*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1385029-Dangerous-Break-Chapter-1
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Horror/Scary · #1385029
What if the russians landed on the moon in 1961....and brought something back with them?
The NS Timor is a nuclear powered icebreaker ship belonging to the Arktik Class. Commissioned in 1993 by the Admiralty Shipyard in St. Petersburg, The Timor was designed to travel the Northern Seaway including the eastern parts of the Barents Sea, the Eastern Siberian Sea and eventually the Bering Strait. Eventually finished in 2006, it was a large, modern ship. The Timor is one hundred and thirty-nine meters long and 55 meters from keel to masthead with a displacement ratio of 25,000 tons. Powered by 2 OK-900A Reactors, the ship has 3 propellers totalling approximately 75,000 hp. The maximum ice thickness for this class is no more than 2.8 meters and is capable of cruising speeds up to 20 knots, which make it more than capable to clear the rivers and portways along the Northern Passage.

The ship can be crewed by as little as 138 skilled sailors but can accomadate up to 200 crew members and one hundred passengers. It is equipped with one gymnasium, one cinema, a swiming pool and a bar where live music is offered as well as maritime relaxation. In addition, the ship had to be refuelled only once every four years. When the Temyr was picked up by radar techincians stationed in Pevek, Russia located near the Bering Strait, no radio contact was able to be intitiated. Radio personnel found this odd but could do nothing but wait for the large ship to come into docking range.


Alexander Kinski was an American born russian citizen who grew up traveling the more remote parts of eatern russia, the arctic ocean and numerous seaways as a result of being the son of Captain Stoeren Kinski. Although Alexander had years of experience as a seasoned sailor he now found himself working quite happily in the radio room for the Straudry Seaport in Pevek. At 34 years old alexander wanted nothing more than to continue working for Staudry until he could retire with the gaurantee of his annual pension. He held no regret for the loss of his desire to travel on the big icebreaking ships that frequented the port. In fact he was content to never see the deck of any ship as long as he could help it.

In some way he felt that his fathers death – a result of his determination not to leave his ship when she rolled in the warmer, rougher pacific ocean – could have had a solid impact on these feelings but inside he knew that it was his own ingrained stubborness of at least not following his fathers footsteps that far that caused him to take the position in Pevek. At least his mother harbored no ill will towards him for not taking up as his father had done, in fact she had decided on her own to move to Pevek with him even though Pevek was not exactly the cultural epicenter of modern russia. Whenever alexander had the chance to speak to her about it she would simply shrug off his requests that she move back home with family and friends, whom he was very sure she missed dearly, and change the subject.

It was in fact, after one of these talks that he found himself working but unable to focus on the small screen in front of him, instead, mulling over his family situation, that he noticed the small blip of an incoming ship.

"Sir we have an unidentified vessel at bearing 64-9B".

The "Sir" he drirected the question to was retired captain Franz Hargener a dutch man now doing god knows what in this arctic wasteland. Although it was rumored that his mental faculties prevented him from the operation of ships any longer, he appeared more than capable to Alexander. "Establish and maintain radio contact. Find out which ship we got here Mr. Kinski".

"Yes sir". " Incoming vessel, this is Radio Personel Alexander Kinski for Staudry Seaport. Please identify yourself. Over." Only the faint crackling of random static seemed to come from the old speakers. " I repeat, incoming vessel, this is Radio Personel Alexander Kinski for Staudry Seaport. Please identify yourself." As he waited on a response from the ship he made a note of the speed of the approaching blip. " Sir, unidentified vessel is approaching at triple port speeds. She's about 23 kilometers out and closing." " Continue attempting radio conctact and monitor port distance every kilometer. Send out messages on emergency frequency 341 and see if you can get an answer. Someone find Oleg and have him check that these machines are working properly".

Peter "Oleg" Abelev was the maintence tech at the port and was more often than not found at the local bar down on the docks. When forced back to work he could be a great asset though so Alexander picked up the phone to call not knowing that whether nor not he found Oleg, radio contact with the ship wasn't going to happen since the entire 148 man crew had been dead for more than 12 hours.


"Sir, a couple of things….we were able to pick up a message from the ship on the emergency frequency and I got ahold of lena down at the tavern and she hasn't seen Oleg for a couple days." Although he didn't voice his concern, this was not something to be ignored and just as soon as he figured out the issues at hand he would look into it.

" We can figure out where Olegs gone later. Put the message on the monitor and amplify times 4." In just a few swift, practiced hand movements Alexander had the audio ready to play.

A female accent thick with Russian influences came through at such a small volume it was barely discernable to straining ears. Alexander thought the voice might have sounded strong and resilient under better circumstances.

" Dreken Seaport. We need assistance. NS Temor stationed out of Dreken…..tenant Marie Sch…is someone on our ship…..and taken from the ice. Captain and most of crew dead. Running out of food…..300 kilometers from Pevek……Please respond…..over".


The frequency strained for a moment and the clarity was lost but once it came back Alexander realized that it was the same message on a delayed loop. " Mr. Kinski, see if you can find out when that signal was originally broadcast, eh? And someone find Oleg!" Alexander thought he heard something in his superiors voice although he wasn't certain enough to let it bother him right then. This was a day with too many things going on to worry about something he might be imagining. And this troubling ship with its cryptic message, he was definitely not dreaming up.

" Sir the ship has reduced speed and is now approaching slowly at 5 knots. Sir I think we need to gather an emergency team and rescue squad to meet the ship when it docks." " Alright then, get it done. Maintain safety procedures and only have as many men on hand as necessary, I don't like the feeling im getting about this." Alexander's response was quick and sharp. " Yes sir."

As Oleg Trampled the ice and snow towards shore he began to regret his decision to get involved in this. If it wasn't for the money he probably would go right back to town and hit the tavern till he didn't remember any of this damn mess, if it wasn't for the money. In addition to all his moral issues the weight of the cold body he carried was becoming quite unbearable and as he thought about dragging it he realized it would only slow him down and since he thought himself a strong man, he should be able to handle the few extra pounds. Besides, he had to get to the ship very quickly, the Scrith would be very Hungry by now not to mention angry at being confined on the ship for so long and the less hungry or angry it was when he arrived, the better he and his health would be.


© Copyright 2008 Baxter St. Clair (chriswilkerson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1385029-Dangerous-Break-Chapter-1