*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1392514-Wizard-of-God---Ch-4-Ch-5
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1392514
I wish you good fortune on your journey to meet the Wizard. He or She is waiting.
Chapter 4: Jest who?

Despite his bold statement, the second me stood motionless at the front door.

“I’ve never left the building before, “ he said scared.

It was odd seeing a replica of mine behaving so differently than I did. I felt sorry for him but I could not empathize in the least.

I took the lead and opened the door letting the first me leave ahead of the second.

“The first step is the hardest,” I said. “Just make sure you do it on the right road.”

He watched his foot step forward much like I had done. It looked as though he wanted to say thank you but nothing came out.

After he tentatively moved through the exit out onto the golden road, he shook off his nervousness. “I always knew I could do it. I just chose not to.”

Something made me guess he tried to open that door himself plenty of times and failed. He was definitely different than the first me. His lying had more purpose. It was shrouded by some sort of twisted perception.

Despite his facade of assuredness, the second me again stood still. He did not know which way to go. I realized that he would not be able to follow us. He could have listened to our footsteps I guessed, but I came up with a better idea. I went back into the store, grabbed a random jar off the shelf and scanned the stack until I found something I could use. I tied the jar around my waist with a jump rope and returned to the odd assortment of mes.

“Hey, that’s mine,” the second me exclaimed.

“I know,” I said raising my hand even though he could not see it. “It was in the isle clearly marked ‘MINE.’ You can have it back when we get to the Castle. Until then, follow the jar.”

“What a wonderful idea,” he said cheerfully. “I’m so glad I thought of it.”

Even the first me rolled his eyes at that remark.

The next couple of hours were amazingly frustrating. The first me could not tell the truth about himself and the second me would not shut up about himself.

“The Black Witch doesn’t scare me at all,” the first me said.

“She’s one of my best customers,” the second me said in response. “It’s no surprise though. I’ve put together the finest store in the land.”

“I find that hard to believe,” I replied. “Nothing in your store is for sale.”

“People come from far and wide to peruse my selection of items. You know it takes a keen mind to set up a proper bazaar,” he said.

“Oh, it’s bizarre all right, “ I said smiling. He did not get the joke.

“Of course it’s a bazaar,” he continued. “Although many people have told me I should open a second store. But why would I want to compete with myself?”

I shook my head. There was no way I was ever that egotistical. I was about to unhook the jar from my make shift belt and throw it as far as I could when I saw some kind of commotion up ahead.

There was some sort of structure being built on both sides of the road. There were people on either side working furiously. I was hesitant to get any closer at first. Every time I came across something out of the ordinary it was either a trick of the Witch or I found another me.

But I continued to walk and as I approached I realized the people that were working on the structure were the same as those in the town I landed in. I hurried forward to see if I could be of help.

I waved to them and yelled out, “Hey there, need a hand?”

“Boy, could we ever,” said one of them that was working on the bottom of the structure.

Gladness swept through me. I was excited to be of help to those people. I felt I owed them so much.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“We’re building a watchtower,” he answered, “for travelers like you so we can spot the Black Witch and sound a warning. We’re tired of seeing her take our friends away.”

I surveyed the project. It seemed to be designed well. On either side of the road they had built up two ladders with supports on either side. It was about ten feet tall.

“What’s your name?” I asked the small fellow.

“Placent,” he said with a smile. “I’m the foreman here.”

“Why are you building two towers?” I asked.

“We plan on making each twice the size as they are now,” Placent explained. “Once that’s finished were gonna make a bridge between the two. That way the person on watch can look over both sides of the road. This is our first one. If all goes well, we plan on making many more. We hope to cover the golden glowing road with towers all the way to the Wizard’s Castle.”

It was such a wonderful idea. It felt like the answer to all my problems. Not only could I help my friends, I could also help build a safer road for those that come after me. All the while making my own way toward the Wizard. And by the look of the project, Placent and his friends could use three more to help, especially since we were almost twice their height.

I explained the situation to my replicas, but to my dismay neither would help. The second me for obvious reasons, since he could not see anyone. The first me merely stated he would love to help and then proceeded to walk away and resume the far off stare he had when I first encountered him.

Placent did not seem fazed when I relayed the sad message. He was just glad to have one ‘giant’ available to help.

The work was invigorating. I enjoyed it tremendously. To my big surprise, the second me’s mental trick to remove the thirst craving also worked for getting tired or sore.

