*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1398402-The-Dream-is-Life-Death-is-Dreaming
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1398402
Grade 12 literary essay with an experimental approach.
On the Context of Dreams

One of the most salient features of human imagination is its ability to generate the phenomenon of DREAMS. When a mind plunges into the unfathomable world of subconscious thought, seldom does it divulge secrets. Even so, latent as they may be, strange glimpses do arise; in sleep and in the insight of our apperceptive lives. For the purpose of the context in this essay only the latter shall be considered. DREAMS of this kind mask themselves in the aspirations and guiding forces that strip us of control. In a universe so aimlessly held in the arms of entropy, it gives us a sense of stability to lean on these DREAMS; always by our side.


The DREAM is Life, Life is Death, and Death is DREAMING


Blindly stare into the DREAM as it rhythmically intertwines with the PURPOSE of life. Shimmering desires, desperate and grandiose, collide with a cloudy direction which seems clearer in the chaos. One need not look to starry skies, deathly doctrines or elusive wisdom that seeps through thoughts, withers and dies, but to a place much closer. Inside the mind, profound insight that life’s PURPOSE reveres so highly streams out of the DREAM. Catch its heart and feel the beating pulse truthful MEANING down the bloodline. Stab its heart and feel the MEANING as it pulsates in absentia without the beat. Each embrace an opportunity in the hearts of the beholder, yet cast aside the other’s offer and succumb to destruction. Mark Z. Danielewski’s Only Revolutions embodies the first and slowly wastes away the last. Contrasting through the DREAM dissolved, Jack Kerouac’s On the Road soars high on nihilistic wings of pure chance and freedom. The validity of a life PURPOSE waxes or wanes with the tide of interpretation on the essence of DREAMS.
Mountains sprout out from the DREAM and soak in suffering the pathways and cross-ways pushing through the PURPOSE. Prevailing past conceives new hope and incentives cause the MEANING to last on. But in the failing of a victims flailing the MEANING’S demise is discharged into dire perception; losing momentum. Strung out on hospital beds in Only Revolutions, death looms by Hailey’s side cross-crissing all across her lover Sam’s mind. Perils, a hardship, a grinding halt to their DREAM imposingly overcome by vibrant health. Close calls quickly carry realizations to those involved and soon Sam sees the MEANING in Hailey’s healing eyes. Yet caught in the undertow, their assailing nemesis the “creep” strands them in the midnight moon glowing. Another peak to the lovers’ mountain range stifling the MEANING’S way. Revolt! Rebel! Retract the “creep’s” peaks into the ground! Let him ebb in the decay-web! Reappearing in the moonlight is their PURPOSE (facing the fray as one) now restored and marked true. Protruding a precipice into Sam’s head, death dawns again. An escape for life eludes his fading as slipping tears sink over Hailey with softly spoken words: “Everyone betrays the Dream but who cares for it? O Sam no, I could never walk away from you” (Danielewski 360). Such strength amidst death’s dark haze reveals in the distress of the DREAM that her MEANING is none other than Sam. Thus, through the tribulations of the DREAM one’s PURPOSE is projected to the world.
On the road in On the Road embarking on his journey’s winding trail, Jack sticks out a thumb. The DREAM speaks fresh, but bit by piece follows the passing cars that disappear on the horizon. Luck lost underneath the setting sun, his optimistic PURPOSE is ostracized by diminishing rays; dimming belief. It too dissipates. Years past and miles away, Jack argues Neal all whirlwind, heat and flash. The diner walls bleed with irony his views concealed: a man is tied together by tightly binding DREAMS and only DREAMS. Surely Jack, a shambling man marred too far, negates the notion of a MEANING. A man marred must live unwound without a DREAM to keep him balanced bound. And in the offshoot, all PURPOSE disperses alongside whipping winds when the DREAM dies. So, into rushing rivers it dives deep, enticing those who seek the DREAM to tremble on its banks. Despite no drive, Jack pursues such raging streams snaking in DREAMS: “I wanted to sit on the muddy bank and dig the Mississippi River; instead of that I had to look at it with my nose against a wire fence” (Kerouac 140). An obstructing cage illuminates the forlorn glances of Jack’s DREAM clashing wire. Defeated and descending DREAMS steer a wayward PURPOSE wandering towards nothingness. Surmount the DREAM when sifting through the mire and MEANING will appear. Surrender and send the aim writhing.
Vivacious vibes hurtle from the DREAM stun-setting the MEANING between its wakes. Attainable goal-grasping reaches shower the standstill; clinching hard. But when earsplitting shrieks scream from the DREAMING, a PURPOSE fritters to flourish and is reduced to the empty. Ambition’s spirit lingers in fleeting, forgetting and fearing the onslaught of a certain end. Sam and Hailey share a love like shooting starshines above the Earth. Embracing love as their DREAM, together they transcend the scathing: “Everyone betrays the Dream but you are it” (Danielewski 180). And if DREAMS are “you” and love is DREAMS and love is only living, than the PURPOSE is merely loves moving for the other. PURPOSE unlocks the real with keys to ascension. Soon the “creep” rears his head resembling broken hearts. Sam and Hailey’s tested love gathers all its power. Devotion destroys the “creep” that stands to tear a weeping DREAM, but a DREAM too strong releases light. The PURPOSE clearly carries a wave of togetherness into their lives; existing. The pathways and cross-ways of a DREAM in love lead to treasured marriage vows. But Sam black and Hailey white are stammered by the times. Even so, people swagger from the shadows to lend a hand and a dying DREAM revives again. Hopeful DREAMS lure MEANING from the submerged self in Only Revolutions.
