*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395940-Mahal
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Vik
Rated: · Script/Play · Drama · #1395940
Young newly weds who are starting out together but have very little to their name.
Title

“Mahal In Filipino means expensive. It also means love”.

FADE IN.

1. EXT.  A DESERTED DIRT ROAD, DUSK.

A young woman MARIA walks alone at the side of the road. She is thin with long black hair tied in a ponytail.

She has a fair complexion and wears an old eighties designed t-shirt, jeans, and worn out Chuck Taylor sneakers.

She carries three bags of groceries, two bags in the left hand one on the right.

She moves at a slow pace, sweating and panting heavily.

                                MARIA (V.O.)
I should have known better but how was I supposed to know? I thought I had more money when I left this morning. This should never have happened, I should’ve known better.

FADE OUT.

Super Title: ‘Earlier that day’

FADE IN.

2. INT.  SANDOVAL RESIDENCE, KITCHEN, MORNING.

The early morning sunlight cuts through the open window and illuminates the kitchen.

MARIA, her hair tied in a bun and wearing her nightgown, prepares sandwiches on the table beside the sink.

The kitchen is a small space with a table, two chairs, and a gas stove beside the sink.

NOEL rushes into the kitchen. He wears only in his pants and shoes. He is holds a white button up polo shirt.

                                          NOEL
One of the buttons in my shirt is missing I can’t wear this to work. Do I have an extra one that’s clean and has all the buttons complete?

NOEL holds out the shirt showing MARIA where and which button is missing.

                                          MARIA
Check the cabinets upstairs, I washed all your work clothes yesterday so most of what’s in the cabinet is clean. Give me that shirt; I’ll re-stitch the button when I get home from the market.

NOEL leaves the polo shirt on the table.

                                          NOEL
Thank you. I’m so glad I married a woman who’s always on top of things.

He moves out of the kitchen and heads upstairs. MARIA smiles to herself and shakes her head.

                                            MARIA (V.O.)
They say taking care of a man during the first few months of marriage prepares you for when you have your first child. Not that he is a child, but there are times when he does act like one. If I left the organizing of his clothes to him, it would be a complete mess.


3. INT.  SANDOVAL RESIDENCE, BEDROOM, EARLY MORNING.

NOEL searches through the cabinet, the cabinet has three drawers one on top of the other.

He opens the middle drawer and sifts through the neatly folded stack at the same time being careful not to make a mess.
                                                NOEL
                                              (Shouting)
Honey, where did you put my office shirts? I can’t find them in the cabinet! I’m going to be late I need to find a shirt now!

                                                MARIA
                                              (Shouting but faint)
For God’s sakes, look with your eyes not with your mouth! Check the bottom drawer that’s where I put all your work clothes!

NOEL opens the bottom drawer and sees all his office shirts neatly stacked.

                                                    NOEL
                                                  (Shouting)
Found it!


4.  INT.  SANDOVAL RESIDENCE, KITCHEN, MORNING.

MARIA hears the scrambling footsteps of her husband on the second floor as she wraps the sandwiches. She hears a loud bang upstairs and looks up.

                                      MARIA (shouting)
What the hell is going on up there?


NOEL walks down the stairs carrying his bag and wearing a new polo shirt.

She puts the sandwiches in his bag.

Before she can ask about the bang she heard, he hands her five one hundred peso bills.

                                        NOEL
One of the drawers fell from the closet when I opened too hard. Here is money left over from last month’s salary. Use it to buy whatever you think we need for food.

MARIA gives him an irate look.

                                          MARIA
You better fix the drawer when you get home because I won’t.

NOEL smiles.

                                          NOEL
Ok.

His facial expression changes as he looks at her intently.

                                            MARIA
What?

                                            NOEL
                                          (Serious worried tone)
I think you should just go to the market during the weekend. It’s better that way so I can go with you instead of you going there alone.

                                              MARIA
How many times are we going to debate about this? I can take care of myself and I can still handle things here at home. If ever things get too difficult for me to handle on my own then I’ll ask for your help.

                                              NOEL
I don’t like the idea of you traveling to the city all by yourself. You go to the market two to three times in the week, and you have housework to deal with.

