*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405660-A-45-second-Deja-vu
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1405660
A unique and bizarre Deja vu experience.
Most of us have experienced the phenomenon referred to as Deja vu. The dictionary describes it simply as: a feeling of having been in a place or experienced something before.
Many skeptics point out that such experiences occur because we have been there, or experienced the same conditions previously in time, being the creatures of habit most human beings are, and going through repetitive cycles, and going through repetitive cycles. Yes, I know, just seeing if you were paying attention.
Now this seems to make perfectly logical sense, in situations where you have been in a certain place before, or engaged in an activity you've done many times. But what is the explanation for a Deja vu experience where you have never been before, nor had any conscious consideration of, or an activity you've never experienced.
I'm sure someone could come up with an explanation, but I don't know how it could explain this.

In early 1986 I transferred from one job to another. As a natural resources officer in the state of Florida, I've had the pleasure of seeing much of this state's natural beauty before the bulldozers got to it. When I transferred to the Southwest coast for my new assignment, I had some idea of what my objectives would be as the only law enforcement officer for one of the state's newest coastal land acquisition's, and the natural and cultural resources it would be my job to protect. I didn't fully appreciate however the enormity of the position, being responsible for the protection of some 50,000 acres of coastal savanna and mangrove swamps, littered with cultural sites of the once great indigenous American natives known as the Calusa Indians.
One of the main cultural sites I would be responsible for was known as Big Mound Key. An extremely unique shell mound rising some 22 feet above the surrounding mangrove islands. When viewed from the air it appears as an effigy mound, meaning for those unfamiliar with the term, that it has a distinct shape, this one appearing as a large headless spider.
My first trip to the site gave me a true insight into the term, desolate swamp. Over nine miles as the crow flies from the nearest paved road, and another four miles to the nearest phone, it was pretty isolated. Following aerial photographs to locate the site, I arrived in the large creek fed saltwater basin known as Boggus Hole. Being able to identify the area due to the extended earthwork burial ridge surrounding the shallow body of water, it was my next task to reach the Big Mound temple site. After a trudging three quarter mile jaunt through a boggy mangrove swamp I finally reached my goal.
As the rise is covered in dense tropical vegetation, I began making my way slowly from the lower reaches of the Western temple mound complex to the top of the earthworks. It's stepped sides reminding me of the step pyramid in Egypt, but covered in an assortment of cacti and other hazardous plant flora, swarming with biting deer flies and a visible black cloud of Florida's state bird, the mosquito.
Ascending to the top of the first mound I couldn't help but notice the abundance of key lime and gumbo limbo trees, the former legend held, had been planted by the infamous pirate Jose Gaspar and his minion cutthroats, for use in water store aboard ship, to keep the water potable for long durations at sea.
Enjoying the raw natural beauty of this wilderness for several moments, I began making my way through the brush to the Eastern Temple Mound.
Beginning the ascent I started to have that weird feeling, and in most of my experiences with Deja vu, they only last at best for a couple of seconds. Not this time.
With each step I took the hair on the back of my neck began to rise, and that whole body tingling sensation that usually accompanies the feeling, grew more intense. I reached the top of the mound to look down into a ravine, cut through the middle of the massive earthwork. I have been here before, my thoughts kept telling me as the intensity of the experience grew, knowing that such was not the case.
Descending into the 20 foot deep ravine, I knew what was coming even as I continued on. I knew that at the bottom of the ravine, I would turn around to see a small two foot by two foot hole, and in it would be a beaten up wooden chest full of gold. Please don't ask me how I knew this, because I have no explanation.
Reaching the depths of the ravine, just as I knew I would, I turned around to see the hole I knew would be there. Yes, it was
there. To bad, the chest full of gold wasn't. Shortly thereafter the
feeling dissipated.
I had never, never, gone through something like that before, and I'm not really sure I'd want to do it again. To say it was unnerving, would be to put it lightly.
Later that day as I reported back to the reserve office, I passed the story on to my new boss.
He related to me that the ravine I was in, had been a destruction of the site, when unscrupulous treasure hunters had managed to get a bulldozer out to the mound some years before, and had plowed through the temple mound in search of buried treasure.
Now the hair on the back of my neck was standing straight out!
Don't let someone tell you, there's no such thing as Deja vu.
© Copyright 2008 cvaughnb (cvaughnb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405660-A-45-second-Deja-vu