*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396682-Daughters
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Emotional · #1396682
gifts that only a daughter can give
On March 15th, 1988, a baby girl came into my life after having two sons a decade before.
She wasn't planned like the boys were .. She came as a surprise. Her father was in a place in his life where he thought his family was almost raised and all those things he had put off for their education was just around the corner. A time for him and the woman he was married to. Weekend trips, vacations, toys in the garage, peace and quiet, a time to find himself again as he was before his firstborn changed his life.
His time was close. The boys were in their teens now.. Just a couple more years and the freedom bells would ring..
But then it happened. His trusted partner in life told him of a new addition to the family. He couldnt believe what she was saying... The words were there but they had no meaning.. He heard the words but they were so devastating they couldn't possibly be true. He had to wake up! This wasnt real...It cant be happening. His family was all but raised and at age 41 there was no way he was starting all over!
Weeks went by and he couldn't embrace the idea he was to be a new father. That 18 years had been added to his responsibilities as a father at age 41.
Then the day came that he was going with the mother of this child to the Dr's office. The Dr wanted to run a test to make sure that the baby and womb were fine since the mother was 40 years old. The mere fact they had to take such a test supported his position of being to old to start a new family.
After the test was complete the Dr ordered a ultr-sound. And as the new father in denial looked at the screen, he saw her for the first time. Suddenly, this wasnt a condition, it was a child.. Not just a child but a girl. And at that very precise moment he fell in love with her. Madly, crazy in love with her.
She had two teenage brothers and a father and mother to spoil her. She didnt stand a chance.
As she grew she became this direct but petite human being. She had no filter to sift her thoughts thru before she spoke. What ever came in to her brain came out her mouth. She had attitude and opinions by the time she was 4.
She loved music and to sing. She would make up songs as she went sometimes instead of always singing nursery rymes or songs that shed heard.
So as she started pre-school they enrolled her in the church Jr choir. She loved it except when mom and dad were around. She would be singing strong and loud until she would make eye contact with her family and then stare at the floor and shut down. And no matter how much they smiled and waived and made complete fools of themselves to get her to once again sing, she was stubborn and the frown in her forehead would just get deeper. He was worried because he felt like she had this passion and talent and her shyness would keep her from exposing these talents.
He watched her grow..And it was much to fast.
And slowly she became a butterfly.
As she grew older she excelled in dance and won several contests and tournaments. Each one making her more confident. And with confidence came maturity and taking risks unafraid. She experienced high school to its max. She formed a dance team for her high school and competed in state competitions on behalf of her school and won honors each year individually and as a team.
The day came she finally graduated Thomas Jefferson High. This shy little girl who wouldnt lift her eyes from the floor in that church choir was now taking her diploma and walking down the steps. This girl who was a complete surprise and yet such a gift..
She presently is in her second year of college. Age 20.
And all her father can do is sit in silence remembering.
No more tea parties, no more stories before bed, no mre birthday cakes with silly faces on them, no more clowns and magic tricks to help celebrate, no more cookies and milk for Santa, no more songs, no more nursery rhymes, no more barbie dolls, no more camping trips, no more playing hooky from school and going to the park, no more giggling and tickeling, no more questions about the world and life, no more toys left out, no more being a heroe to a little face with tears on its cheeks, no more Easter dresses and patent leather shoes and curls, no more pig tails, no more daddy being the only man in his little girls life.
She has become this beautiful spirit full of hope and dreams and goals with the attitude she can do anything she wants, She has replaced that awkward age with beauty and grace..She has accomplished all this in spite of her Dad.
And her dad couldnt have more pride. A front row seat to this miracle of life.
From the ultra sound to the present, its been a ride he longs to take over again.
Melissa marie? You my beautiful daughter, you are loved very much!
And your life has just begun......
© Copyright 2008 BDaniel (danielb510 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396682-Daughters