*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1400723-Patrick-the-Saint-Patricks-Day-snake
by Sariah
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1400723
Patrick, a snake, searches for a way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
         The O'Grady family decided to go on a long overdue family vacation.  Considering their Irish heritage,  Ireland seemed to be the most natural place to visit for a few weeks during the St. Patrick's day holiday.  Reluctantly, the parents allowed their young son, Shawn, to bring along Patrick, his gopher snake with them.
         Patrick was very excited about going along with his young owner.  Always wanting to fit in with the O'Grady family, he thought this trip would be the perfect time to win the parents over.  He would do his best, even if it meant becoming Irish and celebrating the holiday with the family.  Patrick listened intently to the family's conversation on the way there.
         By the time, the family had reached their room, Patrick had decided how to celebrate the upcoming holiday. One evening, while the family slept, Patrick had escaped from his cage and made his way down to the hotel kitchen.  Searching thoroughly through all the cabinets, he discovered what he had been looking for.  Curry!
Knocking it over, Patrick proceeded to roll round and round in the spilled curry .  He quickly returned to his cage.
         The next morning, the family stared at the cage in shock.  Patrick, the gopher snake, was now very, very grassy green.  Shawn burst out in laughter, informing his parents that his snake must be Irish as well.  His parents joined him in laughter and agreed to dress Patrick up for the holiday.
         Excited, Patrick slid back and forth in his cage.  Finally he was an actual part of the family and looked forward to celebrating the holiday with them.  Unfortunately, problems occurred.  Shawn's father had learned that snakes were not allowed in the festivities.  Telling his family the background of St. Patrick's Day, he told them that Patrick would not be looked on too well.  This upset Shawn and Patrick, as well.  Shawn, determined to go on as planned, plotted out a way to share the festivities with Patrick. 
         The next morning, everyone was dressing up for the festival.  Patrick was also being prepared for the day's events.  Shawn carefully put a  tiny, shamrock green hat on Patrick, placing his green body in a emerald green sock.  Quickly, Shawn placed his snake into a pocket in his light jacket, hiding him from view.
         The family departed from their room to go down into the streets for the parade.  Patrick, safely hidden away from sight, eagerly peeked out and watched his first St. Patrick's Day event.  Happy and convinced that he was now a member of the family, Patrick enjoyed his first Irish holiday.
© Copyright 2008 Sariah (syneth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1400723-Patrick-the-Saint-Patricks-Day-snake