*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389628-With-My-Red-Shoes-and-Rainboots
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1389628
This is a tiny tale about a girl who will discover the truth in her own backyard.
Today is not a simple day, complex, if you wish.  I mourn the death of my fish, Winston; he was a dear friend you know.  The kettle would not boil my tea, which was odd, until I found a handkerchief stuffed inside.
Who would do such a thing?
Ding dong, goes the doorbell.  Who could be visiting this early?  Oh, it’s my neighbor, Lenny Peck.  He’s odd, his hair looks as if he had stuck his finger in the plug socket and it got stuck that way.  And, his clothes are quite dated.
“I found something in the ravine.” He says to me.  “I think you’ll find it interesting.”
I grab my red coat and put on my rain boats, because I know how muddy it’s going to be.  Lenny’s sneakers were already destroyed.
The smell of the wet plants and worms invaded my nose as we entered the ravine. 
“It’s just over there.” Lenny pointed at a bush that was on the other side of the stream.
I followed him to a safe place we could cross and I took small, careful steps.  I did not want to fall into the freezing water.
“Don’t make much noise.” He said to me in a whisper.
He crouched before the bush and stared in.  He was watching something.
I could hear a soft noise, like a deck of cards being shuffled together. 
My eyes had to look.  I crouched down next to Lenny and looked in.  Faeries or something that resembled them.
“Their Ieles.”  Lenny told me.  “Vampire faeries.”  He parted a few leaves so we could see in more.  Oh I wish he hadn’t done that.
They were feasting on a rat or a squirrel, or some woodland animal.  I’m not to sure.
“We have to go.” I said, abruptly standing up.
“Why?” Lenny only looked up at me, he did not rise.
“Come on Lenny.  Please, let’s go.”  I pleaded.  But Lenny did not move.
“I cannot go, I have to stay.  And so do you.” He told me.  “We are theirs now.”
I turned to run away, to go home and pretend this was only a nightmare.  Though when I turned, I only saw small faces waiting for me.
Today is not a simple day, for I was taken away.
© Copyright 2008 E A Dillon (eadillon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389628-With-My-Red-Shoes-and-Rainboots