*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387336-Real-Fruit-Filling
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by devo
Rated: E · Other · Romance/Love · #1387336
Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too.
Lindsey trudged downcast through the darkened street, her hands stuffed in her pockets and her eyes cast towards the ground. All around here were the signs of the city closing for the evening. Storefronts stood dark and silent as empty buses crept over the pavement, the declaration of “OUT OF SERVICE” blaring from above the weary driver in angry red LED light. Bars and night clubs spilled streams of people out onto the sidewalk, drunken crowds of carousers and disheveled barflies and stumbling couples sharing slurred declarations of love as they straggled into the darkness.

She looked on with envy as they wandered in all directions, making their way home with arms around shoulders and bodies leaned into one another with the utmost trust. The scene only served to remind Lindsey of what had happened with Clark earlier in the evening. As dates went, theirs was going pretty well – an enjoyable movie, a pleasant dinner and then what began as a lovely dessert. Wrapped around her new boyfriend’s arm, Lindsey led Clark out of the restaurant and to her favorite café. It was a little out of the way, but she insisted on introducing it to Clark and he didn’t mind the walk.

He laughed out loud when Lindsey ordered, sure that she was joking. She had asked for three tarts – one apple, one cherry, one blueberry.

“What’s so funny?” Lindsey asked. Clark stopped laughing and looked at her with an incredulous smile on his face.

“I didn’t know you had such a sweet tooth.” he said. “Are you really going to eat three tarts by yourself?”

“That sounds like a challenge.” Lindsey’s eyes narrowed as she put on a face of mock determination.

“Maybe it is.” Clark grinned. “You finish those tarts by yourself and you can pick the movie next time. We’ll go see the goofiest romantic comedy out there.”

“You’re on.” Lindsey extended her hand and they shook on it. The waitress showed up some time later with her desserts, spreading them out before Lindsey one at a time as though she were the guest at some grand banquet.

Lindsey licked her lips as she looked over the dishes, unable to decide which one to start with. After a moment, she slid the blueberry in front of her and grabbed a fork, pressing it into the firm yet forgiving crown of the pastry. Her eyes widened and her mouth curled into a smile as the crust flaked and gave under the pressure, breaking the dam’s walls and allowing the tiny purple fruits and their syrup to ooze onto the plate. Slowly, deliberately, she lifted the utensil and let it past her parted lips, savoring the slight crunch of the crust between her teeth and the sticky sweetness of the fruit as it coated her tongue.

Clark raised an eyebrow as Lindsey swallowed and released a contented sigh, a look of pure bliss on her face. She broke out of her dreamlike trance when she noticed Clark staring at her with a combination of wonder and mild concern.

“What’s the matter?” she asked. “Did I get some on my lips?”

“No, no, you’re fine.” Clark insisted. “I’ve just never seen anyone take that much enjoyment from a dessert before.”

Lindsey blushed a little and laughed. “I guess I do get a little carried away. There’s almost nothing I love more than a good tart.”

“Oh?” Clark smiled. “And where might I rank?”

“Somewhere between cherry and apple, I’d say.” Lindsey grinned as she took another bite.

They chatted pleasantly about this and that, Clark sipping his coffee and nibbling at his croissant while Lindsey tucked into her tarts. He looked on, amazed, as she effortlessly polished off the desserts one at a time, reducing the miniature castles of fruit and sugar to smears of indigo, scarlet and gold. When the last bite was completed, Lindsey laid the fork across her plate, cleared her throat, and looked up at Clark with a self-satisfied smirk.

“Okay, okay, you win.” Clark chuckled. “I’ll have to keep this talent of yours in mind the next time I see an ad for an eating contest.”

“How thoughtful.” Lindsey smiled. “But I don’t eat like this for any old slop. Just sweets. And tarts are my absolute favorite.”

“Too bad. Still, you’re bound to get fat if you keep eating them three at a time like that.”

