*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384014-A-Response
Rated: 13+ · Column · LGBTQ+ · #1384014
In response to an off-site article on the Word of God and gays.
The following is a response I wrote to an article/op-ed piece on another website. My response item should be listed as entry number 59 (dated February 3, 2008). However, the author of that article seems to have a history of deleting opposing view comments. Copy and paste the following link into your address box to read the article and responses he was willing to leave in place. I have tried several times to link it from the edit page, but that is not working for some reason. However, the link does work.

www.socyberty.com/Gay-&-Lesbians/What-the-Word-of-God-Says-About-Homosexuality.54341


If the following comment is not listed then he will have deleted that as well. I just wanted to be sure that there was a record of my response somewhere.




Jupiter. This is a struggle I have been going through for several decades now. I have taken all these questions to God in prayer, in study, in action.

As far as the study portion goes, I have read papers and books, and listened to sermons galore of many different Christian (Protestant and Catholic) ministers, preachers, pastors, and Biblical scholars.

While you are correct in saying that the various listings of the homosexual acts listed in the Old Testament are levitical law, what does not seem to be taken into account is the time and language contexts in which they were written. The same goes for the New Testament passages quoted.

Any and all languages are going through their own "cycles of life" - they all have a birth, growth, and death. The Hebrew language and Greek language of today are not the same as they were 2000 to 5000 years ago. The same goes for the English language, though it is a much younger language.

Taken in the context of both the original languages and times in which these various passages were written, virtually every reference to homosexuality was directed to the pagan (and yes even sometimes Jewish) practices of ritual sex within the various temples and "churches" of the day. In no way can they be shown to refer to the same-sex type of love relationships that are recognized as homosexual today. They are referring strictly to "temple prostitution". Plain and simple.

Another thing to quickly point out as far as the New Testament goes, not even Jesus had anything to say about homosexual (same-sex) love relationships - not one word. Though he had plenty to say about straight (opposite-sex) relationships. His one comment in regards to Sodom and Gomorrah, if you carefully read his whole speech at that point, is in regards to how the disciples should react if they were not treated in accordance with the laws of hospitality. This was the offensive sin of those two cities that was so despicable to God in the Old Testament.

Yes, I am gay. Yes, I am a Christian. Yes, this is the consensus I have come to with God. Let the Bible translate and corroborate itself. If you want to express a personal opinion, state it as such. If you do not want any type of open-minded discussions about the topic, then keep your opinions to yourself. Remember that a mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Thank you for taking the time to listen with an open mind. And may God bless you.


For a greater expansion and better representation of my view on this subject, please visit http://www.godmademegay.com/ and read the letter there. It was written by a Baptist minister in the 1990s (?) as a result of his research into this subject. His research was a result of a problem one of his friends/parishioners who had come to him regarding a troubling statement a relative of hers made.His research and writing even had a couple of surprises for me when I read it.
© Copyright 2008 Douglas returning (listener at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384014-A-Response