*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394210-Notice-me-Please
by EAB
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #1394210
A young woman finally gets the attention she seeks.
Behind her the noise grew but she was not going to let it ruin her date.  She had been waiting years for this moment.  Planning the details so that everything would be perfect.  She had been on the make for Jake Jenson since sixth grade.  She had watched from afar during high school and even had followed him to Rutgers in hopes that someday he would notice her.

She could hear the voices behind her but she blocked them out.  Her focus was on Jake.  He was talking about the intramural football game he had played earlier that day with his frat buddies.  She hung on every word as if he were recalling a winning touchdown catch in the Super Bowl. 

She was awaken from her trance by a bump in the back.  She would have turned to look but Jake was still talking.  He was reflecting on the weekend beer bash that the frat had put together, talking about how much he and his friends had drank.  She was mesmerized, more by Jake’s presence than by his conversation. 

She gazed at Jake as if he were a famous painting in the Metropolitan Museum; she had dreamed that Jake would take her there someday.  Jake took a drink of wine, she followed suit, making sure to sip as lady like as possible.  She didn’t normally drink wine but Jake had ordered some so she thought she should also.  Jake came from money so he know how to order the fancy stuff.  She had no idea.  Suddenly a toy car rolled past her feet chased by a small boy.  The boy scooted under her feet and grabbed the car, then scuttled back out of sight.  She hardly noticed and went back to Jake’s talk of his new Corvette.

This was it, she had finally got him to notice her.  She didn’t know how but it just happened.  She had secretly mapped out Jake’s daily routine, and had purposely planned her day to be in the same spots at the same time, but up until yesterday he had never noticed.

She heard the crying, it was growing and someone was very unhappy.  Jake paused and she turned to look.  The couple behind her had three kids and seemed to have their hands full.  She gave them little thought and turned back to Jake.

Jake began again talking about Psychology class.  He was making an A of course, Jake was a great student.  Without warning a glob of mashed potato flew over her shoulder and landed square in her wine.  The cup leaned slowly towards Jake and then as if someone had pushed it from the other side it started back towards her.  The glass toppled and wine poured out of the glass.  She reacted pushing herself back from the table, but it was too late the wine splashed on to her dress.  The legs of the chair caught on the carpet and she fell backward flat on her back.  She looked up and saw a small boy looking down at her smiling.  “Hi lady do you want some mashed tatos?”

Jake stood up walked around the table and looked down at her.  “You’re a mess. Sorry but I gotta go, see ya later babe.”

She smiled, he had finally noticed her.
© Copyright 2008 EAB (eaanb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394210-Notice-me-Please