*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1402336-Diabetes-Symptoms-and-Treatment
Rated: E · Article · Health · #1402336
Diagnosis and treatment of diabetes prevents complications
According to the American Diabetes Association, diabetes affects an estimated 20.8 million American men, women and children; nearly a third are unaware they have the condition. When blood sugar levels are only slightly elevated, symptoms may be mild or even nonexistent. Diagnosis and treatment are essential to prevent devastating health problems, such as cardiovascular disease, stroke, blindness, kidney failure and severe nerve damage requiring amputation.

Diabetes, also known as diabetes mellitus, results when the pancreas cannot produce any or enough insulin for the body to adequately process glucose, or when the body’s cells resist insulin absorption. Although diabetes may be inherited, poor nutrition and lack of exercise contribute to its cause.

Common symptoms of high blood sugar levels include frequent urination, excessive thirst with increased fluid intake, weakness and fatigue, tingling or numbness in the hands or feet and blurred vision. A doctor will diagnose diabetes through a fasting plasma glucose test (FPT): After an eight-hour fast, a consistent blood sugar level of 126 mg/dl or above (hyperglycemia) indicates diabetes. 

The World Health Organization recognizes three types of diabetes: Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational. Only five- to ten-percent of American diabetics have type 1, which may be controlled only through multiple daily injections of insulin because the pancreas has ceased producing the hormone. Although similar to type 2 in form and treatment, gestational diabetes occurs only during pregnancy and disappears after delivery; however, women with gestational diabetes are predisposed to developing the chronic condition later in life.

In type 2, the most common, the pancreas cannot produce sufficient quantity of insulin because body cells block its absorption, preventing them from processing sugars into energy. Type 2 diabetes responds well to oral medication, such as Glucophage, but may need to be supplemented with insulin injections.

In addition to medications, diabetes management includes following a healthy diet, engaging in regular exercise, quitting smoking, losing weight and checking blood sugar levels often. The most important diabetic supplies are the Glucometer, along with the lancets, lancet pen and test strips that enable a diabetic to self-monitor blood glucose levels. Glucometers and supplies can be purchased at any drug store and are covered by insurances.

A diabetic diet goes beyond good nutrition to counting good carbohydrates and limiting the bad ones to eating small amounts of food throughout the day, rather than three large meals, allowing blood sugar levels to remain consistent. Bad carbohydrates include everything with processed sugars, which immediately overwhelm the body with a surge of glucose. Good carbohydrates are foods that break down more slowly in the body, providing a more time-released dispersal of sugars into the blood. Additionally, diabetics should restrict their salt and fat intake, in order to control blood pressure and cholesterol levels and prevent heart disease.

Managing diabetes also involves learning to recognize and cope with the highs and the lows. Despite one’s best efforts in diabetes care, blood sugar levels may drop dangerously low (hypoglycemia) or spike dangerously high, either of which may result in coma and lead to death. Some of the major symptoms of low blood sugar levels include the sudden onset of shakiness, dizziness, excessive all-over sweating, intense hunger, headache, clumsiness and confusion. Immediate consumption of something sugary, such as a half glass of juice or three pieces of hard candy, takes quick care of a hypoglycemic event. Exercise generally helps to lower blood sugar levels.

More information can be found at the American Diabetes Association’s Website at www.diabetes.org. Visitors to the Site can take an “At Risk Test,” learn about nutrition and find recipes, compare Glucometers and connect with the diabetic community. The ADA also offers a magazine, “Diabetes Forecast.” 

Left unchecked, diabetes is the number one cause of retinal damage and blindness among non-elderly Americans, and it is the leading cause of non-traumatic amputation. Recognizing the symptoms for early diagnosis, appropriate treatment and diligent care are essential in preventing such devastating diabetic complications.
© Copyright 2008 D.F. Mackwood (blabberpen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1402336-Diabetes-Symptoms-and-Treatment