*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1388861-HELP-NEEDEDNo-Experience-Required
by tinsle
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1388861
Most people knew there was a special love except the two who avoided it...until...
  “I take it you heard what happened,” remarked Lisa as she watched her friend resignedly plop onto the chair next to her desk.
  “I got the entire story when I drove her home,” Jay answered. “The full-length version complete with tears.”                             
  “We’ve got to do something about those two,” started Lisa, “and Rachel feels likewise. She called my extension after Meghan stormed out of Mr. Hamilton’s office.”
  Jay rolled his eyes before replying. “Do you want to hear what I think? I think we should both mind our own businesses.”
  Lisa placed her hand on Jay’s arm. “You know very well Meghan’s always been a good friend to us. Both Rachel and I were hoping you’d help us devise a plan to get them back together long enough to talk out their problems...please?”
  Irritated, Jay removed Lisa’s hand. “I won’t be a part of your and Rachel’s plan. Both of you are looking for a heap of trouble. Stay out of it!”
  Lisa sighed loudly before explaining. “If it wasn’t for Meghan and Mr. Hamilton, we would’ve never become a couple.”
  “I know but...”
  “At least hear us out, okay?”
  It was Jay’s turn to sigh loudly. “Okay. I’ll listen BUT that doesn’t mean I’m helping in any scheme. Both of you are going to get in too deep and I don’t want to be around when it blows up in your faces.”
  “It won’t,” assured Lisa. “Thanks for helping. I’ll call Rachel right now.”
  “I’m not helping, I’m just listening,” a frustrated Jay mumbled.

  In the bank’s cafeteria the following morning, Jay uneasily waited for Lisa and Rachel’s morning break. Upon catching sight of both girls, he waved to get their attention.
  “Hi,” Lisa greeted. “Suggestions anyone?”
  “Yeah,” muttered Jay, “stay out of it.”
  Lisa gently pushed his arm. “He’s just kidding, Rach. He’s just as concerned as we in solving Meghan’s problem.”
  Jay shrugged and continued his quiet protests. “Sure I’m concerned but I’m staying out of it.”
  Rachel started. “I thought we’d try to get them both together at her apartment but I can’t think how. What reason would he have to go to her place?”
  Deep in thought, Lisa leaned back in her chair and stared. Out of the blue she straightened up and leaned over the table.
  “Jay,” she whispered eagerly. “Do you remember what Mr. Hamilton said about her at the Christmas party? He mentioned he’d be completely lost if Meghan ever left.” Lisa motioned to Jay and Rachel to move closer. “What if we started a rumor about Meghan leaving because she decided to leave the bank AND Mr. Hamilton? You know, so she could sort things out in her own mind?”
  Rachel raised her eyebrows and nodded. “That’s an idea. It would get his attention.”
  Jay closed his eyes and shook his head. “Bad idea. Real bad,” he said quietly. He crooked his finger at both the women and leaned over to speak. “Do either of you busybodies know what he’s going to do once if he finds out Meghan’s decided to suddenly leave the bank...and him, without proper notice? You both can count me way out of your brilliant idea!”
  “Come on Jay,” started Lisa, “it’s not actually going to happen. It’s just a rumor.”
  Jay continued to shake his head vigorously. “No! I’ve seen that man mad and let me say it’s not pretty. In fact, his anger downright terrifies me.”
  Both girls quietly giggled before Lisa reached for his hand. “Hon, you don’t have to say a thing. Rachel and I will do the rumor spreading. Remember, if he says anything to you, just agree.”
  “Lisa,” an exasperated Jay started, “I’m his assistant and my job is to help him with whatever he needs BUT I want you two to know if your plan starts to get sticky, I had nothing to do with it. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Understand?”
  He looked at Lisa and Rachel who both nodded affirmatively. They glanced at each other, gave a thumbs up gesture and dashed off leaving a troubled Jay alone at the table.
  When Rachel returned to her desk, she stuffed her purse in the bottom desk drawer, picked up the phone and started calling individuals known to freely pass on unfounded information. By the end of her fifth call, Sean Hamilton returned, acknowledged her presence with a smile and headed to his office. She took a deep breath, pulled out several files while grinning knowingly.
  Delivering memos to assorted departments presented Lisa the opportunity to whisper the rumor concocted with Rachel to a several people before returning to her desk. That should spread in about a day or so, she decided. I’ll know it’s gotten around the entire building when I finally hear the latest version myself.
  Jay however, remained in the cafeteria and reflected on the plan. There was an uncomfortable feeling knowing the truth, yet tried his utmost to realize Meghan Windom and Sean Hamilton needed to get together and talk out their differences. With coffee in hand, he strolled to the elevator hoping he didn’t end up in the line of fire once his boss heard the rumor currently being spread.
 
  Contrary to what Lisa thought, the news did not take a full twenty-four hours to spread like wildfire. Mr. Hamilton heard the rumor after being approached by the senior manager of the loan department following an early morning meeting...
  “Just between you and me,” started Edward, “I can’t believe you’re so composed about this situation.”
  Sean unresponsively looked at Edward. “Meaning?”
  “Meaning Meghan Windom. I’d never permit my employees to quit without prior notice. I don’t expect hearing any unwise decisions. I make sure the workers in my section follow every rule to the letter,” he related proudly.
  Sean stared out one of the windows wondering why Edward telling him this story. Sure there had been some harsh words with Meghan but...
  He turned back to Edward and smiled. “Unlike you, I rarely resort to Scrooge’s beliefs when it applies to my staff. I still have a lot to do so I will bid you a good day.”
 