We worked around the clock for an undetermined amount of days. Not that I could have counted anyway since it was always day in the strange land.

The first tower was completed with much fanfare. Everyone clapped and whistled as Placent walked from one end to the other to demonstrate the sturdiness of watchtower number one.

We wasted no time and moved down the road to a point just in sight of the first tower. Erecting the second one went even faster than the first as everyone began to work better as a team.

I lost count of how many towers we completed. Every ounce of my concentration went toward the tower I was currently working on. With each we completed a member of Placent’s crew stayed behind to stand guard over the road.

At one point, as I was attaching a trestle, I looked back at the two replicas of myself. I did not like what I saw. The first me looked older by several years. He wore a grim look on his face. He seemed very stressed. The second me was hoarding all sorts of items. They were odd items that he was picking up from the construction of each tower. He looked several years younger. It was such an alarming sight that I stopped what I was doing and walked over to them.

I glanced to my right and stopped dead in my tracks. Directly in front of me was the ‘I Got Center’ store owned by the second me. It was moving! Slowly, at about a walking pace, it was moving forward. I quickly looked at the second me but even though he was looking in that direction he took no notice.

I did not think it was a trick of the Black Witch or the alarms would be sounding. Not sure what to make of it, I picked up a bit of scrap wood and threw it at the moving building. As soon as it broke the plane between the road and the small path to the front door, the piece of wood curved to my right and struck the sign above the door. It bounced off the store and landed in the grass. It was moving in exact unison as the building.

“We’re moving backwards!” I said astonished. “The road is going in reverse.”

Nobody responded. Something told me that was a very important moment and I needed to be sure in my thinking before making my next move.

I thought back to the beginning of my journey remembering my thoughts when everything seemed simple. ‘I wanted to ask if any would come with me but I understood, looking at their still encouraging faces, they would if they could. This quest was my burden alone…’

It all came together in my heart, snapping like two perfectly shaped building blocks. I looked up at Placent. He looked down at me questioningly. We had shared so many things during our time together. I did not want to disappoint him but there was only one thing to do.

I walked over to the first me and grabbed him by his arm and pulled him towards the second me. I slapped all the junk from the second me’s arms and pulled him along as well. Neither looked very happy. I did not care.

I did not want to but I could not help but stop and look back at Placent and his crew. The others continued to work but Placent had walked forward toward me. He stood completely still, his tools held loosely in his hands at his side. He looked at me with total bewilderment.

I wanted to yell back that I was sorry. I wanted to explain why I was leaving. But it was too painful and I did not have the words. I turned back towards the Wizard’s Castle and pulled my replicas along. Forward was the only direction that made progress.

We made up the lost ground quickly. By the time we reached where I thought we had built the first tower my two replicas had returned to normal, their normal anyway.

After a lot of walking, and strained patience for my replicas, I was finally able to make out the Castle in the distance. The first glimpse of it came when we probably had a dozen hills between our position and its towering form. All I could make out was a general outline. It was a massive form that must have been a hundred times bigger than the I Got Center.

I nearly missed the body lying on the road as all my focus was on the Castle. I noticed him right before I would have tripped over him. He was sprawled face down on the road, a mirror in one hand and a Witch’s staff in the other. The most alarming thing about the scene though was his skin color. He was bright blue.

I rushed to his side and knelt down to feel for a pulse. As soon as my fingers touched his neck he rolled over. I was not sure what was worse, the fact he turned a dark red color right in front of me or that it was yet another replica of myself.

“You scared the hell out of me,” said the third me breathlessly.

I was at a loss. I did not know what question to ask first. I also was not sure I wanted the answer.

“So what’s your problem?” I asked deciding to get straight to the point.

“What do you mean?” he replied expressionless.

“You’ve got some kind of strange defect that you cannot change yourself, and in the hopes He can fix it, you’d like to join us in our quest to visit the Wizard,” I said matter of factly. “So, what is it?”

“You’re a queer fellow aren’t you?” he said with a smirk. “If you’re referring to my devilish looks, then I can understand your assumption.”

It looked like he hesitated for a drum roll, then continued. “As for the Wizard, he rarely sees visitors anymore these days. Not after his run in with the Black Witch. Nasty business that was.”

“You’ve been to the Wizard?” I asked hopefully.

“Of course,” he said with a wink. “I’ve been the Castle jester there for several years. Youngest jester in history.”

“Then you can get us in to see him?” I asked, thankful that a replica of myself could finally be of help.