Clark laughed and finished off his croissant, unaware that Lindsey was staring at him, open-mouthed and blank-faced. Oh God, she thought, not again. She grimaced as she thought about her last few boyfriends, remembering their expressions as they watched her scarf down sweets, the looks of apprehension and thinly veiled disgust on their faces. Stupid!, she chided herself. Why did you bring Clark here? He turned out to be just like the rest.

But he seems so sweet and thoughtful, Lindsey considered. And even if I hadn’t brought him tonight, he would have found out sooner or later. Now he’s going to leave me just like all those other jerks did when they found out what a pig I was.

“Hello? Lindsey?”

Lindsey snapped out of her self-loathing and looked up to see Clark staring at her, his head cocked to the side and an amused smile on his face.

“I’m sorry, what were you saying?” Lindsey asked, flustered. As if I didn’t know what was coming next, she lamented. I wonder if he’ll say we should just be friends or go with the old stand-by of ‘it’s not you, it’s me’.

“I wanted to know if you were ready to go.” Clark repeated. “It’s getting pretty late.”

“Oh.” Lindsey managed a smile. “Sure.”

They exited the café and stood on the sidewalk for several seconds, embarrassed smiles on their faces as they shyly avoided each other’s affectionate stares.

“I had a great time tonight.” Lindsey broke the silence. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow, okay?”

“Wait, let me walk you home.” Clark offered.

Lindsey smirked and crossed her arms. “I think I can make it home through this rough neighborhood of coffeehouses and galleries just fine, thanks.”

“Well, my main intention was just to keep you company, but you know how mean those graduate students can get when Starbucks closes. Ten minutes without caffeine and they’re just bound to snap.”

“I’ll keep my eyes out.” Lindsey promised with a laugh. She leaned in and gave Clark a kiss on the cheek. “Talk to you tomorrow.”

“Well, okay. Good night.”

“Good night.”

Clark gave her a smile and a little wave before turning and walking off into the night. Lindsey watched him leave for as long as the patchy pale streetlight would allow, standing still and staring vacantly into the distance even after he had vanished into the darkness.

Lindsey couldn’t be sure just how long ago that was. She had wandered aimlessly since leaving the café, fretting over what Clark would say to her the next time they spoke. There was no doubt in her mind that he was planning on breaking up with her. He had shown considerably more tact and courtesy than her previous boyfriends by not dumping Lindsey immediately following dessert like every other man with whom she had shared her irresistible love of sweets. But she knew it would come sooner or later. What guy is going to stick with a girl that’s not only a weirdo, but a pig too?

She sighed and stopped, deciding that she might as well head back to her apartment and get some sleep, if only because it was her experience that emotional devastation was easier to handle when well rested. Lindsey looked around to try and figure out the best way home only to realize that she was standing in a neighborhood that she was completely unfamiliar with. Empty streets and sidewalks divided up buildings of dark, crumbling brick, set with rows upon rows of black lifeless windows. Lindsey wrapped her arms around her body and shivered slightly as a brisk wind chilled her skin, its whistling the only sound rising from her desolate surroundings. This isn’t good, she thought. I must’ve wandered into an abandoned part of town.

Lindsey was about to make a panicky sprint back the way she had come when she caught a glimmer of light out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see a lit storefront just across the street, the glowing window positively radiant compared to the shadowy darkness that surrounded it. Is that store still open?, she wondered. What kind of owner keeps their place open this late? It doesn’t look like anyone even lives around here.

Curious despite herself, Lindsey crossed the street and headed towards the store. As she approached, just what was on display gradually became clear to her, causing Lindsey to stop dead in her tracks just in front of the blank window, her eyes wide and her mouth agape. Just beyond the glass was spread a magnificent display of pastries, pies and cakes and every manner of sweet crusty object, laid out with love and care on a tower of polished metal and frilly white doilies.

Slowly, Lindsey moved to the window, pressing her hands against it like a child in a Christmas movie peering into a toy store. Her expression was one of barefaced wonder and growing desire as she caught sight of a line of gloriously constructed tarts, displayed proudly at eye level in the heart of display. Lindsey couldn’t help but smile as her eyes roamed over their meticulous fabrication, taking in the tiny uniform ridges in the crusts that barely contained the pools of luscious ripe berries. They seemed ready to burst free from their enclosures at any moment, threatening to overflow and spill out onto the immaculate display case.