  Rachel was the first to learn the hard way. After returning from the meeting, Hamilton glanced at her and directed, “Rachel, my office!” Grabbing her steno pad, she hurried after her boss. She had barely reached his door before he spoke.
  “Close the door,” he instructed. 
  After shutting the door, Rachel tensely stood in front of his desk. He remained at the window for a while before facing her.
  “Have you heard any idle talk regarding Meghan Windom?” Hamilton impatiently asked. “I did.”
  Unsure of affirming or denying the rumor, Rachel lowered her head and shrugged.
  Hamilton became irritated. “Is that a yes or no?”
  Rachel fidgeted remembering Jay’s warning about her boss’s anger. Knowing her answer would be essential with the solution she and Lisa hoped for; she closed her eyes and spoke quietly.
  “That’s a yes, sir,” Rachel responded cautiously. “I heard a story about a half hour before you returned. It entailed her decision to leave the bank and use the time to re-evaluate her career.”
  “And leave immediately?” He asked louder with more agitation.
  Soon Rachel wished she never meddled in Sean Hamilton’s life and kept her eyes averted while murmuring “Yes sir.”
  “You have Jay’s extension,” he began hotly, “contact him and tell him I’m leaving immediately.”
  Rachel cringed before rushing to the door. “I’m right on it, sir.” Reaching her desk, she dialed Jay’s number as quickly as possible. Thankfully, he answered instantly.
  “Hi Jay, Rachel here. Mr. Hamilton would like you to know he...”
  The phone was unexpectedly snatched from her hand and she nervously looked up to see her boss.
  “Jay, I’d appreciate you driving me to Rachel Windom’s place. I’ll meet you in front of the bank.” he handed the receiver back to Rachel with a brief “thank you” before hurrying to the elevator. Fortunately the door opened instantaneously and he entered, continually pushing the ground floor button.
  Jay apprehensively watched as Sean Hamilton entered his automobile and sat back while edgily tapping on the armrest. “Take me directly to Rachel Windom’s apartment,”  he instructed.
  With a quick “Yes sir,” Jay drove off in silence while vowing to give Lisa a piece of his mind. From the trouble seen so far, he continued to avoid implicating himself in the latest hearsay. Hamilton glanced at Jay and directed a question to him.
  “Are you aware of the rumor about Rachel Windom spreading through the entire bank?” he inquired.
  “No,” Jay lied, “I usually ignore gossip.” Lisa, I love you but I’m gonna get you for this!
  “You speak with her secretary,” reminded Hamilton.
  “True,” Jay answered, “but nothing was said about Ms. Windom, sir.” I’m serious, Lisa and you’d better warn Rachel she’s next!
  “Then how does everyone in the bank know about information this personal?” Hamilton mumbled to himself. Disappointed with his assistant’s answer, he leaned back and returned to his incessant tapping.
  After pulling up to the front of the apartment complex, Hamilton gazed at the front steps and said, “I’ll be back soon. I’d like to see if there’s any truth to what I heard. If so, I’ll take all necessary measures to prevent it. Damn! I can’t remember ever being so mad.”
  Leaving the automobile, Hamilton bounded up the stairway and pounded on Meghan’s door. With an annoyed expression, Meghan opened the door holding a piece of toast. His face flushed with anger, Sean impatiently squeezed past her. She bit into the toast and quietly closed the front door a second before her boss started to shout.
  “You will never...” He stopped yelling and gazed at Meghan. “Your hairstyle’s different.”
  She stared at him guardedly and swallowed the toast before answering. “I had my hair cut after I left the bank.”
  “It suits you beautifully,” Sean said, nodding approvingly. “As for the reason I’m here,” he started, returning to an authoritative tone, “You’ll NEVER simply leave the bank and me without prior notice.”
  Confused, Meghan stared at him with disbelief. Her silence seemed to infuriate Sean even more.
  “Did you hear me?” He bellowed.
  Still bewildered at his tirade, Meghan looked down at her toast before quietly answering. “I’m glad you like my hair and I’d hear you even if I was in another state. Was there anything else you wanted to shout about?”
  “What’s this nonsense I heard about you leaving?”
  “What are you talking about? I wasn’t...” Megan answered crossly. “Scratch that...I don’t want to know. Would you just leave?” She turned to the door but he grabbed her hand before it reached the doorknob.
  “I apologize,” Sean said in a reserved tone. “I got upset when I heard you were going to leave the bank and me.”
  “Do you believe every rumor you hear?” Megan retorted before abruptly stopping. “Wait a minute, leave the bank...or you?”
  Sean turned away and answered with a forced laugh. “The bank of course. We need people of your caliber.”
  Restraining a smile, Meghan neared Sean’s back.
  “Just the bank?” She asked softly.
  Heaving a loud sigh, Sean replied. “All right, and me. Happy?”
  “Kind of, but there’s still an old dispute between us regarding my salary and its ratio to...what was that? Right...my caliber.”
  Sean quickly spun around, startling Meghan. Fearful he was gearing up for another screaming session; she backed up yet stood her ground.
  “Why don’t we discuss the matter over dinner, Miss Windom?” Sean Hamilton asked while flashing an engaging smile.
  “Dinner? With you? Tonight?”
  “Why not? Pick you up at seven.”
  “Are you going to start shouting again?”
  “I can’t say yes or no to that question.”
  “But my caliber. You...”
  “Don’t push, Meghan.” Sean interrupted as he walked to the door. As he turned the knob, he looked back at her and winked. “We’ll see. Seven tonight...and be ready.”



© Copyright 2008 tinsle (tinsle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1388861-HELP-NEEDEDNo-Experience-Required