To learn and study. They just give this "label" of being a geek to these students who are

studying so hard and who get high grades because they can't. Well, it's just a label and as long as you know yourself, you'll do just fine."

"Yah, of course! But you know, I’m new here and I just want to make a good impression to others. But I think your right! Who cares if they call me a geek? Actually, I’m happy being a math geek and having high grades at this subject." Christina was absolutely right! She actually enlightened me by her words! She was the only one who had the guts to make friends with me and I nearly blew it. How foolish was I?

After a long talk with Christina, we decided to go home and we exchanged numbers so that we could chat all night.  And on my way home, just a few blocks away from ours, I saw a boy sitting on a bench. He was about the same age as mine. He was holding his mobile phone and he was staring on it blankly. Then when he saw me looking at him, he stared at me like I’m some kind of a criminal and as if I’m gonna do something bad to him. He was really creepy! So, I looked away as if I never looked and noticed him sitting there. I walked straightly ahead to our home and I walked really fast. I was afraid he might follow me and kill me!

That night, I can’t stop thinking about him and the way he stared at me. He really creped me out! And so, after my mother and I ate our supper, well, it was just the two of us ‘coz my father was too busy on his work, I immediately called up Christina to tell her about that boy I saw. I told her how creepy it was to be stared by him and how I reacted by that. We talked and laughed about it all night. I really enjoyed talking to her. It just felt like I was talking to my bestfriend back at Misuise Village. But of course, I never forgot my bestfriend. She’s like the best of all the bestfriends in the whole wide world. 

© Copyright 2008 oLa_06 (viola06 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1368746-THE-DIARY-OF-AMBER-MCCARTERchapter-12