                                                MARIA
Even if I go to the market once every weekend the money I have for groceries isn’t enough. If I got a job we could have extra cash flowing in.

NOEL’S facial expression turns angry.

                                                  NOEL
I’m sorry if I don’t make enough money even though I work hard everyday.

                                                  MARIA
Me getting work would help lessen the pressure you have trying to keep us stable financially. Plus extra income means we’ll have more money to use and save.

                                                  NOEL
Ok, I’ll think about it. I still don’t like the idea of you going to the city all by yourself. If I made more money this wouldn’t be a problem and we wouldn’t be having this discussion. I’ll see you later.

NOEL walks out of the door leaving MARIA in the kitchen.

She takes her wallet out of her pocket and places the money inside.

She walks up the stairs to their room.



5. INT.  SANDOVAL RESIDENCE, BEDROOM, LATE MORNING.

MARIA sits on the side of the bed sewing some small rips and holes on the shirt she plant to wear.

The bedroom is small, but big enough for two people.

We see the closet and the broken drawer filled with socks placed on the floor.

Light from the outside shines through the window where she sits.

Her fingers and hands move fast as she closes the rips on the shirt.

                                              MARIA (V.O.)
People say you can’t live off love alone, I wish they were wrong. NOEL and I always end up having arguments about money. He worries about me, but it’s not like we have a choice either.

She bites the thread to cut off how much she only needs. She effortlessly puts the thread through the eye of the needle.

                                              MARIA (V.O. CONT’D)
It’s hard to find work these days, so he accepts any offer he gets regardless of his salary. His current work as a speech writer for the mayor pays little. He’s asked for a raise so many times but they can’t afford to give him one. He can’t quit because we can’t afford him being unemployed, we’ll run out of money in less than a month. My getting a job would definitely help in our current situation. I hope that he sees that.


She holds the shirt up and checks to see if the holes are patched up right.

                                                MARIA (V.O. CONT’D)
This should do, it’s old but it’s still usable. Better to wear an old shirt than none at all.

She smiles and puts the shirt on the bed. She stands up and walks to the bathroom and closes the door. We hear running water being switched on.

CUT TO:


6. INT.  JEEPNEY, MIDDAY. 

The jeepney is moving down a dirt road. MARIA sits quietly, half asleep.

Beside her right, two MEN laugh loud. Both look like construction workers with sun burnt complexions.

Both are wear sweaty shirts with small holes on them.

                                                      MAN#1
I’m serious, that’s what she told me. Here I am a working stiff trying to survive in this shit house economy and that bitch has the nerve to say that in my face. With the rise in the cost of gas, electricity, and food you’d think some people would have the sense to be more understanding.

                                                        MAN#2
That’s the problem with the world today. Everything is all about money. Women these days, all they care about are money. If you can’t afford their airs and graces you don’t get in. Hell you don’t even get to smell it.



Both MEN laugh MARIA turns away shaking her head. One of the men takes notice.

                                                        MAN#1
What’s wrong lady? Where you offended with what he said? Or are you ashamed because we’re telling the truth.

MARIA looks away pretending not to hear anything. HE continues to stare at her and notices her wedding band.

                                                        MAN#1
Married huh? Tell me is it true? Do women only want money? I couldn’t give her the world, so she told me to fuck off. Tell me lady, is that right?

MARIA looks at the man, their eyes meet.

                                                          MARIA
I don’t know anything about what happened between you and your girlfriend but picking on me doesn’t make you feel any better does it. You shouldn’t lower yourself any further by taking your frustrations out on other people. Be a man just get over it!

MAN#2 stops smiling and looks down. MAN#1 looks at her shirt and notices the small holes in the seams that were stitched up.

                                                          MAN#1
You’ve got balls lady! Your husband is a lucky guy. Maybe when I met a new girl she’ll be the one who isn’t hung up on material possessions, someone who’ll care for me and even though I’m just a poor construction worker. Someone who can sew the holes on my shirts like you.

MAN#1 leans on his seat and looks away. MARIA looks at one of the holes on her shirt she had sewn shut. She turns to face the window.


CUT TO:


7. EXT. FARMERS MARKET SQUARE, AFTERNOON.

The market stalls are tightly packed together. Various kinds of meat vegetable and fish hang in display.

