*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404668-Martina
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1404668
Restricted Love
                Martina and I hated each other. I mean that we really hated each other. It had been that way our entire lives. We fought like brother and sister and we did not share an ounce of blood. If we were not fighting, I can guarantee that in the next few minutes, we would be. My brother Bobby always said that we fought like we were married. I never knew what he meant by that.
         We shared all of our classes that semester and we argued through them all. It was lunch time and I had already gone through the line with Teddy Jenkins and Tommy Turner and was on my way to my seat. We just happened to walk by the table where Martina was sitting with her friends. I did not notice the foot that was put in my path to trip me until I was sprawled on the cafeteria floor, my food scattered everywhere.
         The cafeteria roared with laughter. I got to my feet as smoothly as possible and turned to glare at her.
         She looked at me, her face full of laughter. “Oh, Trent! I am so sorry. I did not see you!”
         Instead of replying, I picked up the carton of milk that was sitting on her tray and poured it over her head. Again, the cafeteria roared with laughter. In just a few minutes, there was a massive food fight in the cafeteria. But it only lasted a few minutes, because the principal, Mr. Hemline, broke it up. But not before getting a taste of it himself.
         “Who started this?” he asked.
         Everybody looked at Martina and me. He was so furious that his ears were red. He looked funny to me and I smiled.
         “Is this funny to you, Trent?” he asked me.
         I shook my head. “No.”
         “You two are going to find yourselves in after-school detention for two weeks. Do you hear me? Two weeks,” he said, seeming satisfied with his punishment. “Clean up this mess,” he ordered. “The rest of you get to class.”
         When everyone else had cleared the cafeteria, Martina slapped me across the arm. “Damn, Trent! Thanks a lot! I am going to be grounded for months!”
         “Me? If you hadn’t tripped me, none of this would have happened.”
         “Well, you were rude to pour that milk on my head.”
         “Oh, yeah? Well, you know what pay backs are, Martina,” I said.
         “Shut up, Trent!”
         I grinned. “You really are pissed, aren’t you?”
         “Yeah,” she replied. “I am going to be stuck with you for two weeks. I’m thrilled, Trent.”
         So the next day, Martina and I reported to the library. We were to stay there until five-thirty. The first two days, we just sat there in silence. On the third day, there was a sudden outburst from Martina.
         “How can you just sit there, Trent?” she asked me.
         “There isn’t much else to do,” I told her. “Unless you have got something in mind.”
         She looked at me. “Don’t flatter yourself, Trent.”
         She got up and walked over to the book shelves, skimming through the books. When I looked at her, I noticed something that I had never noticed before. I noticed how beautiful she was. We were always fighting and trying our best to make the other one angry, and I never took the time to notice. I got up and walked closer to her. She must have felt my eyes on her because she looked at me.
         “Is something wrong?”
         “No,” I replied. “Just looking at you.”
         “Why?”
         “No reason. I didn’t notice how pretty you have gotten.”
         She looked at me for a moment. “You’re lying.”
         “I am not. You are very beautiful.” I saw her blush and she looked away. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”
         “You didn’t. I’m just not used to compliments and I never expected it from you.”
         I shrugged. “I am full of surprises.”
         She took a book from the shelf and opened it. I continued to star at her. My eyes scanned her from head to toe. She always wore tight clothes, even when we were younger. Her clothes seemed to fit her better, but maybe it was just me. When she looked at me again, our eyes met and she must have read my thoughts, because I saw her cheeks turn crimson.
         “Stop doing that,” she ordered.
         “Doing what?”
         “Staring at me like that.”
         “Why? Am I making you uncomfortable?”
         “No,” she said. “Just nervous.”
         “I’m sorry.”
         I stepped up to her and took the book out of her hands and laid it on the shelf. She stared at me, her eyes wide. My hands, as if they had a mind of their own, cupped her small face, and my lips found hers. I pulled back for just a second and then pressed my lips to hers again.
         Suddenly, she pulled away and walked away from me. She didn’t look at me. “What are you doing?”
         “I’m not sure,” I said, taking her hand and pulling her back to face me. My voice was so full of passion that I hardly recognized it. I looked at her for a moment. Then, I leaned in and kissed her again. This kiss was more intense.
         Suddenly, Mr. Hemline yelled for us to go home, making us jump and pull away from each other.
         We walked home in silence. We did not know what to say to each other. As usual, everyone was at my house. When we walked in the front door, Martina went straight to the bathroom and I went and sat in the living room.
         “What is wrong with this picture?” Bobby asked.
         I looked at him. “What do you mean?”
         “It has been three days,” he told me. “You two should be at each other’s throats by now.”
