*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409784-Dark-Sun-Rising-Part-2
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1409784
Part 2 to the first story. Hope you enjoy. Takes a long time to type. XD
Gallerand, Captain of the Guard for the Malgans;

         "Before the unfortunate slave slaughter, we had more issues; Internal conflict with the traders and the Marauding Raiders, a group of pirates that sailed off the south shore of Bellaforge. They were holding traders, and selling them off for a ransom. No one could get food or supplies in. People started to leave the towns, and those that didn’t grew ill. We had to search for the ill, while others were sent to protect a newly acquired outpost. As captain, I was sent to the camp to command the guards who had just arrived. Leaving Bellaforge would be hard for me emotionally. I had never left my home-town, and never sought the need to. These people needed me, but war called, I was needed elsewhere. Goodbye Bellaforge! I write to you, my last diary entry in this town before the outpost."

         These diary clippings were found in a tin box underneath the bed of Gallerand’s wife. He wrote to her of the protection, the danger, and other on goings in the outpost. The last letter dated back three weeks before… Well, read on.

My dear Annaloise,
         My eyes have seen more death in one day than I have seen in one year. The fallen are my own soldiers. Blood, disease and crows swarm the outpost. They feed off the sickly bodies, ripping off the yellow flesh. The birds stay at a body for an hour or so, before a coyote or fox comes along and steals the meat. Rats and mice try and get into the outpost, where we keep the sick and dying, in the medicine bay. Blood is covered on the healers and my own two hands. Bodies, each day, are carried off to the burning pits. We cannot burry all the people. It is the sad truth, but these bodies have kept us, the living, alive in this brutally cold winter.
         We can see the enemies’ breath just on the edge of the forest line while the trees sway eerily. We must prepare for more blood and dirt. Please, keep the children safe and warm. Keep the food clean, and read to them from the holy books. We can only hope good comes from all of this. Good night sweet Anna. I hope I will receive more ink and paper for more letters. Pray for more and hold them tight. Goodbye.

                             Your love, Gallerand

My sweet Anna,
         I have found more paper, and the pen is crisp, and the ink dark. We have received new supplies! But now I write to you with haste as we all run about. We have just won a battle! Not defended but actually slaughtered the forces of the attack. We had gotten news that an attack force in two days time will arrive. We must prepare for this new attack, though while looking back at the dead from this new won battle, the faces and skin look familiar.
         The faces of the ‘new recruits’ seem strange, as if not human at all. They are stern and well organized. They must be beating the new recruits now. It was strange charging into battle with these men, only because the enemy was waving, as if surrendering to our power. But the general told us to fight on, and that it was a trick. The general must be new, as I haven’t ever heard his name, but he is good. He knows how to battle against these Cretan warriors.
         Keep reading to the children, and promise them a brighter future; I shall return soon. With this success and more soldiers on the way, we shall hold this land. Soon there will be no need for a captain, and I will be sent home. Though, I do hope they train these new recruits in the arts of the blade. They aren’t good, but that is another story. I must go and prepare. There is much to do and more traders are coming in. I love you my sweet, I shall write to you soon.
                   
                   Your love, Gerry

Anna,
         I write to you in fear. Soldiers, good ones, are vanishing; Ones who knew how to battle. They had strange thoughts. They told me that these new soldiers were not from this land, and that they had seen these men use magic. They had seen them create scrolls and potions. They said the general was evil, and claimed he was a vampire. His motions, they said, were too fluid for his old age. They were heretics in the eyes of me and everyone here. They didn’t know why the dead bodies were burned immediately, though some claimed they saw their friends, cousins, and brothers. I fear for my life Anna. Keep the children close. Read to them the Holy sayings and keep the knowledge flowing. I hope to escape this torture soon. The nights here are scary without you. I need someone to hold. Sleep is now impossible with all these thoughts racing through my head.
         I hear footsteps outside my tent; all the groans and moans of the dead rising. The outpost is no longer safe for me. I can feel my bones aching as I wait. I need to cry, but I can’t. To cry would be the end of our moral. To let the soldiers know that their captain is afraid would be devastating. I must go; my tears keep staining this paper. Like I said, keep the children warm and safe. Tell them their father will be home soon. I shall come with stories my love. But until then, be safe. Read up on the war for me. I shall hold you soon,
                   Your love forever, Gellerand

         This was the last of many letters. The three we gave you were in order, from first, middle and last. Gallerand was at the outpost for five weeks, and wrote every day. This last letter reached Anna, but not all came true. Read on about the truth.
© Copyright 2008 Rimbo the Clown (michaelgraeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409784-Dark-Sun-Rising-Part-2