“What do you want?”

“Gah!” Lindsey cried, startled by the stern voice that had jerked her out of her absent-minded admiration. She jumped back from the window and looked up to see a middle-aged woman in an emerald Victorian dress, the ruffles of fabric cascading gracefully from her waist all the way down to the tips of her toes. Her hair was brilliantly white and crafted into a small neat bun that was balanced perfectly on the back of her head. The woman’s expression was one of leery suspicion, softened somewhat by the rosy cheeks and sparkling forest green eyes that completed a rather charming and elegant face. Lindsey stared at her for a moment, wondering if the Renaissance festival was in town or if this woman was just completely batty.

“I was, uh…” Lindsey meekly began, “I was just admiring your display. It’s beautiful.”

The woman kept her glare on Lindsey for another moment before the expression melted into a warm, gracious smile.

“Why, thank you, my dear.” she sweetly said. “I apologize for appearing distrustful. For whatever reason, my bakery seems to attract all sorts of miscreants.”

Can’t imagine why, Lindsey inwardly rolled her eyes. If I lived in this neighborhood I probably wouldn’t have anything better to do than stare at sweets all day either.

“My name is Alexandria. I’m the owner of this confectionary.” the woman gave a small curtsey.

“Er, Lindsey.” she awkwardly returned the gesture. “Pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise. Why don’t you come in?” the woman held the door open for Lindsey. “I’m cooling some freshly baked tarts and they should be ready in just a moment. I’d be happy to give you a sample.”

Lindsey’s eyes lit up as she instantly forgot about the time, her location, and the fact that a possibly crazy woman was inviting her into a mysterious shop of wondrous sweets. After hearing the words ‘freshly baked tarts’ all the extenuating circumstances suddenly became irrelevant. She stepped past the beaming woman and entered the store, an awed ‘wow’ involuntarily escaping her lips the moment she did so.

The walls were lined with a dazzling array of pastries, showcasing mouthwatering examples of every variety of confection Lindsey had ever seen and some that were completely new to her. She looked upon the concoctions as though appraising some collection of rare valuables, the outside crusts like the polished gold that held the glimmering jewels of fruit within. An irresistible grin crept over Lindsey’s face as she took in the glorious panorama of pastry, her unabashed awe growing with every new creation that she took in.

“Ah, here we are.” Lindsey turned to see that Alexandria had slipped silently behind the counter, a baking tray in her hands and a wide, proud smile painted on her face. She gently laid it down the way one would when presenting a delicate work of art, then folded her hands and took a step back. Lindsey nearly gasped when she saw that what laid on the tray was nothing less than the most beautiful plum tart she had ever laid eyes upon. Lindsey looked up at Alexandria as though asking for permission to approach, which Alexandria returned with an expression of sage reassurance, encouraging her to go ahead and take a closer look.

With a trembling hand, Lindsey reached out and traced the rim of the crust with her finger. It was still warm, floating at that delicious temperature between lifelessly cool and scaldingly hot. The pastry’s texture was smooth and dry, sparing Lindsey’s fingers the buttery greasiness that would arise from handling a lesser creation.

“It’s wonderful.” Lindsey murmured.

“You’re too kind, my dear.” Alexandria grabbed a knife and deftly cut a thin slice from the luscious circle. She placed the perfectly divided section on a small plate, laid a tiny fork next to it, and extended the offering towards Lindsey.

“Here you are.” she said. “Go on, give it a try before it gets cold.”

Lindsey took the plate with both hands and a small bow of the head, looking upon the object before her with reverence and restrained yearning. She took the fork and gently speared a bite off the tip of the slice, wincing a little at the necessary undoing of the flawless construction before taking the morsel to her lips. Alexandria looked on with a knowing smile as Lindsey closed her eyes and released an extended ‘ohhh’, almost sounding as though she was in disbelief that what she was tasting could actually be so good. Alexandria laughed softly as Lindsey polished off the rest of the portion, stopping just short of licking the crumbs off of the porcelain.