Conversely, in the prelude of Neal’s final moments with Jack, the DREAM’S petals wilt and collapse. Regretful actions plague Jack as he refuses Neal a ride. Spiraling down to dust, the image of Jack’s DREAM (quintessential cataracts of Neal’s being) slides on cynical spires. The skewer skews a PURPOSE that cascades past an ailing DREAM. Furthermore, amongst Jack’s “gang”, cool conversations transpire selfishness and piercing pessimism. Their words wash the DREAM in wicked waters reflecting on the MEANING’S colours. Aimless lives stagnate within a hollow home; cold torrents of PURPOSE batter a closed door. Jack kicks the scene when surfacing DREAMS are seen circling Detroit city. Still the DREAM comes crashing downward with the sickness of a drunken stupor: “You lost me in Detroit…what right have you to come and disturb my reverie in this pukish can?” (Kerouac 193). Desolation relentlessly shatters the DREAM. The DREAM is an omen on Jack’s soul and his westward PURPOSE smolders to ash. So spin desire round exaltation and blossom forth free MEANING. It is the twisting and swirling of a threadbare DREAM that stirs a maelstrom of broken PURPOSE.
The existence of a DREAM delivers a persisting vision of PURPOSE. Heads wrap themselves around their DREAMS to envelope a MEANING; construe a fluidly flowing course in substance. When DREAMS hold true, the PURPOSE flies across the heavens halo-dancing with a flicker. Perversely, residing as a faithless DREAMER kills the drive with a boiling gun. Descending from the summit, Sam and Hailey become the chasers of the DREAM. Embodied in the essence of the mountain are the adolescents’ sailing quest and vision they praise. Instigation of the DREAM is unleashed with their first steps, releasing a PURPOSE as they lift off the ground. Sam can hear his MEANING’S hurried sighs in the voices: “Love’s the breath a life still lifts when life is finally over with” (Danielewski 56). Since life is love and love the DREAM that a listing breath cries out in death, the DREAM must live in real romances racing through the journey; the PURPOSE of life to death. Years tick-tocked away and miles displaced, Sam and Hailey expose their DREAM. Exhaustion lines their mattress haven discovering: “—Let us go gently. —Yes. —Taking our time? —Dancing on. —How iz forever? —Taking everyone” (Danielewski 184). Gently drifting through the universe, taking careful time beyond the teeter of eternity and dancing with everyone elates their ubiquitous perception. Symbolic of humanitarian endeavours, the DREAM is a prosperous future; peaceful feathers floating. From the path of this DREAM a PURPOSE arises, and with others, waxes in the genuine interpretation of their longings.
Endlessly searching and seeking his father, On the Road’s Neal Cassidy feebly stumbles to the man that isn’t there. Neal’s father suffocates the DREAM in the palm of his hand exploding its aspirations across the air. And as the DREAM evades Neal, it pangs and perishes with the MEANING he so deeply cherishes; his father. Similarly, Jack trips before the DREAM on a wire of a stranger’s wisdom: “…and nobody, just nobody knows what’s going to happen to anybody besides the forlorn rags of growing old” (Kerouac 281). Only old and meekly aging lives pursue a DREAMLESS death. Absent DREAMS that bury themselves in graves beget the rupturing cadence of a melody upon the MEANING’S guidance. Intention implodes on Jack’s weary heart dismantling electric-DREAM defibrillator starts. Still, annihilation revelations take the DREAM beneath Mexican jungle canopies. Sighting local style, Jack inhales the carefree, calm and curing mists that swallow the sense-scape. PURPOSE separates itself from Mexican reality blasting the DREAM from Jack’s sublime subliminal mind. There is no DREAM in the void of its need and impeding MEANING rockets with it to the woman on the moon; her hair the black abyss of space; stars for highlights. Without the one there is no other.
PURPOSE proofs in lines of life relay real MEANING, amidst showers, amidst sunshine, parading from the skies of interpretation on DREAMS. Hardships hinder the DREAM’S through-way, all the way, to be vanquished or conquered. MEANING brings itself to sorrow sweetly singing songs of defeat and disbelief. But overcoming opens windows wide and the PURPOSE turns true. Further-flow, DREAMS that place our spirits high and pour out positive vibrations solidify the MEANING in stone. Yet stones that crumble in the claws of swollen lava exasperate what sends shots of pleasure. Despite these, the simplest answer to the way is in the actualization of dayDREAMING dazes. Touching the DREAM is pure MEANING, and although the MEANING may wade in confusion, it shifts to stay. Pitter-pattering DREAMS that drip drippings push a parting which erodes the PURPOSE slowly. DREAMY disorder breaks our age to shards; glass that either severs the MEANING or strikes it with gleaming beauty shafts of light. The DREAM is a here, it’s a there, it’s an everything and everywhere. It’s an anthem in a vacuum on a hyperstation, chanting the PURPOSE of a DREAMING nation.


BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Danielewski, Mark Z. Only Revolutions. New York: Random House Inc., 2006.
Kerouac, Jack. On the Road. New York: Viking, 1951.
© Copyright 2008 Relayer (relayer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1398402-The-Dream-is-Life-Death-is-Dreaming