*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387210-Ayden--Adonis
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1387210
A fictional love story containing fantastic elements, such as immortality.
Ayden & Adonis

Somewhere, hidden deep within the foothills of the Carpathian mountains, there lies an enchanted forest. Legend has it that these woods are enhabited by stunningly beautiful woodland nymphs.

"I have heard stories from my older, more successful brothers about these amazing creatures that have the power to seduce any man they so choose. Being nothing but a mere commoner, and only 17 years of age...I am looked down upon by everyone in my township. Such feelings of indifference lead me to think that these woods are a more suitable place for me. So...off I go into the wilderness, to find my place in this cruel world."-- Ayden


We now find our subject (Ayden) strolling through the forest, taking note of everything he sees and hears. He thinks to himself..."This place seems dead. All the trees are gray, barkless, and bare. Dead silence. No birds chirping, no sign of life at all." Then, he spots something moving in the distance. "I mean you no harm. I am an outcast just like you.", he cries, desperately.

No response. "It seems that even wild creatures are above me now.", he thinks to himself. Just then, a shilouette appears in the fog. It speaks with a soft, calming tone..."Nothing is above you, unless you allow it to be." Astonished and confused, he sputters..."Wh-wh-who are you?". "I am called Adonis.", she replies.

She gracefully emerges from the fog. The most beautiful creature one can imagine, with hair to rival the dark, starless nighttime sky. Skin fair as a porcelain doll, and even smoother in texture. Everything on her body proportionate to one another, and a face more innocent than a newborn child. Her eyes are deep, gleaming sapphires that are dulled by the veil draping over them. Clad in all-black, holding a delicate rose of pink, she is sublime.

Ayden, still astonished and confused, thinks to himself..."How did she know to lend me advice, when I said nothing?". She smiles and cheerfully says..."Because you are THE ONE. I know it now!". Even further confused, he asks..."How do you mean?". She replies, "You are special.". Taking the veil from her face, and focusing her sapphire eyes on his, Adonis says..."We have a connection beyond words, I hear your thoughts."

Looking into her eyes, he suddenly realizes that she's different...She won't do him harm...Won't look down upon him... Won't ridicule him for being small, or having long hair...Won't take advantage of him like so many others have. And, in this moment of revelation, he feels safe, secure, and comfortable. He even feels wanted, something he has never felt before. Not wanting to be rude in the company of such a splendid woman, he says..."By the way, my name is Ayden."

She smiles. Now calm and collected, he can ask..."What exactly did you mean when you said I was THE ONE?". Adonis replies..."You see, I am a nymph. I am also immortal. I have lived all over the world for over 300 years, and in that time, I have experienced all that man has to offer...except for true love. Being beautiful is a curse, in that, I only attract superficial men not capable of loving someone. I would rather not live than to live without knowing what love is. But, I can't die. So, I decided to come into the forest and just wait for love to arrive. And, I think my wait is over.".

"I think you are right.", he says happily. "If that is true, I can become mortal again.", she says excitedly, "All the ritual requires is a human sacrifice, a fire, and proof of TRUE love." Ayden looks her in the eyes and says..."Do you really want to be mortal?". She replies hastily..."Of course! I would trade ANYTHING for my mortality.". "Wellthen, let us prepare for the ritual!", he says. Adonis interjects, "But, no one has EVER been able to prove true love!". "You just take care of the fire, I shall see to the rest." ,he says convincingly.

[2 hours pass as Ayden runs from the forest, back to his township and grabs a street merchant to use as a sacrifice, and returns to the forest and his eagerly waiting lover]

"The fire is ready!" ,she says in anticipation. "Good, I have the sacrifice. Let's get started." ,he says gloomily. Adonis reads latin from a book, placed on a large, flat rock in front of the fire. She then lays a dagger into the fire to heat. She reads some more from the book, turns to Ayden, and says..."Now is time for the proof of love, and the sacrifice. Get the dagger, and I shall prepare the sacrifice.". He retrieves the red-hot dagger from the flames, as she lies the merchant onto the rock.

He turns to her and says..."I define true love as the will to sacrifice ANYTHING for your love's happiness. I do love you. I do want you to be happy. And, if this is what it takes, so be it.", He kneels over the merchant, raising the dagger over his head, and says..."This is my sacrifice for you, my dear darling Adonis.". Ayden plunges the dagger into his own stomach and collapses instantly. She screams in horror... "He is gone!" The merchant, hands and feet bound together, slithers away from the scene as fast as possible.

Crying uncontrollably, she says to herself..."The human sacrifice is gone. I can't finish the ritual. So, now I am left here alone once more, only, now I have known love and lost it. Which makes it all the more unbearable.".

"Wait!", she screams, realizing that by killing himself, Ayden WAS the human sacrifice. She is mortal again. She pulls the dagger from his body and says..."Wait up, darling. I am not far behind." Adonis kills herself in the same fashion as her lover, and her body falls into his lifeless arms.

FIN
© Copyright 2008 31337h4x0r (31337h4x0r at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387210-Ayden--Adonis