“That was amazing.” Lindsey declared, expression one of amazement bordering on shock.

“I’m glad you liked it, dear.” Alexandria smiled as she took the rest of the tart and placed it on display. Once it was set just how she wanted it, Alexandria rummaged beneath the counter for a moment before reappearing with a small handheld mirror.

“Now, there’s something about my pastries that makes them, well, special.” Alexandria offered the mirror to Lindsey with a sly grin on her face. “Go ahead, take a look.”

Oh Christ, Lindsey panicked, I should have known. She’s some kind of insane rogue baker, injecting her twisted concoctions with a fast-acting flesh-eating virus that’s left me disfigured and horrible. Lindsey managed to calm herself down long enough to take the mirror from Alexandria, figuring that she should at least confirm her paranoid suspicions before running screaming into the street. She slowly turned the glass towards herself, her entire body quivering in anticipation of what she might see.

She looked…fine. No, better than fine. She looked amazing. Lindsey’s mouth hung open in staggered shock as she stared into a face that she barely recognized as her own. The tiny imperfections had been erased, the scattering of beauty marks and freckles replaced by flawless pale skin the color of fresh cream. Her nose, which she had broken skiing years ago, had become perfectly straight and symmetrical, a charming divider for her sparkling hazel eyes. Lindsey touched her cheek to try and confirm that she was indeed the person staring back at her and noticed that the appendage seemed more slender than usual, her fingers stretching long and delicate away from the palm.

“Remarkable, isn’t it?” Lindsey looked up to see Alexandria beaming in her direction. “My sweets are made with an ancient family recipe, passed through countless generations. They have the ability to bring out one’s true beauty.”

“This is…incredible.” Lindsey laughed in disbelief as she closely examined her own hand, turning it over as she took in every lovely detail. She looked again in the mirror and realized that the face was very much hers, only perfected and brightened somehow, looking as though a world-class makeup artist had spent hours perfecting her visage.

“Perhaps you’d like to take some home, dear.” Alexandria offered. “After all, just one little slice won’t make it permanent. One of my confections a day is necessary to maintain the effect.”

“That’s all?” Lindsey asked, incredulous. “If the rest of your pastries are as good as that, I could eat ten a day.”

“Such a sweet young woman you are.” Alexandria chirped. Suddenly, her face hardened and her voice took on a distinct edge. “However, I must warn you that I take customer loyalty very seriously. If I should find that you’ve been partaking in, let’s say, lesser creations, I will not be pleased. Are we clear?”

“Uh, sure.” Lindsey replied, slightly taken aback by Alexandria’s tone. “I wouldn’t dream of going to another pastry shop after finding this place. You’ve got a customer for life.”

The baker’s sharp expression immediately faded back to its usual gracious warmth.

“I’m glad to hear it. Now, what can I get for you?”

*

Lindsey fumbled with her key at the front door to her apartment, juggling it in her hands with the two heaping sacks she took away from Alexandria’s shop. After a moment’s struggle, she burst through the doorway, slamming the heavy wooden door back into place with the heel of her shoe. Lindsey sighed and smiled in relief as she headed directly into the kitchen and placed the two bulging bags on either side of the sink. A formidable task was laid out before her – finding room in her cramped galley kitchen to put all of her newly purchased confections. But it was a job she happily undertook, humming a lighthearted little tune as she set about stacking and shifting the piles of perfectly white squares.

As she worked, Lindsey’s mind drifted back to her evening with Clark and how it had ended. She was positive that he had been inwardly repulsed by her insatiable sweet tooth and planned on dumping her via phone when he called the next day. Well, Lindsey grinned, I definitely can’t let that happen now. When he calls tomorrow, I’m going to insist that he meets me in person. He wouldn’t dump me looking the way I do now even if I were to gobble down a bucket of pig trotters right in front of him.

