*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1411310-The-Night-of-The-Scarlet-Maiden-part-1
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1411310
A young 18th century girl joins a pirate crew.
The Night of The Scarlet Maiden
By Britanie Sinard

Part I
Dusk
Vera tried to force her eyes shut against the gunshots and drunken men outside her window and in the tavern below. The cold rain beat against the upstairs tavern window and Vera knew it was going to be a long night.
Finally she surrendered and walked over to the small window. She watched the rain as it gracefully slid down the windowpane and over her own reflection. She gazed into her own blue eyes and searched her tanned face for something worthwhile. In her dark sun kissed hair and bright blue eyes, she saw a plain girl of no more than twelve; she saw nothing. She saw lips that had only sad stories to tell and eyes that had seen no adventure.
Behind herself Vera could see the small apartment that she shared with her mother. It was scantly furnished with only two small hay beds next to the dilapidated fireplace. In the corner was Vera’s library, a stack of five books that Vera had collected. Although most people on the island could not read, Vera had found a ragged reading textbook lying in the street when she was seven years old. From this book, now her most prized possession, Vera had taught herself to read and from then on read anything she could get her hands on. It was true that books were hard to come by in Libertatia but occasionally Vera would find one abandoned in a gutter or lying on the docks where it had likely fallen from a ship.
Beyond herself Vera could see the waves violently crashing against the shore and less than respectable ships thrashing in the harbor. If only she could take one of those ships and sail to distant lands. She would sail the high seas in search of a better life and when she returned her mother and she would live like kings. Then her poor mother would never have to work again.
Vera’s mother worked in the tavern below their small residence. She served rum to squalid men who had little manners and even less respect for women. Vera couldn’t stand the type of rubbish that would often wander in off the streets; they were dirty in every sense of the word. The only things that interested them were rum, women, and any form of dishonesty they could contrive. Vera’s own father had been one of those men; he was a pirate. Despite her mother constantly telling her of her love for him, Vera could never understand how anyone could love so awful a person.
Vera wanted desperately to be a proper young lady, as she had often read about, but where she lived most people believed the word “lady” to be synonymous with either “slave” or “harlot.”
That was how women lived in this part of the world. Vera hated even the idea of it. She often wished she could have been born a boy that way she could become a sailor and at least make some sort of future for herself. If she had no future Vera saw no point in her existence. So as she looked at the beautiful girl in the window Vera saw nothing because she hated who she was.

Vera determined to lie back down and eventually sleep won the battle with the rowdy men below
.
Soon sunbeams fell on Vera’s tired eyes and she woke to relative silence. The island was always quiet in the morning. Half drunk men were just realizing what they had done the night before. Some of them would go straight back to drinking, trying to forget what happened, others would board their ships and head to sea, but the worst of them would go to church.
In most places, Vera imagined, going to church was a respectable thing to do, but on this island those who went to church would go to feign repentance so they could guiltlessly commit the same sins that very night.
Vera always enjoyed the early morning silence; it was one of her few blessings. As she rubbed the sleep from her eyes and listened more intently, Vera could hear the clamor of someone packing quickly. Curious and slightly alarmed Vera climbed down the steep stairs to discover the source of the commotion.
She found her terrified mother rushing about in a panic and tossing their few possessions into an old trunk. “Mum?” She questioned.
Vera’s mother was startled and nearly dropped her only family heirloom, her grandmother’s blue china plate. “Vera! How could you do that to me?” exclaimed her mother but before Vera could apologize she continued, “Never mind. We have to leave now. Get your things Vera.” It was clear to Vera that her mother was on the verge of becoming hysterical, she heard her mother’s commands but simply stood there in shock. “Vera, hurry! We haven’t much time!”
Just then the tavern door creaked open and Vera’s mother froze. “Vera hide in the pantry.” Her mother whispered frantically. Vera was lost, she did not know what to think, but she did as she was told. Vera peered through the cracks in the pantry door wondering what was happening. Why wasn’t her mother hiding? She was just standing there frozen like a scared little animal about to be killed.