VENDORS shout and barter their wares to PEOPLE passing by.

The jeepney stops and the PASSENGERS step down.

MARIA steps down and walks to the entrance of the market. She pulls a grocery list out of her pocket.

There are a total of seven items on the list.

                                                        MARIA (V.O.)
I only have enough money for a few items, so I have to only get what we need for the week. When I get home I have to plan how I can ration the food so NOEL and I can stretch it at the most till mid next week. I won’t have to go back to the market later this week. 

She looks and sees a sign that directs her to the seafood area. She walks in that direction.


8. INT. FARMERS MARKET, SEAFOOD AREA, AFTERNOON.

MARIA covers her nose to dampen the fishy odor. She spots a stall with a sign that reads “tinapang bangus buy one take one”.

The stall is small with a variety of fish laid out in the front.

The FISH MONGER is cutting a cat-fish to pieces with a sharp and thin knife.

He is a tall middle-aged man with a scar on his cheek. He is so tall his head is almost touching the roof of the stall.

                                                          FISH MONGER
What do you wish to purchase? We have tilapia freshly caught and brought in from the provinces. We also have fresh tinapang bangus two for the price of one.

                                                          MARIA
Do you have any tinapang bangus na tumpok-tumpok?

The FISH MONGER grumbles and goes to the back of the stall. HE takes out a basket full of tinapang bangus scrap. He gives her a serving spoon and a plastic bag.

                                                          FISH MONGER
Get how much you want and put it in the plastic bag; I’ll weigh it for you when you’re done.

                                                          MARIA
Thank you.

She scoops the fish into the plastic bag.

The FISH MONGER grabs a weighing scale from behind the counter. He places it on the table.

MARIA fills the bag half-full then hands it to the FISH MONGER. He takes the bag and weighs it on the scale.

                                                          FISH MONGER
Ok, that’s one hundred pesos for the bangus.

                                                            MARIA
How about I pay you seventy-five pesos for it?


The FISH MONGER scratches his head.

                                                            FISH MONGER
Eighty-five pesos I can’t go lower than that. That would be practically giving it away to you.

MARIA nods and takes her wallet out. She counts and hands him the money.

The FISH MONGER counts the money and gives her the bag. He grumbles a little and resumes chopping the catfish.

                                                            MARIA (V.O.)
That’s one item down and six more to go. If I’m lucky maybe I’ll have some money left over, I can buy some beef shanks as an extra bonus.

MARIA walks away from the stall.


9. INT. FARMERS MARKET, VARIOUS STALLS, MONTAGE.

We see various shots of MARIA in different stalls in the market purchasing then crossing the items from her list.

END MONTAGE:


10. INT. FARMERS MARKET, BUTCHER STALL, LATE AFTERNOON.

MARIA stands facing one of the butcher stalls in the area. She inspects the meat displayed in front of her.

The BUTCHER talks to other COSTUMERS from behind the counter.

The ASSISTANT is cuts the meat in thin slices using a mechanical meat cutter.

                                          MARIA (V.O.)
I still have enough money to buy the beef shanks. If I could get it half the price I could still go home with some money to spare.

Both men wear bloodstained white overalls. The old BUTCHER is in his sixties. The young ASSISTANT is in his late teens.

MARIA spots two perfect sized beef shanks in the left corner of the display.

She motions to the BUTCHER who motions back telling her to wait. The other COSTUMERS finally leave, the BUTCHER walks to her.

                                          BUTCHER
Good afternoon young lady, is there anything you want? We have a special today on special spicy tocino from Pampanga.
 
                                            MARIA
I would like to get some beef shanks. How much are they?

The BUTCHER gets the two beef shanks. He weighs them on a suspended scale hanging in front of MARIA.

The needle on the scale gives a measurement.

                                            BUTCHER
According to this the shanks are around three hundred pesos. But I could bring it down to two hundred seventy-five.

He says with a big smile and a wink.

                                              MARIA
How about two hundred sixty pesos plus reduce the weight of the shanks by half a kilo?

                                              BUTCHER
Ok, two hundred fifty but that’s my final price. I need to make money too you know.

                                              MARIA
Thank you.

MARIA takes her wallet out from her pocket and opens it. She starts counting her remaining money.

