*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1369993-From-Me-To-Me-A-Scolding-Letter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(141)
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Biographical · #1369993
A list of items to accomplish in 2008. What else should I do on Writing.com?
Dear Me,

You really slipped in 2007, Judity.

Not only did you fail somewhat to review everyone who was nice enough to read your stories, but I'd even say you failed miserably. Come on, get off your lazy bum; let others know what you think of their stories. Remember to be polite and encouraging, however, even with the ones you don’t like.

Okay, so you don't read or review stories about vampires or wizards or even poetry, except on the rarest of occasions. You should try your hand at writing about at least one vampire or wizard to see if you can do it. Poetry is another matter. I know your education is woefully lacking since you don’t know the difference between a sonnet and a ghazal, but that’s why we have Google. You wrote articles on researching through Google, now practice what you preached and use it!

There is a wealth of stories on Writing.com going begging for reviews, particularly those by newbies. I know you pretty much concentrated on members with a (1) after their name and those with gray names last year, but you can do way better in 2008. Go explore the many old-timers with black, yellow, and blue portfolios saved in your My Favorites listing. Also, try to spread more gift points around. Don’t be stingy with them!

You also need to finish Home of the Gray Dog so you can dig into the third of your trilogy. I mean, you bought books from Amazon all about the 19th century during the time Home of the Green Dolphin will be set, so what are you waiting for? Do you plan on letting someone else write about the ancestors of a main character in Home of the Red Fox? Talk about being lazy, Judity!

I have to ask you what's with only entering "The Writer's Cramp daily contest in 2007? There are scads of other contests here where all new reviewers might appreciate your stories in the next 12 months. Expand your literary horizons, Judity, and check out a couple other contests, maybe in genres you haven't tried before.

In 2007, you managed to eke out a little erotic story some people enjoyed. That was a fun area to explore, wasn't it? Okay, stop blushing at remembering all the porn sites you forced yourself to visit, purely in the name of research. Didn’t I tell you it would be almost impossible to find pictures for your story that didn’t show full frontal nudity? It took weeks, but you did fairly well, especially that one of Vulcan taking a shower.

I am proud of you for attempting something Mum would scold you for writing if she were still with us. Although, maybe she wouldn’t since I can remember that prim New Englander rhapsodizing long distance about Robert Culp’s wiggly walk.

You also did manage to post 25 entries in your portfolio along with adding many chapters to your novels. You can do much better, though, in 2008. Why not check out the genres you haven't tried before? There is an extensive list of them at the top of your home page. You are in a rut, Judity, which is a death knell for a writer. What happened to your idea of writing short stories based on various Neil Diamond songs? You also bought a few books specializing in prompts for writers. Crack them open and give wings to your imagination!

Okay, you're getting this since it seems you need a wake-up call to get you moving. Think of these as New Year's resolutions. No, forget that since you always fail at those. (grinning)


//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Written for "Dear Me: Official WDC Contest
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
© Copyright 2008 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1369993-From-Me-To-Me-A-Scolding-Letter