With a giddy giggle, she finished putting away the boxes, barely able to close the cupboard due to the fact that Lindsey had filled them to bursting with her purchases. Feeling more content than she had in some time, she brushed her teeth, got changed, and hopped into bed, thanking the heavens for her exceptional luck and for her new life as she drifted off to sleep.

Lindsey was gently awakened the next morning by the soft light of the sun as it poured through her window and tenderly massaged her eyes open. She smiled a drowsy half-lidded smile as she pulled herself out of bed and padded over to the bathroom, stretching and yawning alternately as she did so. It took a few minutes of pawing at the wall before finding the light switch and turning it on, allowing Lindsey to get a clear look at herself in the mirror.

Her cheerful lethargy was immediately replaced by a sharp and somewhat depressed cognizance when she saw that the glamorous features she possessed just last night had been replaced by the plain Jane looks she was used to. With a sigh, she began to reach for her makeup before coming to a realization, stopping with her fingers gripping the knob on the medicine cabinet.

Lindsey grinned as she rushed into the kitchen and threw open her cupboard doors, plucking from the top of a pile the box containing her breakfast. Opening it the way a treasure hunter would an ancient chest, Lindsey’s face brightened as she lifted the top of the box and took in its contents – a miniature mascarpone tart studded with halved strawberries, their ruby skins as bright and vibrant as the day they were plucked from the stem.

Not bothering to make coffee or even find a plate, Lindsey grabbed a fork and greedily devoured the confection, making small muted sounds of contentment as the flavor resonated through her body. The poor little thing didn’t even last a minute, reduced to nothing more than crumbs in a tray with remarkable and frightening efficiency. Lindsey jumped away from the table and dashed back into the bathroom, her face breaking into a cheek-splitting grin as she gazed into the mirror and saw that her appearance had regained the grace and luminosity that had been released the night before.

With unbridled energy and confidence, Lindsey quickly dressed and headed off to work, nearly skipping as she made her way down the sidewalk. She couldn’t help but feel that every man within eyeshot was staring at her, and Lindsey rewarded those that she caught sneaking a glance with a playful wink or a dazzling, toothy smile. On most mornings, any joy she might have felt was sapped away the instant she stepped into the drab gray box of a building that housed the telemarketing company she worked for. But not even the thought of spending eight hours on the phone trying to talk to people who hated her guts could bring her down today.

Lindsey buzzed around the floor as much as she could before her shift started, wishing ‘good morning’ to every co-worker she came across and reveling in the look of astonishment that would come over their faces as they took her in. Even her prospective customers, unable to see her newfound elegance with their own eyes, somehow seemed charmed by it and rejected her offers of long distance service with much more civility and graciousness than usual. Perhaps it was just that unflappable joy that had allowed her to do more than just simply spit out an unenthusiastic sales pitch before they hung up the phone.

In any case, Lindsey left the floor that evening feeling just as good as she had entering it. She had just stepped out onto the sidewalk when her phone came to life within her handbag and began to play an irritatingly cute salsa tune. Lindsey plucked it out and was delighted to see that it was Clark who was calling her. Without a moment’s hesitation, she answered the device, pressing it against her ear with a broad smile on her face.

“Hiya sweetie.”

“Well, good evening, my darling.” came Clark’s syrupy voice from the other end. “How’s your day been?”

Wow, Lindsey thought, her eyebrows raised in surprise. It doesn’t sound like he’s about to dump me.

“Fantastic.” she replied. “Yours?”

“Oh, not bad. I promised I’d have dinner at my parents’ tonight, but I’d like to see you tomorrow if you’re free.”

He really is much sweeter than the others, Lindsey mused. Can’t even bring himself to dump me over the phone. Looks like I don’t have to force the issue.

“Love to. Pick me up at seven?”

“You got it. See you then.”

“See ya.”

Lindsey hung up and dropped the phone back in her bag, filled with joyous anticipation for the following day. She knew that tomorrow evening the most wonderful man she had ever met would lay eyes on her and fall head over heels in love. With that thought, Lindsey strolled down the sidewalk and began the walk home, smiling through the glare of the setting sun.