         “It won’t last long,” said Jessica, Martina’s sister. “Try not to jinx it, okay?”
         Bobby agreed and went back to reading the newspaper.
         Martina came out of the bathroom and went into the kitchen. My eyes followed her. A second later, I got up and walked into the kitchen. She was standing in front of the back door, looking out the screen door. I leaned on the counter and looked at her.
         “Is something wrong?” I asked her.
         “No. Just thinking.”
         “About today?”
         “Yeah.”
         “Are you mad at me?”
         “No.”
         “I thought maybe you were,” I said.
         “I am not mad, Trent,” she insisted. “My head is still spinning. I can’t get my heart to stop pounding when you’re nearby.”
         “Is that why you won’t look at me?”
         She looked at me. “Yes.”
         I smiled and reached out and took her hand into mine. “When we kissed today, it felt good. It felt right.”
         “Trent . . . ” her voice faded away when I pulled her to me and her lips met mine. She pulled away. “Trent, the boys and my sister are in the other room.”
         “I know.”
         “If they walk in . . . ”
         “Shh . . . ” I quieted her with my lips and I felt her hesitation slip away. When our tongues touched, my heart began to race.
         I heard a gasp and we pulled away from each other. It was Teddy, my best friend.
         “Oh, my, God!” he shouted. “I never thought I would see this.”
         Everyone heard Teddy’s outburst and rushed into the kitchen.
         “Teddy, what is going on?” Bobby asked him.
         “Bobby, a miracle just occurred in your kitchen,” Teddy told him.
         “Teddy,” I said. “Can’t you keep your mouth shut?”
         “I’m sorry, Trent,” he told me. “I thought you two hated each other.”
         “Things changed,” Martina said, taking my hand into hers. I looked at our clenched hands and then swung my eyes toward Bobby to see his reaction.
         He and Jessica looked at each other and then they looked at us.
         “How did this happen?” Jessica asked us.
         “We are still trying to figure that out, Jessica,” Martina told her.
         She stared at us. “Oh,” she said. “Well, when you figure it out, let us know. We are all a little curious. Come on, Men.”
         They went back into the living room. I could hear them still talking about us. Martina and I looked at each other.
         “I’m a little curious, too,” I told her. “How did this happen?”
         She shook her head, but stared back into my eyes. “I don’t know, Trent.”
         I pulled her close to me again and brought my lips to hers. My heart began to pound again. I took her hand and placed it on my chest. “Feel this,” I told her.
         She stared at her hand on my chest and then her eyes met mine. “Feels like a drum.”
         We stared for the longest moment and suddenly, I wanted her. I took her hand into mine and we snuck up the stairs and went to my bedroom. I didn’t turn on the light. Everything happened so fast. In just a few minutes, we were naked and in bed, making love for the first time. Tears fell from her eyes and she squeezed my shoulders tightly when I entered her. I remained still until she approved continuing. She cried out several times, a few times I had to smother them with my lips, for fear that they would hear us.
         We reached our climax simultaneously and I let out a low growl. When it was over, I rolled over onto my back and took a deep breath. She rolled onto her side and rested her head on my chest. We fell asleep before we said anything.
         When I woke up the next morning, Martina was sound asleep so I got out of bed as quietly as I could and went to the bathroom. Afterward, I went downstairs to get something to drink. Bobby and Jessica were in the kitchen when I walked in. I froze when they looked at me.
         “Where have you been?” Bobby asked me.
         “Where’s my sister?” Jessica asked before I could respond.
         I looked at them for a moment, wide eyed. I did not know what to say.
         “Well?” They demanded.
         “She is in my room,” I said, quickly. They stared at me.
         “What?” Bobby said.
         “She’s where?” Jessica demanded.
         “My room,” I repeated, my voice low. Jessica turned and marched up the stairs. “Jessica, wait . . . ”
         I started after he, but Bobby stopped me.
         “Are you sleeping with her?” he asked me. I looked at my feet. “Answer me.”
         I nodded. “Yeah. But so what?”
         “So what?” he repeated. “You’re sixteen years old. You do not want to mess up your life with an unwanted baby.”
         “We were careful, Bobby,” I lied.
         “I hope you were, Trent,” he said. “I hope you’re smarter than you act sometimes.”
         “You’re not my mother, Jessica,” I heard Martina say as they were coming down the steps.
         “Maybe not,” Jessica replied, “but I’m the best you have got right now.”
         Martina’s mother was an alcoholic. She went to the meetings, but when she got out she went to the bar. When she came home, she passed out wherever she felt like it.
         Jessica shoved Martina toward the front door. Martina looked at me and there were tears in her eyes. I started toward her, but Bobby grabbed my arm.
