*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407858-Grandpop-and-the-Bear
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1407858
This story is dedicated to my dad William Andrew Gibbins
 

                           
          This story is dedicated to my father, who would tell this story he had made up one night.  When he got old, he never remembered it. But I told it to my three daughters, who sometimes would insist I tell it over again, before they would fall to sleep. So  this is dedicated to best father and story teller I knew as a kid, William Andrew Gibbins, and to all grandfathers and grandmothers , mothers and fathers everywhere.                   

                                                        “Grand Pop and the Bear”
                                                                by William Andrew Gibbins



  Visits to Grand Mom’s and Grand Pop’s were always exciting. There was no telling what would happen when we visited. I liked the good food and the treats Grand Mom would have for us. She said that we were special. And they would take us places and do things that made us happy. But we loved just being with them. Mom and Dad said that Grand Mom and Grand Pop were the best and we really loved when Grand Pop took us fishing. He taught us how to fish and always had a good story to tell. But this time we were the story!

  It was early and the sun wasn't up yet. Just like the times before, we had Grand Pop’s big flashlight and one of us would hold it while the other would help Grand Pop grab the worms. Great big worms! They were lying on the ground and we would sneak up on them. Then grab them before they ran back in the hole. That's what Grand Pop said anyway. We didn't see any legs but they sure were fast!

  The sun would be coming up soon because we could see the outline of the trees, while the sky was getting lighter. We were starting to get excited now.

  "Hurry up Grand Pop; we have lots of worms." We cried out.
  But he would always reply, "The fish aren't going anywhere are they?" And we both would say at the same time, "Grand Pop!" And then laugh.

  Grand mom kept telling us to eat our breakfast as we squirmed in our chairs in a hurry to go. Grand Mom had a big, big wooden spoon ready at all times. But we knew she wouldn't use it. Maybe!

  Our grand Pop had a great big car that you could almost live in! We couldn't even touch the back of the front seat or the floor. Even with all the food and drinks there. All we could say was.

  "Hurry Grand Pop" We yelled, and he would say.

  "The fish aren't going anywhere are they?"

  But we knew that when we got there Grand Pop would tell us to be very quiet because the fish would hear us and get scared. And if he didn't bring some fish home to Grand mom, he would get into trouble!

  It was a great big lake, and there was never anyone else fishing but us. Grand Pop said it was a secret spot that no one else knew about. And grand pop knew everything!

  The little dirt road went all the way right to the lake. And all we had to do was walk straight down the hill
past the bushes and trees and to the spot on the bank and start fishing. The sun was up and we carried
the fishing poles and bait. But Grand Pop said,

  “Leave the food and sodas in the car".

  We didn't care because we wanted to fish! And in no time at all we were all lined up in a row with our poles. Grand Pop said we looked like peas in a pod. In no time at all we were catching fish. We caught big fat sunfish, perch, and catfish. That's what Grand Pop said that they were. We would reel them in after grand pop helped us a little.

  Later on it was getting quiet, especially because that is what Grand Pop told us to do while because the fish had stopped biting. And then we heard a noise!

  "Grand Pop, what was that!" We asked

  "Be quiet it's nothing". Grand Pop kept on fishing.

  After a little longer we heard it again. This time it was closer too. And the bushes made a noise up on the hill.

  Crackle, crackle, crunch, crunch, went the sound of the bushes behind us.

  "Grand Pop,” we whispered. What was that?"

  But Grand Pop never even looked our way. He just said "shhhhhhhhh, It’s probably a rabbit.”

  We looked at each other and I "m not sure who's eyes were the biggest. But just when we were convinced that Grand Pop was right we heard it again!

  Crackle, crunch, crackle, crunch, crunch! “Grand Pop, there it goes again!”

  This time Grand Pop turned around a bit to see what it was and again told us;

  "Sshhhhhhhhh.” But then he said, "Be very quiet!"

  Before he could finish saying that; the noise got even louder and closer. There were branches breaking and bushes busting and we were scared.

  "Grand Pop! What is it"? We grabbed as close to Grand Pop as we could.

  "It sounds like it’s up by the car, Grand Pop!"

  This time Grand Pop scooped us closer and with each one of us in one big  arm, he whispered.

  "Don’t be scared and don't make a sound"

  " What is it Grand Pop?" We whispered.

  But before we could ask again or Grand Pop could answer we saw it. A great big bear! It was black and seemed like a giant compared to Grand Pop.

  Grand Pop grabbed us tighter and with a smile, said, "Now really! Don't make any sound at all and let’s see what he does.”

  Grand Pop was big and brave, so we felt safe now because Grand Pop probably could beat up that big old bear!

  "Grand Pop," we whispered "he’s looking in the car." We smiled, but then we remembered!

  "Grand Pop, he smells our lunch!"

  And sure enough his big old head was sticking right through the back window of Grand Pop’s car. And now instead of being scared we had to hold back from laughing loud. That big bear looked so silly trying to climb in the window and eat at the same time!

  Grand Pop stopped smiling, and for a minute we thought Grand Pop was going to go right up to that bear and give him a piece of his mind. But instead Grand Pop said to us that we should move away further along the bank on the lake.

By now the big crazy bear was trying to fit into the front seat to see what Grand Pop had up there too!

  "Look Grand Pop, he looks like he's trying to drive the car!" We laughed. But it was not a joking matter to Grand Pop. And just about the time we laughed it happened!

  Grand pPop yelled “Look out! Get out of the way!” And then Grand Pop dragged us away from in front of the path of his car, just as that dumb bear started rolling down the hill. The bear was howling, and we were hollering while the bear waved his big paws trying to get out of the car all at once. He looked like he was steering the car!

  "Grand Pop, the bear is driving our car."

  Grand Pop grabbed us just in time, as that bear drove past, waving his paws and yelping for help, right into the lake!

  We all laughed at the sight of the silly bear all dripping wet and moaning as he crawled out the window and waddled ashore. His little ears were laid down flat and he looked down at the ground when Grandpa yelled at him.
  "Go away you big silly bear" He Yelled.
  "Bad bear" we scolded.

  Fortunately the car still started and Grand Pop backed it up onto the path again. Grand Pop started laughing too. He looked at us and said.
 
  "No one will believe this story!" We laughed all the way home and Grand Pop made jokes about the bear.

Boy what a mess we had to clean up when we got back.

And every time we would come back over to Grand Pop and Grand Mom's house, we would ask...

“Grand pop! Tell us the story about the Bear."



  S A Gibbins    WC 1342




                                 
 
© Copyright 2008 BEAR (grzzbrdover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407858-Grandpop-and-the-Bear