*

The following day started off just as grand as the last. After a few minutes of standing in front of her cupboard in deep thought, Lindsey settled on a cherry danish for breakfast, taking the time to enjoy it before twirling through her door and heading off to her job. Everything at work went just swimmingly, leaving her in a spectacular mood that she was growing quite used to when her lunch hour rolled around.

Lindsey felt like celebrating, so she decided to splurge a little and dine at the bistro just down the street. After somehow managing to polish off a generous serving of cassoulet, she pushed back from the table and released an anguished groan, making a mental note to never again eat anything for as long as she lived.

“Can I get you anything else, ma’am?” asked the waiter as he cleared her plate.

“God no.” Lindsey moaned.

The waiter laughed softly. “That’s too bad. Our Tarte Tatin is the best in the city.”

Lindsey’s ears perked up. She cleared her throat, catching the attention of the waiter just as he was about to leave.

“Well…” she hesitated, wondering if her stomach would hold if she had dessert or if the additional stress would cause it to literally burst at the seams. Ah, what the hell, she resolved. It’s not like I need to worry about gaining weight any more.

“I’ll try one.” Lindsey finally said. “And a coffee, please. Two creams, four sugars.”

The waiter smiled. “Very good, ma’am.”

Lindsey sat back in her chair and sipped her water, gazing out the front window and people watching while she waited for her dessert to arrive. For whatever reason, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was forgetting something. Something Alexandria had said about not eating anyone else’s sweets…what was it again?

“Your Tarte Tatin, madam.” the waiter interrupted Lindsey’s thoughts by laying before her a cup filled with the familiar steaming ochre liquid and a plate that held a glorious slice of rich caramelized goodness. The lead weight in her gut immediately vanished as she bolted upright in her chair, re-energized by the sight of the mouth-watering creation. Lindsay licked her lips, grabbed her fork, and dove headfirst into the Tarte Tatin, eating as though the rich stew of beans and meat had never graced her stomach.

Delicious, she thought. Not quite as good as Alexandria’s, but still delicious. After making short work of the dessert and laying down some money for the bill, Lindsey hurriedly made her way out of the restaurant, needing to move with considerable speed if she was going to make it back to her desk before her lunch hour was up.

In her haste, she almost missed the sight of her reflection in the glass of the front door, a ghostly likeness that just barely caught her eye as she was leaving. The image brought her to an abrupt halt, her lips spreading open and her grip on the door handle tightening as a cold numbness developed in her chest and spread to her extremities. Lindsey let out a small choked cry as she whirled away from the door and rushed to the bathroom, upending a surprised waiter and his load of French onion soup as she did so. The shriek he released as he was doused with the scalding chocolate-brown liquid reverberated throughout the restaurant as Lindsey slammed the bathroom door behind her and turned its lock.

She stood with her back pressed against the door for several seconds, her chest heaving and her gaze planted squarely on the gleaming white tile below. C’mon Lindsey, she pushed herself. The glass in the door must have been smudged or streaky or something. Just take a look in the mirror so you can get on with your day. With a pronounced gulp, she pushed herself away from the door and hesitantly looked up, coming face to face with the girl in the mirror. Lindsey slowly stepped towards the glass, her face as round and pale as the distended whites of her eyes. Trembling hands wrapped around the sides of the sink and gripped it tightly as though she were preparing to vomit into the immaculate porcelain bowl. And considering her building nausea, that seemed like a very real possibility.

Staring back at her was not the face of glamorous Lindsey, the slender, gorgeous woman created by the magic of Alexandria’s creations. It was the face of plain, unremarkable Lindsey that looked out from beyond the glass with dead glazed eyes. She fought back tears as she took in the familiar yet unwelcome sight, poring over the stinging imperfections with unrestrained self-loathing. Every tiny flaw seemed to scream out at Lindsey, harshly reminding her that she was not special, that without the hocus pocus she was nothing more than an ordinary girl with an unhealthy attachment to sweets and a boyfriend that was going to dump her the next time he laid eyes on her.