A violent looking man with matted locks of hair falling from his dirty head and a wild look in his eyes stomped into the room. Even from behind the pantry door Vera could smell the rum on his breath; he filled her soul with terror and Vera was surprised that her breath did not turn to ice in his presence.
“Hello love,” he slurred in a voice more rough and foul than Vera had ever heard, “I hear ye have me map.”
“Map?” stuttered Vera’s mother, “I don’t think I know what map you’re speaking of… sir.”
Vera’s mother was slowly backing away from the wicked man and, although Vera couldn’t see the terrified expression on her mother’s face, she could tell, from her voice, that she knew exactly what the man was talking about.
“What Map!” roared the man, his terrible eyes growing ever more angry. “The map. The map that bloody, no-good pirate left with you. That Map, you filthy harlot!”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about, I swear!” cried Vera’s terrified mother.
“YES YOU DO!” he yelled, lurching forward and grabbing Vera’s mother by the throat, he pinned her to the wall.
Vera wanted to do something but she couldn’t move. “WHERE IS ME BLODDY MAP!” screamed the man, looking fiercer than ever. Vera’s heart pounded in her chest and tears raced in burning streams down her face. Vera felt nothing; she couldn’t move or speak and she wished more than anything in the world that this horrible nightmare would end.
So, sinking into deep despair, Vera did the only thing she could do; she prayed. She prayed that the man would leave and she and her mother would be safe once again, but most of all Vera just kept repeating in her heart, “Please God help me, please!”
Gasping for air Vera’s mother insisted one last time that she knew nothing of the map. “Well then,” sneered the man, “you’re of no further use.” With that he put a pistol to her ear and shot. Blood spattered the tavern walls and it was all Vera could do not to scream. She bit her lip so hard she could taste her own blood and she cried, alone.
The man searched the tavern frantically, cursing everything in sight. As he came to search the pantry, Vera stealthily climbed the wooden slats and hid in the back corner of the highest shelf. The man’s fierce eyes looked all around the room and Vera only wished her heartbeat wasn’t so loud. She felt sure he would find her but he never did. His search for the map was in vain.
In a fit of rage he doused the tavern walls in rum, grabbed the flint from the mantle, and soon the tavern was inflamed.
Vera, with tears stinging her bronzed face, crawled out of the pantry and as she passed her mother’s lifeless body she noticed the ring that her mother had always worn on her left hand. It was a very beautiful and intricate ring. Vera had known since she was a little child that her father had given her mother that ring and so it was something that Vera could not leave behind. She pulled the ring from her mother’s cold finger and placed it on her own.
As the cold night air bit at her trembling flesh Vera ran, sobbing, to the harbor and cried herself to sleep beneath the icy docks. As she lay weeping her home burned to ashes and her mother with it.

When Vera woke she found a huge man asleep on the dock. Creeping from his mouth was the foul stench of rum and shining at his side was a small, jeweled, silver dagger. She was alone on a dangerous island and she would need protection. Vera slipped it from its sheath and ran.
She had no idea where she was running to, only that she was running. The wind on her face and the rush of her blood forced her to stay alive.
She ran and it seemed she would never stop, but suddenly she plunged into a big greasy belly and tumbled to the ground. “Watch where yer going wench,” the big belly grumbled. Vera stood up and mumbled an apology as the man walked off. Behind him was a brilliant ray of sunshine.
According to the notice posted on the wall The Scarlet Maiden was in search of a cabin boy. It promised adventure on the high seas and lodging in exchange for assisting the good captain.
“What does it say?” The street boys seemed to appear out of nowhere and they stood behind Vera trying to decipher the strange symbols before them.
Vera smiled; “it says The Scarlet Maiden is in search of a cabin boy.”
“The Scarlet Maiden, Why she’s a pirate ship she is! Think what jolly adventures I’d have on that ship!”
The oldest boy stepped forward, “they won’t be wantin’ no runts aboard a pirate ship. As theys just looking for one cabin boy I imagine I’ll be the one explorin’.” Vera walked quietly away and the boys’ voices faded into the background.
