*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389305-Remember-the-time
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #1389305
Memory lost
Do you remember the time, when everything seemed perfect and real? When all the smiling faces seemed sincere; where every sunset was brilliant and peaceful? I remember and I can’t get back.

I see the smiling faces now turned to masks, covering the dirt filled years of compromise and soul selling bitterness. The white teeth bared just enough to let the light reach in and illuminate the sadness and self-loathing. I see the hooded eyes that keep their secrets buried beneath a thin cracked layer of denial. The masks kept in place to hide their reflections.

I can hear the wagging tongues, floating sweet words on warm breezes. Exchanging compliments with one another, the cawing of crows mixed with tinkling bells. The words only half received even as they are half given. Each party clinging to the truth they crave. The din of an operatic chaos begins.

I can see the gnarled hands as they grip their glasses filled with courage and denial. Clinging so tightly to the liquid that promises to burn away all the pain and erase all regret. The ambrosia hints at forgiveness, requiring only blind obedience in exchange for its small comfort.

I look now into the mirror and raise my glass in toast as my other hand reaches up to remove the mask. A slight hesitation as I take in my courage and adjust my mask. With my glass now empty and the warmth filling the cold spaces, I decide, today is not the day….

Instead, today is yet another day to stare sightlessly through masked eyes at the sunset and remember the brilliant reds and yellows that used to wait for me.
© Copyright 2008 EMStilson (emstilson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389305-Remember-the-time