“You wouldn’t even need to put your name on the list,” he said confidently. “But as I said he stopped seeing visitors along time ago.”

“You said he rarely sees them,” I pointed out. “As the jester, surely you could get us a couple minutes of his time. It’s worth a try.”

“You’re right,” he replied. “It couldn’t hurt to try. I’m headed in that direction anyway. I’m sure once we’re there I can talk him into it. At the least you’ll be able to see the Castle. They are building a new wing for jesters you know. The Wizard wants me to train the next generation of funny men.”

“What’s so funny about you?” the first me asked rudely.

“A jester’s role is all about presentation, my straight-faced friend,” he said as he patted the first me’s shoulder like one would a child.

“It’s all about color,” he continued. “When have you ever seen someone with turquoise skin?”

“But you’re red,” the first me stated.

The third me glanced down into the mirror he held with a look of frustration. In that instant he turned from red to yellow.

“But of course,” he said. “Sometimes I just get carried away.”

“I trust him,” said the first me suspiciously.

“And your color now?” I asked, testing a hypothesis.

He hesitated a moment then glanced again into his mirror.

“This is where I tell you I’m a bold green color,” he said, “but, and don’t take offense, you say I’m wrong. It takes a keen eye to interpret the colors of a master jester.”

“I see,” I replied knowingly. “Well, there is one interpretation I’m sure of. You fit right in. Welcome.”

He gave me a confused look, which was made even more odd with his yellow skin. I did not wait for his next tall tale. I started walking toward the Castle looming in the distance.

After a few steps I realized no one was following me. I turned back to see three mes standing shoulder to shoulder.

I stared at them a moment and was forced to ask myself what it all meant. Why did I keep running into different versions of myself? There had to be a reason. As I looked over their features I was reminded of the quirks each possessed. I reviewed them in my mind. The first could not tell the truth about himself. The second could only speak of himself since he could not see anyone else. The newest addition changed colors but never knew what they were. The obvious connection between each was the inability to relate to others because of their own handicap. Something told me there was more, much more.

I contemplated leaving them behind. I no longer wanted their companionship on this journey. If the third me was anything like the first two, he was probably an outcast, rather than a heralded member of the Castle court. His presence could hurt more than it could help.

I grew tired thinking about it. I was not going to be able to figure that out with logic. It defied my intellect. It also became obvious to me I was going to have to tap a resource I did not possess.

I closed my eyes and felt a foreign sensation. Something was calling to me. There was an entity in the direction of the Castle that was warmly inviting me to join it. It hummed all around and moved around me like flowing water. The current was gentle and soft. For a brief second I felt something within me answer its call. Almost as if this unknown facet buried deep inside me smiled back. Was it an introduction or a reunion?

With that question I got a headache. The second me’s trick to relieve thirst and hunger did not work. It only made it worse.

“Hey,” I yelled back at my replicas. “Either follow me or I’ll bring some serious pain to each of you. Number two, you’re first.”

His unfocused eyes grew wide and he started immediately walking toward the jar that to him must have looked like it was hovering off the ground.

My outburst felt good, really good. It did not go past me I had given new meaning to the adage, ‘move your feet and your ass will follow.’

Chapter 5: Better Man

Almost imperceptibly, as we moved closer to the Castle, we entered into a sparkling white fog. It was not gray or dark like I was used to. I did not even notice it at first, as everything just seemed to be getting brighter. Once I became aware of it, I could only compare it to when a home video fades out to white. My entourage and I started to walk slower. The Castle was no longer visible, nor was the landscape to either side. After a time all I could see was the golden road for a few feet ahead and the outline of the three mes behind.

When I could no longer distinguish who was which, I starter to get very nervous.

“Hey Jester,” I said to the third me behind. “Is this normal? Does this fog go all the way to the Castle?”

The one in the middle responded. “Of course it is. The Wizard created this barrier to keep out the Black Witch. Unfortunately it keeps out everyone else as well.”

“How do you get in and out then?” I asked. He seemed sincere but something told me I was not getting the whole truth. Something was being left out.”

“I use my staff of course,” he answered and apparently held it up in the air as the end of it rubbed my arm.

“Well, couldn’t the Witch just use hers too?” I asked frustrated. “And where did you get yours?”

“The Wizard gave it to me,” he answered. “All the members of the court get one.”

“What’s so different about yours?” I asked.

“Not much really. Well, to be exact, only one thing,” his voice wafted through the fog. “It is connected to the Wizard through a special magic. The staff will return to the Castle at any time, the owner merely has to ask.”

