*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384276-The-Debt
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1384276
Brotherly love is tested. (Dialogue 500 Contest Entry.)
“Are you sure this is a good idea?”

“Just do it already.”

“I don’t like this.”

“Nobody asked if you like it. Just do it!”

“But she’s only a child.”

“So? We’re not going to hurt her.”

“But she’s going to be scared. Confused...”

“She’ll get over it! She’ll be back with her family in a few hours.”

“What if they don’t pay?”

“They’ll pay.”

“But what if they don’t?”

“Jesus, stop with all the fucking questions! Will you get over there and grab her already?”

“There’s got to be another way.”

“There is no other way.”

“We can talk to them. Get an extension.”

“You don’t think I already tried that? Look, if we don’t get the money in the next twenty-four hours, I’m dead. There’s no two ways about it. This is the only way.”

“Please don’t make me do this.”

“You owe me this.”

“Please...”

“I’m your brother... the brother that’s always been there for you. The brother that’s bailed you out every time you’ve gotten into trouble. Remember when you wrecked Dad’s car and I took the blame so he wouldn’t hit you again?”

“I remember.”

“And remember when you fell into the pool when you were little and I jumped in to save you? Say you remember!”

“I remember! I remember!”

“That’s what brothers do. They help each other out. And now, for the first time in our lives, I’m asking my little brother for help. After all the times I’ve helped you, I’m asking you to do one thing for me. I don’t like this either, but it’s my only option.”

“Why can’t you be the one to grab her?”

“Because she’ll recognize me, stupid. I mow their fucking lawn every week. You think I’d be in the clear once little Janie tells Mom and Dad that the fucking gardener grabbed her??? Look, there’s no one else around and her mom’s way over there talking on her cell phone. Just get over there and I’ll bring the van around.”

“No.”

“What do you mean, no?”

“I’m not going to do this. I’ll help you find another way to get the money, but I’m not doing this.”

“You owe me.”

“Owe you for what? For getting me out of trouble when I was a kid? When I didn’t know any better? Well, I know better now... and I know this isn’t right.”

“They’re going to fucking kill me!”

“We’ll find another way.”

“There is no other way!”

“Then you're on your own.”

“Wait! Where are you going? Come back! COME BACK!!!”


(426 words)
© Copyright 2008 Jeff (jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384276-The-Debt