She suddenly stops, and looks at the BUTCHER.

The BUTCHER wraps the beef shanks and places it on her side of the counter.

                                              MARIA (V.O.)
Oh shit, two hundred fifty pesos it’s all I have left in my wallet. I’ve spent all the money NOEL gave me. Now I don’t have any jeepney fare.

The BUTCHER sees the anxious look on her face. He frowns and crosses his arms.

                                                BUTCHER
                                                (Irritated)
I don’t believe this; don’t tell me you don’t have the money to pay for this!

                                                MARIA
                                              (Nervous voice)
I do have money it’s just that…

                                                BUTCHER
I’m not giving this meat away for free. Give me my money!

SHE hands HIM the money. The BUTCHER snatches the money from her hands and counts it.

He looks at her in disdain then turns his back. MARIA takes the shanks and walks away from the stall.


CUT TO:

11. EXT. PARK, LATER.

MARIA sits alone on a park bench; her grocery bags are beside her.

She faces a street filled with cars stopping once in awhile due to the traffic at the nearby intersection.

She notices some STREET CHILDREN crossing the highway.

                                                  MARIA (V.O.)
Earlier today, one of those guys in the jeepney said that the problem of the world today is that everything is about money. The world doesn’t care about you if you have little or none, maybe he‘s right. Love doesn’t feed you at the end of the day money does.

MONTAGE:

We see the STREET CHILDREN sleeping, selling sampagita to the cars stuck in traffic, and begging in the streets.

The DRIVERS knock at the window indicating they’re not interested.


                                                    MARIA (V.O.)
These CHILDREN people ignore them because they remind them of how damaged our society is. They remind us of how close some of us are to becoming like them and how our problems pale in comparison. So we ignore them, if we don’t see we don’t know. Ignorance is bliss.

END MONTAGE:

MARIA stands carrying the grocery bags. She looks up the sky, the stars are coming out as the sun’s light dims.

                                                      MARIA (V.O. CONT’D)
I have a long way to walk before I get home. I shouldn’t complain, at least I have a home to go to.

She looks at the CHILDREN once more then walks away.

CUT TO:


12. EXT.  A DESERTED DIRT ROAD, DUSK.

The sun goes down on the horizon.

MARIA walks alone at the side of the road.

Her hands are red from the strain of carrying the bags. Her movement and posture show her exhaustion.

                                                      MARIA (V.O.)
NOEL is going to be pissed. How do I tell him that I spent all the money he gave me then could not afford the fare home? I can’t believe I was so careless to let myself fall into buying impulsively.

She stops and places the grocery bags on the ground. She checks the soles of her shoes they are starting to wear and tear away. Dammit, these shoes are not meant for to be used for walking at long distances. My feet are getting strained, just ignore the pain and keep moving.

A car engine is heard from a distance. MARIA picks the groceries up. She turns to where the sound is coming from.

She spots a jeepney heading the opposite way with a MAN sticking his hand of the window and waving at her.

                                                      NOEL (shouting)
MARIA!!

MARIA stands still holding the grocery bags. The jeepney stops a few feet from her.

NOEL jumps down running towards her. He gives her a hug, and she drops the grocery bags.

                                                      NOEL
What the hell happened to you? When I got home from the office you still weren’t home. I got worried so I decided to look for you. Did the jeepney driver let you off before coming to town? See this is what I was talking about earlier.

MARIA buries her face on his shoulder as she embraces him.

                                                      NOEL
Come on let’s go home. I’ll take the bags you just relax now.

Both of THEM get on the jeepney.

CUT TO:


13. INT. SANDOVAL RESIDENCE, NIGHT.

MARIA bursts into the house, she runs up the stairs to their bedroom.

NOEL follows carrying the grocery bags, looking a little surprised and concerned at her sudden change in behavior.

                                                        NOEL
Are you all right?

                                                        MARIA
                                                        (Shouting)
I’m fine I’m just tired.

                                                        NOEL
You don’t sound fine. I’ll just unpack the groceries in the kitchen then I’ll come up there, we need to talk.

MARIA does not reply.


14. INT. SANDOVAL RESIDENCE, BEDROOM, NIGHT.

The door opens slowly NOEL sticks his head in. MARIA is dressed in her house clothes sitting on the bed.

