*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1385629-Have-no-fears
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1385629
Short story about a father and a daughter at sea.

She stared at him, giving him that quiet, fathomable look she would give him whenever there was something she was upset about. Her oceanic eyes drilled right trough him, but he stoically chose to ignore her for the time being. He never really knew how to handle her when she was in this foul mood.
The gulls flew over the sails, screaming and diving for more fish, and the sun heated up the deck so that he could walk around in only his bare feet. Thinking, that if he only had more money, he could buy her a large Victorian house, and not keep her trapped on this God forsaken ship. It was driving her mad, and he knew it.
The life of an outlaw, had never been her kind of interest, she had always been more like her mother, in every aspect of the word. His love for the ocean meant nothing to her, and it wouldn't mean anything in the future either.
"Are you even listening to me, Papa?" She almost screamed, but she was a level below in loudness, so he concluded it to be yelling quietly. Her dirty blonde hair blew around her face and those oceanic eyes glared daggers at him, still he didn't really feel the effect of her anger.
His own green eyes searched her face, if this was what she really wanted, but he saw doubt.
As always, it came to this, where he yet again had to decide for her, even though she knew quite well what he would decide for her.
"We're pirates, love, and I'm not planning on getting ashore, anytime soon." He brawled and grinned like a maniac. Her facial expression turned from shock, to anger, to relief. Her eyes closed and she turned her face towards the wind, and let the light breeze blow the hair out of her eyes and a smile decorated her porcelain face.
"Aye, Papa, we're pirates." Her voice barely above a whisper, but he picked up every word as if she had written them in rocks and thrown the rocks at him with the force of cannonballs.
And yet again, she was more like her mother; even when she felt the wonderful embrace of the ocean breeze and the smell of the salty water, she thought of a life on land.
"Oy, Captn' ain't that the ship we saw earlier this mornin'?" The man in the mast shouted down. The father turned his green eyes the way the younger fellow pointed and stared at the horizon with the intensity of a falcon. He saw a black ship, with holes in its black sails and with its keel deep in the water.
The old captain turned to his daughter, his only reminder of the wonderful life he once had led, together with his beautiful wife and the equally beautiful daughter. Her eyes told him that she understood the danger, and his eyes told her to hide, and so with no words uttered in the silent hymn of the sea, father and daughter said their silent goodbyes. No, love-yous' could be heard; only the silent promise of seeing each other again, sometime, somewhere.

She heard, rather than saw the bane of her father, her only family. A sharp bang, a canon ball flying trough the air and burying itself deep into the hull of Maria Serena and the proud ship seemed to shiver. The large mast cracked and fell, taking several comrades of the captain with it in its fall. Men jumped over board, trying to save their own skins, but there on the deck stood her father, proud and strong, a true man of the sea.
Maria Serene was in flames, and in that moment the blue eyed girl saw her fathers ship sink, she heard the song of the sea, the sweet tone only the foam of the salty water drowning a helpless ship could make. She found it to be the most beautiful song in the world, as she knew that her father would have wanted to die together with his only pride, Maria Serene.
And she didn't feel anything when she saw her father go down, nothing but pride.
The small boat she sat in, cramped and uneasy cradled on the waves and with a horizon wherever she looked. Water reached as far as her eye could see, and for the first time in her life, she felt alone.
Only now, she would find the true meaning of her fathers last words before her boat was lowered down to the water.
"Have no fears for tomorrow, love, live your life today."
And she fully intended to.
© Copyright 2008 Zachura (zachura at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1385629-Have-no-fears