*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1378099-Whats-In-A-Name
by Emily
Rated: E · Assignment · Writing · #1378099
History of the name EMILY
What's In A Name?
         The name Emily is as soft as velvet and seems to roll off of the tip of your tongue. It comes from the Latin language and is said to have originated from a variety of places. Those places consist of Germany, France, and Teutonic. Although the name Emily is as common as a person with two eyes, it is what makes me “me.” It has been ranked the most popular female name since 1995. The name Emily did not run in the family. Instead, I was named after a famous poet named Emily Dickinson.
         My name has not really affected my life in any way, but my last name Curtin has. It has given me an advantage in the sense that since my last name is near the beginning of the alphabet, I am one of the first to get called in role, for activities, and for getting lined up in school. My name is a simple addition problem, very easy to say and do. People have not really had a special reaction to my name, but I have gotten “That is a common name.” or “That is a pretty name.” as comments. I don't think my name makes my friends and family think any differently of me. My name is a birthday cake, sweet all around. I think my name is a fun name and people feel comfortable saying it.
         The name Emily has several different meanings. There so many adjetives and nouns to describe Emily it is like a circle, it goes on forever and ever. These are the definitions I came upon while I was researching. Emily means rival, industrious, work, admirable, hard work, flattering, striving, eager, ambitious, to excel, and laboring. I think these words describe me because I work hard (which is what many of those words meant) to accomplish my goals such as making a team, or getting an A on a quiz. For me, giving up is just not the answer.
         When people say my name, it sounds like laughter ringing in your ears. You can almost taste the warm peach cobbler, melting in your mouth, and the sweet aroma of a cinnamon Yankee candle flows through the air. Often, a mental image of a wild monkey, who gets all the viewers laughing comes through my mind. And sometimes it seems like a cool summer breeze seems to blow over you at the sound of my name.
         There are many forms of the name Emily. A few common examples of this are Amalie, Emelia, and Emilie. I love my name, for I find it as a beautiful sun setting on the horizon of the beach. But if I were to change it, I would make my new name be Nicole which is equally beautiful. Over the years I have been nicknamed Em, Miss Em, M&M, Emmy, Emma, and Miss Emily. Of course I like my real name better, but I am fine with those names as well. Once I have children, I would name the girl Nicole, Elizabeth, or Sara. For the boys it would be Tyler, David, or Joshua. I love names, for they are what individualizes each and every person as who they are.
         

© Copyright 2008 Emily (adidas28011 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1378099-Whats-In-A-Name