*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1391968-Mommy-Misadventures-Classroom-Parties
Rated: E · Essay · Holiday · #1391968
mommy misadventures: classroom parties
Let me fill you in on a little secret: kids exchange valentine's at their classroom Valentine's Day parties -- even preschoolers. how do i know this? you might think it's because i have common sense, but no, that's definitely not it. It's because when I dropped Tanner off at school this morning, all pumped up for his V-Day party, I experienced a revelation which was immediately followed by sheer panic and embarrassment. It's a feeling you can only experience you realize you've MAJORLY dropped the ball. And I didn't just drop it. I dropped it in front of all the perfectly coiffed, jogging suit clad, stay-at-home mothers carrying their tidy, organized baggies of Valentine's cards for their little ones. i forgot to get Valentine's for Tanner to give to his classmates. Talk about wanting to disappear. Want to know what I was thinking, in between thoughts of failure?

"Thank God i have on makeup and i brushed my hair so as they are watching this little drama unfold, I at least LOOK somewhat put together." [please note i'm not knocking stay home moms. i wish i was one! it's just that it's a tough act to keep up with sometimes!]

Tanner's teacher is so sweet. She heard my gasp, saw my face, and said:

"Whatever it is, it's really okay."

Trying desperately not to cry and take my embarrassment to a whole new level, I confessed that it never even crossed my mind to get Valentine's cards. Calmly, she assured me it was not a problem, she had extras and she would help Tanner fill them out.

What an awful feeling. And the thing is, I was feeling so "on top of it" as we walked into school. For starters, I knew about the party, which was an improvement from previous mommy misadventures. I had no idea about the class Christmas party until Tanner walked out with bags of treats and all the other parents were already in the classroom, having actually attended the party. Strike one for me. No, strike two. Strike one was when I forgot to pick him up and he was the last kid sitting on the step next to the teacher. So, I was proud of the fact that I was aware of the party, and even offered to bring something. Which i remembered to do. PLUS, we brought Ms Amy a rose. I mean, does that not qualify me for Mom of the Week? Nope! Not when you forget the stinkin' Valentine's!!

Poor Tanner. He looked a little worried. He didn't have a clue what I had forgotten, having never exchanged Valentine's before, but he could tell something was up. Sigh....one more scar he can work through with his therapist when he gets older! It really sucks to mess things up for your kid.

***************************************
FOLLOW-UP REPORT: Turns out, I did not permanently scar my son...this time. His party was a success - he made no mention of the card mishap. And his teacher confirmed that he was not traumatized at all by my oversight. My mom, always the encourager, assured me, however, that all the teachers would be talking about me over coffee in the teacher's lounge. She speaks with authority because she was a teacher...oh well. Someone had to be THAT mom!
© Copyright 2008 erinjonesphotography (erinjones1978 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1391968-Mommy-Misadventures-Classroom-Parties