*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1370441-Rotten-Apples
Rated: E · Draft · Action/Adventure · #1370441
This is the prologue for Rotten Apples, a YA novel in its infancy. Enjoy : ) .
Prologue

          I’d never given much thought to fairy tales. They were simple stories told to children before bed. Some contained morals parents wanted their children to remember: “Don’t judge based on appearances” - Beauty and the Beast, “Don’t alienate others” - The Little Mermaid. While others offered guidelines most people would never really need to worry about, such as “Beware of Giants” – Jack and the Beanstalk, and “Run away if you happen upon a house made of gingerbread” – Hansel and Gretel.
          I, unfortunately, was not your average 16 year-old girl. Accidents constantly seem to befall me, which was how I ended up in a land filled with all of the characters from these fairytales, on a quest I never would have voluntarily accepted.
I know, I know, most heroines would never admit to this. In all of the traditional stories the heroes or heroines seems so brave, or if not brave, at least capable of handling a measly dragon, 12 dwarves, and a couple of witches – all at once.
          But I am not one of them.
          While capable of putting on a brave face, I must admit that I am terrified of heights, speaking in public and dark spaces. And yet here I am, standing in front of a deep, damp, dark cave, praying that my legs won’t buckle as soon as a take a step toward my destiny, death, or both...



© Copyright 2008 star-gazer (star-gazer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1370441-Rotten-Apples