         “Don’t you dare,” he told me.
         I jerked my arm from his grip. “I’ve got to talk to her, Bobby. Just for a minute.”
         He looked at Jessica and then he looked at me. “Five minutes.”
         I took Martina’s hand and we walked out onto the front porch.
         “I’m so sorry,” she said.
         “Shh,” I said, taking her into my arms and kissing her forehead. “It’s not your fault,” I told her. “It’s mine. We’ll work it out.”
         “How?”
         “I don’t know,” I said. “I think I’m in love with you.”
         She pulled back and looked at me. “Really?”
         I smiled. “Yeah,” I said and pulled her into my arms just ask Jessica came out of the house.
         “Let’s go, Martina,” Jessica said.
         “Just a second,” Martina told her.
         “Now,” said Jessica and she grabbed Martina’s wrist and pulled her away from me.
         They got into Jessica’s car and drove away. I stood there for a moment and then I went inside. I stopped in the kitchen doorway and glared at Bobby.
         “I don’t believe you, Bobby.”
         “Trent, I’m sorry,” he said. “It’s for your own good.”
         “Your own good, you mean. You cannot keep me from her.”
         “I will,” he said. “For a while anyway.”          
         “How long is a while?”
         “Until I say so,” he said. “You’re young, Trent,” he told me. “You don’t want to blow it on one stupid mistake.”
         “Whatever,” I said.
         I went inside and got something to eat. I spent most of the day in my room or on the internet. Chatrooms saved my life. I was trying to keep busy, to keep my mind off Martina, but nothing was working. My mind kept racing back to what had happened the night before.
         When the sun went down, I went down stairs and turned on the television. Bobby came in with Teddy and Adam. When Jessica came through the door, I sat up, expected to see Martina, but there was nothing. I sat back with a sigh, disappointed.
         “Hey, Trent,” Teddy greeted me.
         “What is wrong with you?” Adam asked when I didn’t respond.
         “Nothing,” I told him. “I’m fine.”
         I shut the television off and went back upstairs to my room. I was not in the best mood for company. I sat on my bed for a few minutes. I quickly changed my clothes and climbed out my bedroom window. I quickly walked the two blocks to Martina’s house and knocked on the door. Martina opened the door. I thought she looked cute in her sweat pants and tank top.
         She smiled at me. “What are you doing? You really shouldn’t be here.”
         “I know,” I said. “I came to see you?”
         “You snuck out?”
         I nodded. “I climbed out my window.”
         She laughed.
         “What?” I said. “I had to.”
         “You better hope Bobby doesn’t find out,” she told me.
         “Oh, he will,” I replied. “Are you going to let me in?”
         “Maybe.”
         I stepped inside and took her into my arms. “I’ve missed you,” I told her.
         She giggled. “It has only been a couple of hours.”
         “That is long enough.”
         She took my hand and let me into the living room. We sat on the couch.
         “I can’t believe Bobby and Jessica,” she said. “Like they have never had sex before.”
         I laughed. “I know they have,” I said.
         She looked at me. “With each other?”
         I nodded. “I’ve heard it.”
         “Yuck,” she said.
         I laughed again. “I know.”
         “They’re being so selfish,” she told me, kissing me.
         I pulled her toward me and hugged her. When she pulled away, I stared at her. “You are so beautiful.”
         She looked at me for a moment. “So are you.”
         I gave her a strange look. “Men aren’t beautiful.”
         “You are.”
         I smiled. “I’m glad I please you.”
         We kissed. Our kisses became intense. She took my hand and led me back the hallway to her bedroom. We undressed each other and climbed into her bed. We made love like it was the first time.
         A couple of hours later, I went home and snuck back through my window. Bobby was so occupied with our friends that he didn’t even notice that I was gone. That was how it went for the next couple of weeks. We would sneak out and meet somewhere.
         It was two o’clock in the morning and something had woke me up. I got out of bed and went downstairs. I looked around and, after making sure our house was secure, I walked out onto the front porch. The air had a smokey look to it and I could smell the smoke. When I looked in the direction of Martina and Jessica’s house, I could see the smoke.
         “Trent, it’s two in the morning,” Bobby groaned behind me. “What are you doing out here?”
         I looked at him. “There’s a fire,” I told him.
          I went back up to my room and put my shoes on. Bobby did the same and then he followed me up the road toward the fire. When we rounded the corner that led to Martina’s house, I felt my heart stop and then speed up again. The house was on fire! There were two fire trucks, several police cars, and an ambulance. I saw Jessica standing off to the side and I ran to her.
         “Jess, where’s your sister?” I asked her.
