*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395927-Mourning-After
by Vik
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Drama · #1395927
A man coming to grips with the death of a loved one
Title
FADE IN.


1. INT. KITCHEN, MORNING, COLOR.

HE sits alone in the kitchen eating his oatmeal.

He is wearing a red shirt, jeans and slippers. His hair is a mess.

HE puts a spoonful of oatmeal into his mouth then reaches for the newspaper on the table.

HE chews slowly while glancing over the headlines.

HE folds the newspaper then stands up. Leaving the food unfinished and the newspaper on the table.

HE makes his way out of the kitchen and into the living room.


2. INT. LIVING ROOM, MORNING, COLOR.

HE enters the living room; the area looks like it has not been cleaned for a while.

HE sits on the sofa chair and leans his head back for a moment closing his eyes tightly then opening them.

HE moves his head forward and HE sees a picture of a WOMAN wearing a red dress on top of the living room table.

Beside the picture we see a ring.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


3. INT. LIVINGROOM, FLASHBACK, B&W.

We see a WOMAN wearing a red dress sitting on the sofa chair laughing then waving at him to come to her.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


4. INT. LIVINGROOM, MORNING, COLOR.

HE stands from the chair and sits on the floor.

HE grabs the ring looks at it intensely and spins it on the table. HE then stands and walks out of the room.


5. INT. BEDROOM, MORNING, COLOR.

HE enters the bedroom slamming the door behind him. HE looks around the room with a confused look.

The room is of medium size with a bed and two bed tables on both sides. To the far left we see a used oxygen tank.

On the right table we see a pack of cigarettes on the left we see an empty vase and a stack of books. 

The bed is a mess, the sheets crumpled and unchanged for a while.

HE moves to the bed and falls facing the ceiling He rests on the bed facing the ceiling and closes his eyes.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


6. INT. BEDROOM, FLASHBACK, B&W.

We see the WOMAN wearing the same red dress lying beside him in the left side of the bed laughing and reaching out about to kiss him.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


7. INT. BEDROOM, MORNING, COLOR.

HE opens his eyes and abruptly sits up.

HE looks to the bed table to his right and sees the pack of cigarettes.

HE gets the pack and pulls a stick out. HE reaches into his left pocket and grabs a Zippo lighter.

HE ignites the lighter and HE lights the cigarette and takes a deep puff.

Each shot moves seamlessly into another at a slow pace of the music.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


8. INT. BEDROOM, FLASHBACK, B&W.

The WOMAN is lying beside him lighting a cigarette with the same Zippo lighter and taking a puff.

She looks at the lighter and smiles.

She blows smoke on his face.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


9. INT. BEDROOM, MORNING, COLOR.

HE gets aggravated his eyes wince in anger.

HE looks at the Zippo lighter we see an inscription:
               
                TO MY SOULMATE

HE throws it across the room.

MONTAGE:

HE throws the lighter from different angles four times.

END MONTAGE:

HE stares at the wall momentarily dazed. HE looks to the left corner of the room and sees the oxygen tank.

HE puts the cigarette out on the ashtray.

HE stands from the bed, walks slowly and puts his arms around himself as he nears the oxygen tank.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


10. INT. LIVINGROOM, FLASHBACK, B&W.

HE and the WOMAN are facing each other.

She is wearing the same red dress; HE is in business attire holding a bouquet of red roses.

HE drops the bouquet of roses onto the floor.

She looks sad, tears are falling down her cheeks.

HE falls to his knees and starts crying. She walks over and hugs his head to her stomach.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


11. INT. BEDROOM, MORNING, COLOR.

HE stands staring intensely in front of the oxygen tank breathing heavily.

His hands shake and close to a fist.

HE looks beside the tank and sees a table with an empty vase on top and a short stack of books.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


12. INT. BEDROOM, FLASHBACK, B&W.

SHE is lying on the bed, HE is on left bedside and both are dressed in their house clothes.

SHE is pale, weak, and covered in sweat. HE looks tired and harassed.

To her left is the oxygen tank; beside it on top of a small table is a vase with a single rose.

She coughs hard, HE helps her put the oxygen mask on her face.

HE holds her hand and THEY both look at each other, she looks at him and smiles.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


13. INT. BEDROOM, MORNING, COLOR (MONTAGE)

HE goes berserk; we see a series of shots of him trashing his surroundings.

HE grabs and pushes the oxygen tank to the floor. The oxygen tank hits the floor.

HE knocks the books on the floor. The books fall on the floor.

HE starts tearing the bed sheets and pillows from the bed. We see the sheets fly in the air.

END MONTAGE.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


14. INT. BEDROOM, FLASHBACK, B&W

We see the WOMAN holding his hand smiling at him.

HE holds her hand looking sad and tears falling from his eyes.

She slowly closes her eyes, and then her hand goes limp.

HE lifts her head and hugs her burying his head on her shoulder.

FLASH/JUMPCUT


15. INT. BEDROOM, MORNING, COLOR TO B&W

The room is a mess, the bed sheets and books are on the floor.

HE stands uneasily breathing heavy and looking over the fallen objects.

HE staggers towards the bed but sits on the floor beside it.

HE looks at the table with the empty vase untouched by his rage.

HE then puts his hand on his right pocket and pulls the ring out.

HE looks at the ring and smiles as tears fall from his eyes. On the floor we see a single rose petal.

FADE OUT.

Roll Credits

The End
© Copyright 2008 Vik (vpaquino at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395927-Mourning-After