*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377474-Dear-Me-The-2008-letter-to-me
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1377474
A letter to me, detailing my writing goals for the year. For the Dear me contest.
Dear Me-


         A new year, a new start, 2008 is your year to pursue those dreams that keep you awake at night, and you’ll start right here, at writing.com.


         I know, it seems like a daunting task, but remember, the best things in life are worth a little hard work. So let’s start with your writing, or should we say, lack of writing. I know, you’ve been busy with all kinds of things, but if this is what you want to do, you need to get moving lady!


         Remember that great idea you had for a play last week? Neither do I-and that’s why our first goal is to keep an idea journal. So that next time, you don’t end up leaving that great idea on aisle 5 of Albertson’s, right next to your favorite chips. This idea journal doesn’t have to be all perfect, like your borderline OCD compulsions about the ‘sacred cleanliness and organization of the notebook rules’ might tell you-get messy, write upside or sideways, but just write them down (clearly, and maybe not upside down-that may be too much for you…)!


         And after we have that incredible, wonderful, stupendous, earth-shattering idea down? Write it. No really, go ahead and write it! Sometimes the idea might not pan out, but don’t let it be for lack of trying. Dedicate at least an hour to brainstorming those ideas at least once a week, on Sunday. And while you’re doing it, send a little thanks up to the man upstairs (you know, since you can’t technically send him some GPs, right…).


         Now this brings us to some of your long-standing goals that you need to address. Dare I say ‘Societal Sounds’ (remember we were still trying to come up with a better title?)? Gasp! Oh the horror, the HORROR! Let me remind you about it: a 13-act play looking at modern society through the eyes of the political process, or at least a cog in the political process. We have 3 plays in decent shape, and 10 very expansive outlines that even show how the stage is set up! Let’s give ourselves some short term goals of getting that first play up by say February 1st?  Is that too much? It’s ok? Good! Now, the whole thing needs to be finished buddy, and you gave yourself till July 4th to get it completely done, and up on writing.com, so if I were you (and, coincidently, I am) I would get moving and try to finish the 9 left in a week and a half to two weeks each.


         Also, a more recent idea, Forest Guardians, let’s get that rolling as well. You’ll need to get up that Prologue by February 1st as well.  Remember when you think, ‘oh, it’s too much, too much work’ that the Prologue is already done and just needs some refining of the mythology. And, you ask, as for the writing and refining of the rest of the book? I’ll take it easy on you and let you get away with 2 chapters a month.


         These two projects should be your main focus, ok?


         Your next goal of course, should be to read! Here’s what you need to do, I know for a fact that you need some more information on wolves, forests, and bears-you know the rest. Let’s set a goal to get books on that by the end of February. Now, as for the rest of your reading, let’s set a general goal of a book a week-you can do that-easy. Specifically, I want you to reread your Jane Austen, Tolkien, and Harry Potter (there is a reason that Jane is on the top 5 list of western authors, Tolkien has endured, and Harry has made JK the first writer/billionaire…). Also, let’s look at our Shakespeare again and some classics we’ve been avoiding!


         Along with reading these works, let’s continue reviewing people as much as we can. Let’s face it, between reading trashy gossip columns and reviewing someone else’s work, we know which is better (besides, we get enough Hollywood news on our local news…). Let’s set a goal of at least 3 a day…one at least a newbie (like you, hehemm…). More is always better. And, why don't you make a promise to yourself not to rate without a review… as an author, it is frustrating to see a rating and not know why. As for the review length, let’s keep it above 500 characters, a gold star for 1000 or more!


         Besides this, let’s talk about contests. Writer’s Cramp is a great way to keep those ideas flowing, so let’s try to do it every day, but set a concrete goal of every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If you do it every day, I’ll let you go to Cold Stone Creamery for a treat! Also, let’s always enter the official contests, they seem pretty important. Now, let’s also keep our eye out for any other interesting contest. Even if you don’t win, it is exposure, as well as writing, and any writing is good.


         So there it is-your goals for 2008, set on virtual stone for all to see, so let’s do it! Let’s work as hard as we can to make this thing happen. After all, who else can make your dream into reality, except you?


Signed,

Me (yourself)

© Copyright 2008 Kaliko M~Reaching for Truth~ (kalikohmotta at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377474-Dear-Me-The-2008-letter-to-me