Lindsey’s eyes widened as she suddenly and vividly remembered exactly what Alexandria had said to her about partaking in anybody else’s sweets, how she cherished customer loyalty over everything else. This must be how she punishes those who stray, Lindsey realized. But if I eat another one of hers, then maybe…

She roughly swung her bag onto the sink and began clawing through it with frightening ferocity, tossing the contents haphazardly on the floor until she found what she was looking for. Handling it the way one would an injured animal, Lindsey delicately lifted the small white box out of her bag and delicately removed its lid. Within laid a mushroom-shaped cupcake that she had been saving for a mid-afternoon snack, its soft, firm texture and dark color promising the intense flavor of rich chocolate to the eater.

Lindsey removed the cake from the box and held it in her hands for a moment, uttering a short prayer under her breath before proceeding to tear into the helpless creation. She barely even tasted the decadent dessert as she scarfed it down with an unsettling savagery normally reserved for feral predators. When all that remained were the sticky crumbs glued to the crinkled wrapper, Lindsey looked back up and sobbed to see that nothing had changed. She looked just as she did before gobbling down the cupcake, her appearance not aided any by the expression of chocolate-smeared desperation on her face.

She battled the urge to break down crying, her mind scrambling for a way out of this situation. If I speak to Alexandria, I’m sure she’ll take pity on me, Lindsey thought as she wrung her hands nervously. I just can’t let Clark see me like this, no matter what. She took a moment to regain her composure and stuff her scattered possessions back in her bag before leaving the bathroom and making a beeline for the front door, ignoring the pointed stares of the other customers and the cursing of the burned waiter as he sat in a sticky wet heap in the middle of the dining room.

Lindsey didn’t even consider returning to work as she hailed a cab, throwing the door open and practically hurling herself into it before the car had even come to a complete stop. She gave the cabby the address to Alexandria’s shop and sat back against the worn patched leather of the backseat, trying her best to calm down. Her mind, however, refused to relax, as it rapidly formed what Lindsey would say to Alexandria when she saw her. She almost even laughed at the idea that her hopes hinged on her ability to smoothtalk the eccentric owner of a magical bakery.

But as ridiculous as that notion might have been, it was a sobering reminder that unless she could convince Alexandria to restore the magic, Lindsey would undoubtedly lose the sweetest guy she had ever met. The whine of the brakes snapped Lindsay from her thoughts as they brought the cab to a halt directly in front of Alexandria’s shop. She hastily thrust a few crumpled bills at the cabdriver and hopped out of the cab, not even bothering to look at the fare to see if she was handing over the right amount of money.

Lindsey stood still in front of the store for several seconds, going over the details of her passionate plea once again in her mind. Content that she had the speech memorized, she took a deep breath and stepped towards the door. Her hands had just barely grazed the knob when it was suddenly jerked away from her, violently pulled back as the door was swung open from within the store. Lindsey jumped back and let out a small surprised cry as she looked up and saw Alexandria standing in the doorway.

She appeared nearly identical to when Lindsey saw her for the first time, stern expression and all. The only visible differences were that the dress Alexandria now wore radiated the color of dark brick and that she was tightly gripping both sides of the door frame, blocking the entrance as though Lindsey represented a threat to her business. Her entire appearance was much more intimidating than Lindsey had anticipated, causing her to pause and gather her confidence before speaking.

“I was explicitly clear.” Alexandria suddenly and coldly said before Lindsey could get a word out. “I told you how valuable customer loyalty is to me.”

“I know, and I’m sorry!” Lindsey blurted out, her planned monologue abruptly abandoned. “I just want - ”

“Save it.” Alexandria spat. “My creations can no longer work their magic for you. You had your chance. Get out of my sight.”