NOEL walks over and sits at the edge of the bed. He puts his hand on her shoulder.

                                                            NOEL
What’s the matter?

                                                          MARIA
                                                          (Angry tone)
I did something stupid; I just can’t believe I was so careless.

MARIA stands and walks to the window. NOEL still sitting on the bed looks at her.

                                                          MARIA (CONT’D)
I didn’t take a jeep ride home. I walked all the way from the market.

                                                          NOEL
                                                        (Surprised)
You walked all the way from the city? What happened to the money I gave you for groceries and fare?

                                                          MARIA
I bought everything we needed in the list, and had some money to spare. So I went and bought some beef shanks, the last price the butcher gave me was the exact amount I had left in my wallet. I couldn’t refuse because I got it for half the price and half the kilo. I don’t normally get carried away with spending our money.

MARIA turns to him then looks out the window again.

                                                        MARIA (CONT’D)
I spent all the money when we could have saved more, we could’ve just used the money to keep things going from now till your next paycheck comes in.

NOEL stands and walks to her. He puts his arm around her.

                                                        NOEL
When I got home and you weren’t here, I was scared something bad might have happened to you. When I saw you standing on the road I was relieved beyond words. I don’t doubt for a minute that you’re capable of running a house, but you can’t do it alone. Please let me help, sometimes I come home from work early. I can do some housework; I can do the laundry or cook dinner. I can help clean the house during the weekend or even go with you to the market.

MARIA faces him. He still has his arms around her. She looks him in the eyes.

                                                        MARIA
I want to look for work we need the extra income. I’ll look for something part-time so I’ll still have time to do some housework. Please, we need this.

                                                        NOEL
You’re right, what’s important is that we help each other from now on. I shouldn’t always rely on you to do all the housework all the time, and you shouldn’t rely on me to do all the work bringing the money in. I’m sorry if I’ve been too stubborn to see that.

MARIA eyes start tear. A teardrop falls to her cheeks NOEL gently brushes it off her cheeks.

                                                        NOEL (CONT’D)
You are more important to me than all the money in the world. We may not be as well off as others but at least we love each and that to me is all the wealth I need ever for the rest of my life. I love you so much.

                                                        MARIA
I love you too.

They hug and passionately kiss.

                                                      NOEL
I’ll cook dinner you just relax tonight.

                                                      MARIA
Thanks


15. INT. SANDOVAL RESIDENCE, KITCHEN, NIGHT.

MARIA and NOEL sit at the dining table facing each other.

On the table we see a plate of the tumpok-tumpok tinapang bangus, a pot filled with rice, and a bottle of soda.

MARIA gets and pours soda into NOEL’S glass. She pours the same amount into hers.

They make the sign of the cross and bow their heads.

                                                        NOEL
LORD, thank you for the food we are about to eat. Thank you for keeping MARIA out of harms way today. We pray that tomorrow will be new day of opportunities and continuing love for us. We pray that we continue to love one another, and we pray for those who are less fortunate than us. Those who have nothing to eat and nowhere to sleep we pray that you shelter them with your infinite love. We pray in your name amen.

The COUPLE eat and hold hands in the dimly lit kitchen.

                                                      MARIA
By the way you still have to fix the drawer you broke this morning.

                                                      NOEL
Hey I cooked dinner, so maybe tonight you fix the drawer. Aren’t we meant to help each other out?

MARIA gives him an annoyed look. NOEL starts laughing.

                                                      NOEL
I’m kidding I’ll fix it after dinner.


                                                      MARIA
Damn right you’re going to fix it.

Silence passes between the two as they eat.

                                                      MARIA
This is good, how did you cook the fish this way?

                                                    NOEL
That’s easy first I…

                                                    MARIA (V.O.)
They say a married couple starting out can’t live on love alone. Maybe that’s true in the world we live in. But if there is one thing I believe regardless of how things are in the world you can’t live without love with or without money.

The COUPLE in the kitchen eat, talk, and laugh. They enjoy each other’s company. There is nothing else in the world but them at that moment in that place in time.


FADE OUT.


The End
© Copyright 2008 Vik (vpaquino at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395940-Mahal