*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384642-Pych-Class-And-Aging
Rated: E · Essay · Opinion · #1384642
A Psych Essay I was particularly fond of.

There are a lot of people who see aging as a negative thing but after reading this chapter I have learned that along with the negative there are positives. The first example I would love to bring up is how the book mentioned that in today’s society we are taught that youth is beauty. A good majority of beauty products today are designed to help cover up age spots and dye grey hair. “Those grey hairs and wrinkles are lifes trophies” I think that sentence alone make a very good point that not a lot of people really stop to think about. Every wrinkle and every grey hair could be every life lesson you have learned and every piece of knowledge and experience you have gained over the years. Sometimes we don’t really stop to think that an 85 year old man knows so much more about life then a 25 year old man. In that 85 years that man could have seen more than most of us will ever see.
Then there is a point when the AARP is mentioned. This can be a very positive thing for the elderly as people grow older unfortunately sometimes it becomes difficult to do things on there own and peoples health isn’t what it used to be and they need medical attention and maybe even need to be in a place where they can be taken care of if need be. Organizations like the AARP can help bring comfort to aging so people know that just because you have gotten older society has not forgotten about you.
Then there are good old grandma and grandpa who also is mentioned in the book. I know for me they always had stories to tell about there life and it was always stories I wanted to hear. I remember learning about pearl harbor at an early age because my grandfather was there when it was bombed. I always got to hear from my grandma what it was like to grow up on a farm in Ohio. I even learned a lot about Poland from my fathers mother and what it was like when she was a child. When I was young I could never hear enough and I still to this day find myself asking questions about my grandmother childhood. The people who actually experienced some of histories biggest moments can teach us about them so much more than any history book could.
Unfortunately like any situation in life there can be many negatives to aging. The elderly are often targets for scams and con artist. The elderly are often viewed as helpless or weak. Most health issues become a bigger threat in old age and it is not uncommon to become sick severely. I myself have lost a grandfather to Alzheimer and a grandmother to diabetes. My grandmother the poor woman how was she to know that stubbing her toe in the bathroom would result in ending her life.
Then there’s the fact that wether or not the elderly are weak and vulnerable society perceive it that way. A great example from this chapter would be the part about “Pa not driving” because he is to old and how you would drive with pa over anybody else any day. Although that man has more experience than any of us and has been driving through all the changes that have been made over time we are still afraid to drive with him simply because he is old. Most elderly fear the fact that they are becoming older they are afraid that by calling for help they are bothering there family or that if they repeat the same story or forget something they will automatically be branded with alz or some other disease and be thrown in a nursing home. I know from personal experience that my grandmother is a worrier she worries more than anybody I know and not just worries but loses sleep over it. It causes her to be sick sometimes and a lot of the times she worries about the rest of us and not enough about herself.
I think there are a few improvements that can be made in society to better help the elderly. I do think that presently there is a lot being done for the elderly but more can be done. I think it just simply comes down to family and friends. Some people really need to stop and think as much as we are viewing our elders weak or vulnerable we only think that because we are growing up in a different time period then they did. We have different views on society and it is sometimes hard for them to understand things like we do.
Family is a big part not to say that there are many people who help out a lot but, don’t wait for mom or grandma to call. Call them or stop by, take them out for dinner or to a movie, spend holidays with them. One most important thing is listen and talk. If they know that you are there any time thy need something and even if they just want company your life is not to busy for them I think that can help with there fears a lot. If they know your there then maybe they wont be so afraid to repeat a story or forget something. If they feel there is in fact something wrong then they will tell you. You can suggest they get a regular check up so often just to make sure they are in good health. Take them out for a walk sometime keep playing an active role and don’t let them think that they are vulnerable or weak just because they are older.
I also think that decent staffing in retirement homes and nursing homes plays a big role for those who are at the point where they do need extra help. I worked as a waitress in the dining room of an independent living facility (Providence Place) I know from what I was told that the staff is what the residents love so much. They want to feel welcome and comfortable especially if it is someplace where they may have to live out the rest of there days.
© Copyright 2008 Anne Stars (nikixway84 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384642-Pych-Class-And-Aging