Lindsey could feel her composure rapidly slipping away as she realized that there was nothing she could do to regain the beauty the sweets had granted her. She hung her head and began to unashamedly weep, hot fat tears escaping squinted eyes and making wide wet trails down flushed cheeks. Over the sound of her own sobbing, Lindsey could just barely hear Alexandria release a prolonged sigh, the annoyed expression of one who’s grown tired of dealing with the same situation multiple times. With tear-blurred vision Lindsey glanced up to see Alexandria studying her with an expression of both compassion and understanding.

“There’s nothing for you to cry about, my dear.” she insisted. “Don’t you remember what I told you my sweets actually do?”

Lindsey sniffed and brought her crying down to a choking hiccup as Alexandria stepped forward and lightly placed her hands on Lindsey’s shoulders.

“All they can do is bring out one’s true beauty.” Alexandria smiled. “You are a lovely young woman. Don’t forget that.”

Lindsey wiped her eyes and looked away, too embarrassed to meet Alexandria’s kind, motherly gaze. It took a few seconds to get herself together, but once she did, Lindsey was able to look Alexandria in the eye and give her a gracious smile.

“Thank you.” she finally said as she sniffled away the last of her tears.

“You’re quite welcome, my dear.”

Without another word, Alexandria turned and withdrew to her store, gently closing the door behind her with a soft click. Lindsey stood and looked silently after her and didn’t move for a long time.

*

When Lindsey returned to the office, her boss began to reprimand her for returning from her lunch break so late but stopped upon seeing her puffy cheeks and bloodshot eyes. Lindsey apologized regardless and returned to her desk to finish out her shift, conducting her calls with even more of a detached apathy than usual. She was no longer upset about her squandered opportunity, but that didn’t stop her from considering what was going to happen when Clark saw her that evening.

Her mind was consumed with images of how she imagined he would react, monopolizing her thoughts even as she clocked out and walked home. When she arrived at her apartment, Lindsey simply sat on her couch and stared blankly at the wall, too anxious to do anything else. That anxiety grew with every passing second, every tick of the clock that brought Clark’s arrival ever closer.

The sharp rapping at the door somehow managed to startle Lindsey even though she had been anticipating it for what seemed like days. Might as well get this over with, she sighed. Lindsey took a deep breath, straightened out her clothes, and forced herself over to the door on legs that suddenly seemed to be crafted from concrete. She paused for just a moment before twisting the knob and accepting her fate.

Clark stood in the hallway holding a single rose against his body. His face immediately lit up upon seeing Lindsey, as though his entire day had been made just by being in her presence. Lindsey smiled as warmly as she could manage while inwardly bracing herself for what would be her most devastating breakup yet.

“You look great.” Clark declared as he held out the rose. “Are you ready to go?”

Lindsey stared at the rose for a long second, her mouth hanging open as her brain desperately tried to process what Clark had just said. That handful of words he had so casually spoken sounded as beautiful to her as a lovingly crafted sonnet or a poem written out of the deepest affection. For a moment, she feared she might break down crying for the second time that day. Instead, all she did was laugh and shake her head in disbelief, all of a sudden ashamed and yet amused at herself.

“Are you okay?” Clark cocked his head and tried to get a better look at Lindsey’s face. Beaming, Lindsey raised her chin and looked deeply into her boyfriend’s eyes.

“I’m fine.” she insisted as she took the rose from Clark’s hand. “Rough day, that’s all.”

“Well, you can tell me all about it on the way to the theater.” Clark offered. “We’ve gotta get going, the movie’s starting in fifteen minutes.”

“Hold on just a second.”

Lindsey disappeared into the apartment only to emerge a moment later with a white box in her hand and a mischievous smile on her face. With some fanfare, she opened the lid to reveal an assortment of cookies in a variety of shapes, sizes and flavors.

“This’ll make for a good theater snack, don’t you think?” Lindsey grinned as she slipped the box into her purse.

“It’s a step up from popcorn and Raisinets, that’s for sure.”

Lindsey laughed and gave Clark an affectionate peck on the cheek. With her man and her sweets by her side, she closed the door behind her, turned the lock, and headed out into the night.
© Copyright 2008 devo (devo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387336-Real-Fruit-Filling