*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405105-PC-SP-SS
by Alaina
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1405105
15 year old Olivia lives with her cruel step-father and her naive mother
Part One
My heart pounded in my chest, my throat was burning, ignited by my frantic gasps for air. I clenched my teeth, as the side of my face throbbed with pain, slowly ebbing away. I took a deep breath, and slowly let it out I watched my breath spiral into the star plagued night.
I listened to the wet sand-like gravel crunch beneath my sneakers. I sprinted across the field of iced over snow. My feet occasionally crashed through the hard ice and into the powdered snow underneath. The ice felt like shards of glass scrapping against my ankles as I hurriedly pulled my feet out of the mini crevasses.
Finally, I stepped onto the semi-dry wood and leaned on the freezing metal pole, trying to catch my breath. The moon glistened on the silver chain links. A gentle breeze crept through the night. The corners of my eyes watered as I silently grabbed the swings chains and sat down on the black rubber seat.
My eyes watered even more, warm tears rolled down my cheeks. My heart slowed to a heavy beat. I rested my forehead against the chains and closed my eyes. My legs and hands trembled, as I wrapped the wool shawl around my shoulders, soon drifting off into the past.
Vibrant green grass surrounded the two swings. Her strawberry blonde hair was neatly pulled back into a pony tail and the scent of sunscreen hung in the humid summer air. Her father held onto her hand, he wiped his forehead with his free hand. Suddenly she dashed to the swings and struggled to the seat. She squealed delighted as her father picked her up and swung her around, carefully seating her.
She giggled as he gave her a big push and then hopped onto the swing next to her. Leaning back she looked up at the almost cloudless sky. She stuck her hand out and clung to her fathers protective hand as we swung back and forth…
My glacial blue eyes flashed open. I wiped away my tears with my sleeve and sniffled. I gazed at the empty swing, the wind callously thrashing it back and forth. The half rusted chains creaked as I bolted into the howling wind. I anxiously prodded my coat pockets for my wallet until I came upon it.
My heart pulverized my chest as I raced to the General Store, against the torrential downpour. The sleet stung my face as the rain seeped through my black windbreaker. I clenched the three dollars in my shivering hand. The faint white glow of a street light became blurred as I blinked my long eyelashes, water dripped off my eyelashes. I crashed into the automated doors. I banged on the glass door with my fists as the generator roared to life. Fluorescent lights slowly flickered to life, freezers hummed quietly, and the doors threw themselves open, pushing me to the linoleum floor.
I quickly pried myself from the floor and shuffled to the third aisle. Impulsively I snatched a loaf of white wonder bread and squeaked my way to the refrigerators. My eyes felt heavy as I tiredly grabbed a jug of whole milk, wandering to the checkout. About to collapse I effortlessly relinquished the loaf of bread and chilled milk.
Overwhelming perfume pricked the tip of my nose. I squinted, my nose tingled and I sneezed. The cashier’s wrinkled hands scanned the light loaf of bread, her hands shook as she struggled to heave the jug of milk over the blinking scanner. A loud ‘bleep’ echoed through the nearly abandoned store. Suddenly there was a light tap on my shoulder. “Olivia?” I spun around, water spraying everything around me. “Mike!” A wide smile spread across my face as Mike and I embraced each other in a friendly hug. “Paper or plastic?” The clerk’s monotone voice scratched against the walls.
“Plastic please.” Mike giggled, “Your soaking wet, why did you go outside?” The clerk rasped. “$4.75” I let go of Mike’s warm body and shivered, handing the clerk 4 dollars and 75 cents.
“Um, I really don’t know.” I felt my insides twist with disgust as I lied to my best friend in the whole world. Mike chirped playfully, glancing at my swollen cheek. “Hey, wanna come over my place for dinner? My moms making Sheppard’s Pie, your favorite. Oh, what’s with your cheek? Looks like someone hit you.” I starred at the floor, grabbing the brown plastic bag. “It’s nothing. . .” I mumbled slowly walking away. Mike turned around to face his mother and shrugged. The auto-matic doors clicked open, and I ran at the speed of light, neglecting the sharp pangs of ice that slammed into my face.
I gasped, grimacing at the overflowed bridge. Twisting the bag and tying it shut, I jumped into the murky water. A bitter wave of shock washed over me. I kicked my legs, a blinding flash of lightning split the sky, and illuminated the grey world around me. My feet finally found solid land, I hastily sprinted up the small hill. A huge evergreen tree swayed violently from side to side. I watched in disbelief as the thick tree snapped in half, crashing to the pavement.
The malevolent wind drowned my weak scream. Blinded by the persistent rain I staggered over the fallen tree. It’s branches clawed at my legs, tearing through my jeans. I stumbled upon my darkened house. I quietly climbed over the wooden railing and slipped out of my drenched sneakers, tossing them under the porch table. I took the milk and bread out of the bag and rested them on the glass table, as I picked up my sneakers and dropped them in the bag, yet again tossing them under the table, like a dirt rag.
Pushing the door open I grabbed the milk and bread worriedly rushing to the kitchen. I jerked open the silver refrigerator and shoved the milk on the first rack. I ran back to the island and dropped the fresh bread on it.
I zipped to the sink and leaned my head over it. I twisted my hair, wringing it like an over-used dish towel. I yawned while I slowly dragged myself across the hall, and up the oak stairs. I paused in the pitch black hallway, gazing at my parents room. I stood there for a moment, shivering uncontrollably, like the way the chandelier shakes when a freighter train hurdles by. The floor creaked as I sluggishly turned around.
Stepping into my room was like reaching a sanctuary in the middle of a war zone. I grabbed a towel and dried the rest of my hair. I shrugged out of my sopping wet clothes and changed into my dry, silky pajamas. My exhausted legs gave out, and I collapsed, falling onto my plush bed. I snuggled into my fluffed pillows and fell asleep.
© Copyright 2008 Alaina (babylolita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405105-PC-SP-SS