“That’s it?” I stated exasperated. “Why didn’t you tell us this before?”

“Well,” he said, “I didn’t think about it. Also, it can only take one person, let alone four.”

I was about to get into the semantics of flying staffs when one of my replicas sounded a warning.

“Look out,” came the voice. “The Witch!”

Pandemonium broke loose. I turned to see the outline of the Witch just outside of the golden road. She was hovering off the ground with both arms directed downward. Something was coming out of her hands and going toward the ground.

Her arms raised and lighting began to erupt all around me. I dove to the ground, barely in time as I felt the heat of a bolt on the back of my neck right where my head had just been.

Before I had a chance to do anything else, I saw the silhouette of a me go bounding toward the Witch.

“You fool!” she howled.

The lighting suddenly ceased and the Witch’s form jerked high into the air and out of sight.

“What the hell was that?” came a startled voice within feet of me. I too was taken aback, not at the appearance and quick exit of the Witch, but the question came from a woman.

“The Black Witch,” I replied softly.

The woman screamed and leapt up. I saw her silhouette start to back away, looking frantically in each direction.

“It’s O.K.,” I said still lying down. “I’m a traveler on the road to the Wizard’s Castle.”

I rose slowly from the ground hoping not to scare her more. “Were you hurt?”

The outline of her head turned and locked on me.

“No,” she said as she ran her hands across her shoulder. “I thought for sure my back was burned. Lightning went right across it. Who the hell did you say that was?”

“That was the Black Witch. I don’t know what she was doing but I think we startled her,” I replied still trying to make sense of what happened.

“We startled her?” she belted back. “I think I pee’d a little.”

I could not help but laugh at that. She was so absolutely correct. The way she said it and the way her living shadow moved, I immediately felt connected to her. I had no idea who she was and that excited me.

“Yeah,” I said still laughing. “I guess that doesn’t make much sense. But neither does this bowl of milk we’re in.”

She giggled. It was a beautiful sound. One I immediately knew I wanted to hear again, and as much as possible.

“It doesn’t get any stranger than this,” she said. “The whole thing really. The people in the town and my guardian angel told me about the Witch but I didn’t expect that.”

“Patricia?” I asked excitedly.

“Who? No, her name was Angel Dear or that’s what I called her at least,” she said. “She was beautiful. She had long silver hair and a warm soft smile.”

Definitely not Patricia I thought. “Were the people in the town small and wearing flashy clothes?”

“Not at all,” she replied. “Sounds like we came from a different place. The people I met were giants. They were like twice my size.”

“Huh,” I said still contemplating what it all meant. “You’re right. It doesn’t get any weirder than this.”

“You don’t know the half of it,” she said flustered. “Ever since I’ve been here one creepy thing after another has been happening.”

She outstretched her hand and turned around, “Oh no!”

“What’s wrong?” I asked, hoping to be of help.

“The other… my friends were right behind me,” she said worried.

“Replicas of yourself?” I gathered from her hesitation at explaining who they were.

“How did?” was all she was able to get out.

“I had three trailing me as well,” I said. “I think one of them saved us from the Witch actually. Let’s see if they can hear us.”

We both started yelling our names into the pale murkiness all around us. Her name, I was happy to discover without the awkwardness of asking, was Elle.

By the looks of her outline she was thin, almost gaunt. She moved with a light grace that melted through the heavy cloud.

“It’s no use,” she said hoarsely. “They can’t hear us. I haven’t had anything to drink in days. I can barely speak let alone scream. I don’t know how I’m still even standing.”

“I can help you with that,” I said excited to be able to remove her discomfort.

I explained the trick I had learned from the second me.

“Wow,” she said after a moment of concentration. “That’s amazing. I’m not thirsty or hungry. My throat isn’t even dry anymore. What other tricks do you know?”

All my language skills instantly evaporated. I barely got a grunt out.

“Easy Matthew,” she said sweetly. The way my name sounded in her voice only worsened my sudden ignorance. “I was referring to anything that might help us out.”

She moved closer, reached out and held both of my hands. “We need to find ourselves.”

My mind came rushing back. I was suddenly very worried about my replicas, especially whichever one went running toward the Witch.

“Keep hold of my hand,” I said while squeezing one of hers. “If we separate we’ll never find each other again.”

