*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1372164-People-people-who-need-people
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1372164
I wonder if I'll ever understand ...
I wonder if I'll ever understand people. Why can't we all give one another the benefit of the doubt? My goodness, life gets crazy sometimes even for those who are  usually in a good mood, upbeat or whatever. Life is never perfect for anyone.

Different things that can change a persons attitude are a death in the family, or health problems or any other major catastrophe. Others have a hard time when they get a speeding ticket, or have problems at home, problems at work, etc., etc. Yes, I know, we're all expected to keep our problems at home, but does that work for you? All the time? You're telling me you're always in a good mood? If nothing usually gets you down, the attitudes of others can and will wear away at your great day when you least expect it.

I'm usually in a good mood, optimistic, and I try to give people I don't know the benefit of the doubt. Although, to be honest, for some reason I do have a problem accomplishing that with my family members, maybe it's because they forget to give others the benefit of the doubt, but this isn't about them.

I work in retail, to a lot of people that says it all, but for those of you who haven't I'll try to be more specific. I know that understanding people goes both ways in any service type field. We all run into rude, aggravating folks that are working in the places we shop, eat and spend money in. If the same person is always rude, or aggravating then possibly there is no hope for them, but maybe all they need is a kind word thrown their way, or a word of understanding, encouragement, comfort.

Most people have their bad days, that's just the way it is. One of the hardest things is to ask someone how they are and to get a non-stop rendition of complaints. Unfortunately, I've been there, done that. Well, not exactly, I've had periods of complaining, just not non-stop. I found out the hard way that complaining doesn't resolve anything, besides who wants to listen? Most complainers either haven't figured that one out yet or they choose not to.

I work in a large supercenter similar to Wallmart, but it's only located in the mid-west. A few months ago we got u-scan systems that allow for larger orders. I tried helping a gentleman possible in his 50's, he wasn't very co-operative, no patience, was in a hurry, and complaining that the system wasn't very fast and what was the point of them? I explained that there were lanes open with cashiers, that these were for those that wanted to use them, and that we weren't trying to force every shopper to use them.

He huffed out of there, and I found out later, that he uses them every week and complains about them every time.

So... needless to say, even though I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt, I wonder if I'll really ever understand people.

words: 519



** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
© Copyright 2008 Marsha Musselman (sha4852 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1372164-People-people-who-need-people