*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1369150-The-Never-Ending-Night
by Kiara
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1369150
A short story about a supernatural night that never seemed to end.
I was walking home after the usual boring day at work, The street was straight, with tall buildings lining either side of it, between the buildings were dark alley-ways, I had always been vigilant when walking past them, especially at night, but I was yet to encounter any problems. Already an eerie fog had begun to creep up from the drains that ran deep underneath the city, imparing my vision, adding to that was the strangest feeling, hanging in my stomach like a bag of stones, I felt as though I was being watched so I increased my pace.

By now I was starting to feel quite sick with fear, the butterflies in my stomach had gone crazy, but I maintained my rapid walking speed. What I saw next would make my heart almost stop dead in my chest. I looked down one of the dark, fog filled alley-ways to see two glowing yellow eyes staring at me, accompanied by a deep vicious growl. The dark shadowy figure began to slowly move towards me, I spun on my heels and ran as fast as my legs could carry me towards my house. Close behind me I could hear something following me, but I couldn't build up the courage to glance back to discover what was chasing me. I reached the house and ran inside, frantically locked the door and tore through the house at break-neck speed attempting to scan the room for knife to defend myself with. I tip-toed around the house, vigilant about the possible danger I could be in, but there was only darkness, and all that could be heard was my rapid heartbeat pounding like thunder within my chest. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. I crept over, swung the door open with my knife at the ready, only to find my best friend Rachael, astonished nd terrified at the same time she managed to stutter:

"What are you planning on doing with that?"

"Self defence! Something chased me home from work, quick, get inside before it comes back!" I breathlessly replied, not taking any time to peek outside I slammed the door and rapidly activated the locks yet again.

Rachael looked confused as I went on to explain what had happened. Then she proceeded to narrate to me what series of events she had withstood. It turns out that she was chased by a the same 'thing', she managed to escape from it, but was left with a large scratch on her neck from one of it's claws. As I saw her weeping wound thoughts bagan to flood my mind, 'What if the creature was a were-wolf?'.

I asked Rachael to leave, and literally had to push her out of the house, I again locked the door once she had left then resumed my 'guard' of the house. I found myself walking around the house, knife in hand, scanning the room for any movement, listening for any sound, something sounded outside the window, I cautiously walked over and drew the curtains, as I did so the window shattered sending sharp shards of glass flying towards me like missiles, I fell to the ground and curled up into a fetal position to try and protect myself, and upon standing I was greeted by a large wolf-like creature with large yellow eyes which shimmered in the moonlight, It was so surreal, the minute shards of glass caught the reflection of the glowing full moon, and sent beams of light dancing around the room. Alas whilst I had been day-dreaming at the flickering beams of light, the creature had crept closer, and as my attention fell back on the creature it lept up and knocked me off my feet, it had me pinned to the ground, I stuggled for freedom, but I couldn't escape from it's powerful grip, it raised its claw into the air and was ready to wound me, I remembered the knife and drove it through the cretures paw. The creature released me from its grip, let out a cry of pain and limped away into the darkness.

The house was an appalling mess, blood stains on the white carpet, broken windows with jagged glass, not to mention that I had just lost mum's best knife! Strangely enough, my parents weren't at home, and I was beginning to wonder where they were, but I had problems of my own, I was not safe in the loungeroom anymore, so I grabbed another knife and ran into my room. I would be safe there, just as long as the creature doesn't find the hole in the base of the chimney, but I was not so lucky, The roof sighed and creaked, heavy breathing was sounding from the air vent above my bed, and as I built up the courage to look I saw the two piercing yellow eyes. The vent exploded with a gust of icy air that would have made Antarctica feel warm, and the creature jumped out and started towards me, it had me cornered when the light dimmed as the moon snuck behind a large black storm-cloud. The creature dropped to the ground, and before I knew it I saw Rachael lying there in the creatures place. Astonished I ran to the other side of the room, Rachael Managed to whisper;
"Help me"
But I didn't want to go near her, for I feared that the moon would soon appear again. I apologised for stabbing her arm, but she insisted that I hadn't hurt her, I began to question her,
"so there is more than one... creature?"
But before she could respond to my question the moon resumed its glowing position in the sky and once again I was cornered by the creature. It's eyes were filled with rage as it began to move towards me, but suddenly it stopped, pricked it's ears as if listening to something, then ran out of the house.

As I dwelled on my thoughts I looked up at the moon, I was drawn to it's calming glow, and my eyes shimmered in the light that was thrown, I shook my head to escape the strange 'trance' and walked over to a broken mirror, only to see a large scratch on my face, with dark red blood dripping down my cheek. I thought that the wound must have been inflicted by the shards of glass which had taken the form of tiny missiles when the window shattered, and didn't really think much of it.

I heard a scream from in the Lounge room, I walked out to find mum and dad looking shocked, mum fell into a chair after becoming light headed when she was greeted with the mess. Dad lit the fire and a warming glow filled the room. Mum took her jacket off, and I managed to catch a glimpse of the blood-stained sleeve, I then looked at her arm to see a large gaping wound, this reminded me of the creature, and mums best knife (which was now probably lost forever). As I dwelled on this I looked up to see mum pulling a blood-stained knife out of her hand-bag, and it wasn't just any knife, it was the knife that I had stabbed the creature with. I looked at her with a horrified expression, and she turned to look at me just as the moonlight shone in the window, making her eyes shimmer. I fell to the ground.

I awoke with a start, noticing that mum and dad were again gone I scambled to my feet and noticed that the moon was still out, as I stood wondering what had happened I realised that I was standing on four legs, my hands and feet had become paws, and my screams were heard as howls. One thought kept pulsing through my mind 'Was this night ever going to end?'

© Copyright 2008 Kiara (green_day_gur1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1369150-The-Never-Ending-Night