We began to retrace our steps, being careful to stay on the golden road. We found each of ourselves in the opposite we had discovered them. Third me we came across first, his mirror and broom still in hand. The second me next, who was almost in a state of panic considering the only thing he could see was the slight outline of the jar at my side. He kept repeating over and over that he was going completely blind.

Elle’s replicas were just as strange as mine, although their deficiencies were completely different. We came upon our first replicas last. They had somehow found each other already within the haze and were talking.

“You know,” I overheard the first me saying, “I’ve never met someone so beautiful.”

Despite the fact it was not literally me who said it, and it was directed toward Elle’s replica, I blushed nonetheless.

“You can’t even see my face,” replied Elle’s first twin.

“That doesn’t matter at all,” the first me said. “I can see it anyway. You have the face of my mother, my sister, my guardian angel. Your eyes are peaceful, your smile laughter, your cheeks strength. It is elegant. It is love.”

The palm of my hand began to manufacture sweat at an alarming rate. How could I tell Elle this was not me, when it was me saying it? I was sure that she was getting angry at the first me’s pompousness.

“Wow,” Elle said after a long exhale. “That’s the most beautiful thing anyone has ever said to me. It was to a copy of me, but I’ll take it.”

Elle’s replica began to cry, obviously thinking the same thing.

“I love you Matthew,” the first Elle said.

“I love you too,” replied the first me.

Both Elle and I stiffened at the same time, although for different reasons I was to find out.

“But that’s impossible,” I said confused. “That me can’t tell the truth about himself to save his life.”

“It’s a miracle,” Elle said just as surprised.

“What is?” I asked.

“The first mirror image of myself can’t love,” she said starting to cry. “She wanted to join me to see the Wizard so she could love and be loved in return.”

Elle and I, along with our other replicas, stood silent for a time watching the new couple as they kissed and cried together. They walked over to us after speaking silently.

“We’ve decided to stay here,” said the first me. “Neither of us have reason to visit the Wizard now and every reason to remain.”

I could tell he was not going to be persuaded.

“What about the Witch?” Elle said concerned.

“Don’t worry about her,” said the third me. “I ran her off.”

I turned and looked at him surprised. Something told me his color skin would be important if I could only see it.

We said our goodbyes and decided we could not force them to continue, though both of us were worried about them. I was truly happy for the first me. He was the one I liked the most. He was the most sincere of the three, the one who genuinely wanted help. He was also the only one who seemed to understand his problem completely.

We left them behind and together Elle and I resumed our quest down the golden glowing road. Neither of us had spoken to a real human being since our initial entrance into this world. We told each other all that happened since our arrival. It was a relief to have someone else appreciate the insanity of the whole situation. Elle had a wonderful laugh and we shared a love for sarcasm, of which this world provided plenty of opportunities. I immediately felt comfortable with her. We were both able to act childlike together.

“So will your mirror copies behave themselves?” Elle said coyly. “Or do I need to separate my other selves from them?”

“Listen to what you just said,” I laughed. “You just asked if I need to chaperone a man following a jar and another carrying a mirror and a broom. Are your replicas so desperate?”

She gave me a stiff punch to my shoulder. “At lease I don’t blame my farts on them. And don’t you dare say it was number two again.”

“But it was!” I replied innocently.

We both laughed and continued to make the most of each other’s company. We were lost in a dream with only the dull outline of the road we walked and our clenched hands for comfort. For the first time since I had arrived I felt as though everything was going to work out. As long as Elle was by my side, nothing could be bad. I also felt as though she thought the same. It occurred to me that maybe I had never felt this way before. That maybe I was catapulted into this strange journey to meet her. Seeking the Wizard was a means to an end but this was something different entirely. Maybe we were meant to be together. Our replicas were able to solve their common problem. Maybe we could do the same for each other.

“I wonder if the problems of my other replica’s will go away like the first,” I thought out loud.

“I was just thinking the same thing,” she said.

Just as I was about to guess which ones of me would be the best for hers, Elle bumped into me and I stumbled, nearly falling.

“Would you like to share that flask in your back pocket?” I joked.

She laughed and said, “Again, blaming others. You ran into me.”

“Oh, sorry about that,” I said sarcastically. “I didn’t know we decided to stop walking down the center of the road.”

She stopped giggling. “Your joking right?”

“Well, yeah,” I said, surprised by how personal she was taking my comment. “But I really was just following the road.”

“Which way does the road go?” she asked concerned.

I pointed straight ahead of me wondering if maybe she was going blind.

“That’s not the direction the road goes,” she replied. “At least not the road I’m on.”