         “She’s still in there, Trent,” she replied. “Going back in is too dangerous for them”
         “What?”
         I stared toward the house, but Bobby grabbed my arms. “Trent, let them handle it.”
         “Bobby, Martina’s in there,” I cried, trying to get free.
         “I know,” he said. “They will find her.”
         A second later, the roof caved in. I could hear myself scream for Martina and I tried harder to get free. Bobby held me tighter and I heard Jessica scream. A sharp pain shot through my chest at that moment, feeling like a hundred needles, and I clutched my chest and sunk to the ground. Jessica knelt down beside me and put her arms around my neck, holding me to her.
         She was gone, I thought. I will never see Martina again. The three of us walked back to my house. I sat in the living room with the lights off, while Jessica and Bobby went into the kitchen. I could hear them talking. I sat there, rocking back and fourth, my mind racing.
         This cannot be happening, I thought. I am dreaming and soon I will wake up. Maybe if I count to ten, I will wake up. I sat up and held my head in my hands and closed my eyes. I began to count to myself in a small voice.
         “One, two, three . . . ”
         “Trent,” I heard Bobby say, but I ignored him.
         “Four, five, six . . . ”
         “Trent,” Bobby repeated, thinking that I did not hear him.
         “Seven, eight, nine . . . ”
         “Trent?” It was Jessica.
         “Ten.” I opened my eyes. It didn’t work! Again, I thought.
         Bobby grabbed my shoulders and shook me. “Trent!”
         I continued to ignore him. Martina is not dead, but I tried to convince myself. She’s home, or out somewhere. She cannot be gone. Not her.
         “Trent, answer us,” Jessica pleaded.
         “Let’s get him to bed,” Bobby said. “Maybe some rest will help.”
         Jessica nodded and helped Bobby get me upstairs to my bedroom. I did not sleep though.  I tossed and turned all night. When I got up the next morning, my body ached from the lack of sleep. It was six o’clock when I went downstairs and made breakfast. Bobby was up sometime before nine and went to get the newspaper, something he read daily. Jessica was asleep on the sofabed.
         Jessica was awake by the time Bobby came back and he sat at the kitchen table, reading the paper and eating breakfast between.
         My house felt like a funeral home. It was that quiet. The phone rang, causing me to jump. I went into the living room and answered it.
         “Hello?”
         It was Teddy. “Is that you, Trent?”
         “Yeah.”
         “Hey, I don’t know if you know, but they found Martina. She’s alive.”
         My heart skipped a beat. “What?”
         “Martina is alive,” he repeated.
         “Are you sure?” I asked him. “Teddy, if this is one of your pranks . . . ”
         “It’s not,” he promised. “She is at the hospital. She has got a broken leg and smoke inhalation, but she is okay.”
         “Okay. Thank you, Teddy.” I hung the phone up. “She’s alive!”
         Jessica and Bobby came in from the kitchen.
         “What?” Bobby said.
         “Teddy just said that Martina was at the hospital. She’s alive.”
         When I saw Martina, I could not stop the tears from running down my cheeks. I was so happy to see her smile at me. I pulled her into my arms and held her close, convincing myself that she was real.
         “We thought you were . . . ”
         “I know,” she said when I pulled back, “but I am fine.”
         “How did you get out?” Jessica asked, hugging her sister.
         “I don’t know,” Martina replied. “I felt like they were carrying me or something. The next thing I remember I was in the backyard. Some firefighters found me.”
         “It’s a miracle,” Bobby said, hugging Martina as well.
         “I am so glad you’re all right,” Jessica told her.
         “We all are,” Bobby said, looking at me.
         I was glowing.
         Bobby and Jessica never said anything about Martina and me seeing each other after that. They saw what it did to me when I thought I had lost her. I guess that seeing it once was enough.
         A week later, after they released Martina from the hospital, we were at my house, sitting on the couch, watching the guys play Halo on the x-box. Martina cuddled up to me.
         “I thank God every day for saving you,” I told her. “I really do believe that he was the one that carried you out.”
         “Maybe.”
         “And to think I almost lost you . . . ”
         “But you didn’t, Trent. I’m here and I’m no going anywhere. There is nowhere else I would rather be.”
         “I just can’t shake that feeling,” I told her. “I...”
         “Stop it, Trent,” she said. “Please.”
         “I’m sorry,” I said and hugged her to me. “I love you.”
         “I love you, too.”
         We did not talk about that day anymore.
         Martina and Jessica moved into our parents room. They stayed with us until their house was fixed up.
         I have to pray to God every day that he gives me another day with her.   


 
         
          

         
         
         
© Copyright 2008 Carol Lynn (carollynn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1404668-Martina