*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1399308-The-Gypsy-Moth
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Script/Play · Drama · #1399308
The brutal nature of reality observed through the life of a gypsy moth.
EXT. FOREST EDGE – DAY

Snow is falling over a small forest on a crisp winter day. The trees are bare, and there is very little life to be found on the ground or in the air.

There is however a small group of tiny, white coloured, hair covered eggs attached to a tree at the edge of the forest.

Time begins to speed up and the snow falls faster as day and night merge into one another. 

EXT. FOREST EDGE – DAY

It is now spring and the majority of the trees in the forest are beginning to bud and develop, all apart from the tree that is housing the eggs. The sun if beaming warmly upon the tree’s twisted, damaged frame and the entire scene is something close to picturesque.

The small eggs the tree had harboured for the entire winter begin to twitch and move. Eventually after some struggle, a single egg in the middle of the bunch bursts open and hatches a gypsy moth larvae. The larvae is black and covered in thin, long hairs.

A sudden gust of wind blows the larvae away from the tree and into a near by field that is filled with budding flowers of every colour imaginable.

The larvae crawls to the edge of a large leaf it has landed on and begins threading it around itself, creating a cocoon. 

Time begins to speed up and the spring fuzzes past in a blur.

EXT. FLOWER FIELD- DAY

It is now the summer. The flower field is completely in bloom and the sun is beaming warmly upon the gypsy moth cocoon.

The cocoon begins to gyrate violently and small cracks begin to appear in the now hardened leaf structure.

A tiny, thin leg pokes through the crack and thrashes madly as the moth attempts to break free from its cocoon. Finally, a fully grown gypsy moth emerges from the remnants of the cocoon.

The moths newly formed wings are large and beautiful. It opens them for the first time, and then begins to flap them in preparation for flying.

The gypsy moth flies from its perch toward a small cottage in the distance. It then flies into the home through the window.

INT. LIVING ROOM – DAY

A family are sat around a television, oblivious to the world around them. Only the small boy in the corner that is playing with a toy aeroplane notices the gypsy moth enter through the window.

The moth flies further into the room and perches on the wall near the small boy. 

The small boy stops playing with his toy and walks closer to the moth. He stares at it curiously.

The moth flaps its wings gently as if trying to communicate with the small boy.

The boy wipes his disgustingly snotty nose, scratches his head and splats the gypsy moth without a second thought. He is amused by his own mindless destruction for a very short amount of time before his attention wanders and he goes back to the games he had previously been playing. 

The beautiful moth has been reduced to a bloody mess. It falls to the ground, one wing still twitching slightly. 

     



 


© Copyright 2008 x-flame-x (x-flame-x at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1399308-The-Gypsy-Moth