The meaning of what she said spread through me like ice water. “Not again. I’m not leaving you. I refuse.”

She burst into tears and put her arms around me. Somewhere within the void our lips met and our silhouettes intertwined into one.

“You meant that?” she asked with a strained voice.

“Yes,” I said with as much intention as I could inflect.

“What should we do?” she asked.

“We can’t stand still. I know that from experience,” I said. “One of us could lead the other down the road visible to them I guess.”

“Would that work?” she asked, her arms still draped over my shoulder.

“Sure, why not?” I assumed. “Not much different than the second me who can only see the jar around my waist.”

It made rational sense I thought.

“Don’t be a fool! That’s what the Witch wants,” said my third replica from behind as he moved closer with staff and mirror. “Can’t you see that the Witch set this whole thing up or has this girl clouded your mind into stupidity?”

It took me a few seconds to get over the fact the insult came from myself.

I let go of Elle and approached the third me with every intention of beating him with his own staff. Instead, I decided it was time to get some answers.

“I’ve heard that phrase before,” I growled. “The Witch said it just before she high tailed it outta here. What did you do exactly to scare her?”

“A simple trick to Wizard taught me,” He replied confidently. “Nothing more.”

“I don’t believe you,” I stated flatly. “You know much more than you have let us in on. Spill it.”

“I’m telling you,” he said taking a step toward me, “The Wizard told me about touching my staff to the Witch’s staff as a way to get rid of her. Nothing more. What you don’t seem to understand is the Witch will do anything to get you off this road. That’s when she has the advantage. What do you think she was doing when we came across her?”

I could tell he was telling the truth. However, I again had the sense he was leaving something out. He cared about our wellbeing, but for some other self-seeking reason that was hidden from me.

“I’ll tell you. The same thing she was trying to do when you first met our blind fellow here,” the third me pointed to the second. “She created that shortcut hoping you’d step off the path. She also combined your path with Placent’s, hoping again you would be distracted from your one and only purpose which is traveling this road to the Wizards Castle.”

“She was responsible for all that?” I asked amazed. “I didn’t know she could do that. How do you know all this?”

“Because I watched her do it,” he responded. “I’ve been trailing her ever since you arrived. I had an unfortunate run in with her. That’s when you found me on the road.”

“What are you saying?” I asked timidly, not wanting to hear the answer. “She was somehow able to combine my and Elle’s path? That doesn’t make any sense. To what end? What did she hope to accomplish?”

“This,” he said sweeping his staff across the divergent paths. “I guess she knew you’d fall for this girl. Either way you go, the Witch will have you both. Don’t you see that? One will be vulnerable and the other more than willing to put themselves at risk for the other. You will both falter.”

His words rang like a bell tolling across an open expanse. They were undeniable when taken in their entirety. I considered the possibilities for a moment but I could come up with none, save the obvious. Above all, I found myself caring for Elle’s well being. I did not want to endanger her in any way.

“You and I aren’t through,” I said to the third me. “There’s something you’re not telling me. I know that for sure.”

He didn’t respond. I turned back to Elle and took her hand in mine.

“He’s right,” I said gently. “I don’t see what else to do but to take separate paths. I will not spend eternity in the clutches of the Witch. Nothing is worth that and I’m sure you feel the same. I don’t think I could live knowing I was responsible for that.”

I sighed and gave her hand a squeeze. “I can’t protect you from the Witch. I want to lie and say I will. I want to tell you you’ll be safe with me and have nothing to worry about. But I can’t lie about this.”

I wanted to lie more than anything but for some reason I could not. I wondered if the departure of the first me had anything to do with my sudden honesty.

Elle did not say anything in response. I craved to hear her say that everything was going to be all right. I wanted to know that she did not think I was abandoning her. I understood, though, that it was not my place to probe her for the answer I was seeking. She had every right to be resentful. I had moments ago said I would never leave her. Everything had changed so quickly.

She slipped her hand from my grip and stepped off of my road onto hers. The path I could not see. Her two remaining replicas joined her. I could here them crying.

“Elle!” I yelled. “Wait, I’m sorry.”

I began to follow her but the third me grabbed my shoulders. The second me pulled the jar and rope. I did not care about the consequences. All reason vanished.

Elle did not turn around and in moments I could no longer see her silhouette. She was gone forever and so was my chance at happiness.
© Copyright 2008 MatthewK (mkilmurry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1392514-Wizard-of-God---Ch-4-Ch-5