*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393973-World-Trade-Center-Revisited
Rated: E · Poetry · Tragedy · #1393973
A poem I wrote after a trip to NYC, shortly after the tragic events of 9/11/01. Published.
Driving across the bridge and into the city,
I looked at a skyline that once seemed so pretty.
I could not believe the sight that I saw
it scared and shocked me and left me in awe.


Instead of skyscrapers touching the sky,
there were plumes of smoke; it made me cry.
The site where these massive buildings once stood,
was now just a pile of rubble and wood.


America the beautiful, America the great...
Who would have thought we'd endure such a fate?
These people who acted with such hatred and violence,
and the thousands of voices that they have now silenced.


The families now left without mothers and fathers,
parents who now grieve for lost sons and daughters.
The brave men and women who risked their own lives,
entered the buildings to help those left inside.


That ground is now hallowed, sacred and true
with the souls that we lost in that September coup.
World Trade Center, their final resting place,
take comfort in knowing they're in God's embrace.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

*Cry*  NOTE:  I live within driving distance of New York City.  I have friends who live and work in the city.  I was trying frantically to get in touch with them as these horrific events unfolded.  Fortunately, they were all fine...scared, shocked, but not physically hurt.  My boyfriend (at the time) was a police officer.  He got off duty at 8:00 AM that morning.  The terrorist attacks took place as he was driving home from work.  He called me to tell me that he was driving up there, with several other off-duty officers from his department, to help in any way they could.  Although these events touched me personally, I was fortunate that no one I know was injured or killed.  A few weeks after 9/11, we drove up there to see my friends.  Ground Zero was still burning and we could see the smoke from several miles away.  I wrote this poem after that trip.

*Star* This poem was published in an anthology in 2002.  The rhymes in the fourth stanza aren't exact rhymes.  It's poetic license.

*BulletV* This is featured on "The WDC 09-11 Memorial [E] by iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen
    Writing.Com remembers... .

Please stop by this forum to check out the wonderful pieces written in remembrance of those we lost.  We will never forget!

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
1st Place winner in "A Poem A Day Contest on 8/21/2011.


*Right* If you liked this poem, you may also like the following:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1809665 by Not Available.





© Copyright 2008 Julie D - PUBLISHED! (geminipoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393973-World-Trade-Center-Revisited