*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1399888-Introduction-2
by Hail
Rated: E · Prose · Mystery · #1399888
A second possible introduction. Much shorter.
Monsters

The late eighties

  Afterwards the newspapers where in an absolute storm. Everyday they reported on the so called leads, copy cats and links to other similar crimes. “Police have knew leads in Travis case!” the headlines would scream, “Police make fresh appeal for witnesses!”, “Police question suspect!”

  Every day it was the same mess of repeated statements and information. They always spoke of the horror of the event, even though they weren’t there and could never know. Every day they featured a fresh appeal for the killer to turn himself in and return the two children unharmed.

  But soon everything died down; an unchanging situation would never hold the readers attention, so they moved on to other events. A cold war was still raging and as Russia struggled to hold Afghanistan their eyes slipped over to the eastern block. The story found itself relegated to ever smaller and smaller columns until it was lost amidst the other uninteresting go nowhere stories.

  But the children where never found.

  The culprit never apprehended.

  There was one last story, in a small paper during a quiet week. It featured photographs of the small holiday cottage where it had happened, deep in the woods well away from the small town, without even a phone to call for help. The photographs showed the small woodland path that ran down the side of the house.

  Nobody knew it, but this was the way the teenage boy had run that night, soaked with blood and screaming for forgiveness.
© Copyright 2008 Hail (halimando at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1399888-Introduction-2