*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407872-Something-Rotten-In-Denmark
by Bailey
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #1407872
Fast Fiction Entry That 'Just waking up' feeling is only the beginning...
Evan was just waking up when he realized that something was off.
Something isn't right here, he thought to himself. He hadn't even opened his eyes, and yet he knew. The sounds of the room were off. This isn't my room! he thought with some alarm.
Slowly his eyes opened.
Looking around he confirmed what he already knew. The light was different for one. And the pictures on the walls were completely different. Something an older person would have.
The smells were different too. He could smell the pleasant smell of baking, which almost never occurred in his house. But mixed in with that there was another smell altogether. A vaguely familiar, although unpleasant, smell. If it wasn't for the baking he could probably place it.
No matter, he thought. I better figure out where I am.
I remember being outside enjoying the sunshine and blue skies. The warm summer breeze was blowing on my face and I was dozing on the blanket in my yard. I have some faint idea of being jostled into a car and feeling the bumps knock me around a bit. Then nothing.
Until now. What the heck is that smell???

Hearing the door creak open and light fill the room, Evan tried to call out.
"Ssshh darling!" was the only reply he heard.
Finally! he thought. Something I recognize! I know that voice!
As a smiling friendly face appeared over him, Evan calmed down again, nestling into the bed. "Hi Baby! I hope you slept well. We came to visit with your Aunt and Uncle for the afternoon!"
As Evan's mother brought out the baby powder and new, clean diaper, he smiled and giggled. I KNEW I recognized that smell!
© Copyright 2008 Bailey (baileyboy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1407872-Something-Rotten-In-Denmark