*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1381303-Connor-and-I-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Teen · #1381303
Another day in the life of Zoey.
          It only took about twenty minutes for the sweaty boys to call it quits. Their shirtless bodies glistened in the sun, water dripped from their hair. Chests heaved up and down, and sticks dragged on the pavement. If you asked me, I think they fit into a Gatorade commercial. If that were the case, I would probably drink Gatorade for the rest of my life. I'd be the inventor of Gatorade Soup, no word of a lie.

          I must admit, they played with an intensity that I had never seen. They raced up and down the street, fighting to maintain the lead. It was as if they were playing for their souls. Okay kinda creepy, but it paints a pretty accurate picture. They kinda reminded me of gorillas fighting for a banana. Gorgeous gorillas, of course.

          Personally, I would have dropped dead with exaustion after 5 minutes of that. No doubt about it, I-haven't-had-this-much-excercise-since-ever drop deadedness. Not going to lie, I'm not what you'd call "all-star material". Sure, pick me to be on the team, just don't expect me to catch the ball. You see, me and the ball have made a mutual agreement. We have a "I don't touch you, you don't hit me in the head and give me a concussion" deal. Either way, we all win in the end, right?


          Finally, they heaved the net back onto their shoulders, and called it quits. I moved forward, leaning my shoulder against the window pane. I watched them walk to the end of the street.

          I slunked out of my bedroom, coming to the conclusion that a peanutbutter sandwich could make this better. You give me a problem in life, I just laugh, make myself a peanutbutter sandwich and that would be the end of that, no questions asked.

          Unfortunatly, peanutbutter did not count as a mandatory needed item in Oakville, so it slipped my moms mind to bring some with us. Such a careless thinker my mother is. Doesn't she know that life as we know it could end because she just so happened to have "forgot" the peanutbutter? Who does that, really?

          I decided that I was too young to have the world end on me, so I scooped some loose change off the kitchen counter and with a quick "Be right back" to my mom, and ran out the door. I was a girl on a mission. Me, Zoey Dash, peanutbutter lover and world saver. Let's see Steven Speilberg write that one up and sell it.

         I walked to the end of my driveway and tried to remember where I had seen a convenient store. Had we passed one on the way into town? With a defeated sigh I headed off in the direction the boys had trotted off in.

          I guess luck was on my side for once because not to far down, I spotted a 7/11. I walked inside, the chilly wind rushing out to meet me. It was a pretty small store with all the cholesteral based items anyone could ask for. Chips, chicken, fryed Twinkies, you name it. That 7/11 had it. So you can understand my dilema when looking for the peanut butter. Was it next to the pre-melted butter or in the next aisle by the triple stuffed Oreos?

          I guess I looked pretty lost because I heard a silky voice call out from behind me "Hey, do you need some help?" I felt my cheeks flush. How lame is that? Not being able to kind something in a corner store?

          Without turning around I shot back, "Well I can't seem to find the peanut butter, but you know, the chicken paste is in plain sight." I heard a laugh and footsteps. I was scanning the shelves like there was no tomorrow, so I didn't notice at first when he held out a jar of peanutbutter. I looked up and my heart stopped. Omigosh, Wonder Boy works at 7/11. Best store of life.

          I just stood there, and looked from him to the jar. He gave me a small smile. "Were you looking forward to finding it on your own?" he asked, "Because if you were, then I can go hide it and we can make a game out of it."

          I tried hard to think of something clever to say, but my mind was in a tangle. So instead I just took the peanutbutter form his outstretched hand and mumbled a quiet thanks, all the while keeping my eyes on the ground.

          I heard another quiet laugh as he walked to the register. I followed him He also put on a little smile as he took the peanutbutter jar out of my hand and scanned it. "So nothing else?" he said jokingly, handing the jar back.

         I looked up, suddenly finding my wit once again. "Well aside from the onion rings shaped as Qs over there, I think I'm alright."

         He raised a eyebrow and smirked. "Well aren't you a fiesty one. What your name? Mines Connor."

          "Zoey," I said, slightly tilting my head sideways, trying desperately to think of the things I learned in magazines over the years. Tilt, smile, laugh, look at the ground, look back up then look away. Appearently this is how you bag a piece of "Dream Date Pie". I was lucky enough to get up to smile."I'm new here." I handed him the money.

          "Well that was obvious from the moment you stepped in here." he said, grabbing the money from my hand. " You practically smell like a new person.'

          " Well actually, I bought this scent from Wal-mart. It's quite popular from where I was from." I said as I accepted the change and pocketed it. I grabbed onto my beloved peanutbutter and turned to leave. "Eau de la New Kid."

          "And where would you be from?" he called to my turned back.

          "Brantford." I shot over my shoulder, continuing out the door.

          "Well I hope you found everything you needed!" he called out. I put on my own little smile of my own as I walked out the door. In more ways then one, I thought to myself. I went home humming.
© Copyright 2008 ~*~Noelle Sapphire~*~ (messykessy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1381303-Connor-and-I-Chapter-2