Vera admired her new prized dagger and stroked her long dark hair. Looking into her own sad eyes through a dirty shop window she realized she no longer had any reason to stay on the island. So she grabbed her hair and, with her stolen dagger, hacked it off. She had no trouble with her clothes; she had always worn boy’s clothes. They were more fit for exploring. It was her chest that she might have trouble with. Vera wasn’t a very large breasted girl but still it was something that the men on The Scarlet Maiden would surely notice.
She looked up and down the street for something to disguise her femininity but, of course, no one had left even a scrap of fabric in the street. (If they had it would be gone by now.) She then looked to the street vendors and spotted a stand selling silk scarves. Vera’s pockets held nothing but lint but there was a white scarf sitting in just the right position to be snatched.
Vera was not normally a thief but this was a desperate situation and so she found herself with no other choice. The vendor’s attention was currently taken by a haggler and so Vera ,as normally as possible, approached the cart, pocketed the scarf, and walked away before anyone could notice. Once she was out of sight Vera bolted towards the nearest alley and prayed for forgiveness.
In the alley Vera removed her shirt and wrapped the scarf tightly around her chest. It wasn’t comfortable but it served her purpose.
So flat chested, short haired, and boldfaced, Vera headed towards the docks. The warm wooden planks burned Vera’s feet as she stood in line with all of the other boys looking for adventure. Fortunately no one recognized her.
A tall bearded man paced back and forth in front of the boys. “So yer all looking for adventure on the high seas; well what makes ya think ye deserve it? You’re all a bunch a scraggly street brats. Why should I be taken ye aboard The Scarlet Maiden?”
The bearded man looked rather fearsome with his burning dark eyes and scarred face. Needless to say, he made the boys nervous and Vera considered forgetting the whole thing and leaving right there.
Besides, what if she got caught? Girls were definitely not supposed to do this sort of thing and a pirate ship probably was not the safest place to lie to your captain. Yet, Vera knew she had to get off the island; it was her only chance. Even dying would be better than being a whore.
“Well I’ll tell you what,” said the bearded man, “whichever of you boys can give me the best treasure he’ll be the new cabin boy. Got it.” The boys nodded their heads and Vera clutched the silver dagger at her side.
Tom was the oldest and so of course he announced it was his right to go first. He reached into his pocket and pulled out an oyster. “That’s yer treasure lad? I could reach into the water and get me one of them meself if I wanted it.”
“Wait,” said Tom. The man turned to look and Tom slowly opened the Oyster. There, as white and beautiful as new fallen snow, sat the most perfect pearl Vera had ever seen.
“Well now that’s not bad boy,” the bearded man smiled and took the pearl. “Anyone got anything better?”
“Of course they ain’t. You can all go home now,” Tom was confident that he had the job. The other boys frowned and walked away, but Vera just smiled.
“I have something better.”
“Do ye now? Let’s see it boy.”
Smiling brightly, Vera presented the man with her silver dagger. “Well now that’s lovely.” The man looked to Tom, “You can go home now, I think we’ve found our boy”
“But what about my pearl?”
“Yer pearl? Ye gave it to me. Now I suggest ye get home ‘fore I test out me new dagger on ye!”
“Yes sir.” Tom was scared out of his wits and with that he ran off as fast as he could.
The man placed his big hand on Vera’s shoulder. “What be yer name boy”
“Er… Caden.”
“Well, Caden, welcome to The Scarlet Maiden.”


The bearded man, Vera soon learned, was called Joseph and he was first mate aboard the ship. The Scarlet Maiden was a dirty unsavory ship filled with dirty unsavory men and Vera wondered how on earth such a horrid ship could be her savior.
Joseph instructed Vera to wait at the bow while he informed the captain of her arrival and so wait she did. She leaned over the side of the vessel and gazed at the woman carved into it’s front. The maiden was the only other girl aboard the ship. She was stern and silent in her faded red dress and her eyes simply stared off into the horizon. She must have seen so many places and been through such grand battles. Yet her lips were sealed shut and she could not speak a word of it.
“Quite a beauty ain’t she,” said a rough, foul voice that Vera had heard only once before. Vera could feel her flesh burning as her fragile heart froze and nearly shattered. She turned and looked only to see the man who had killed her mother and destroyed her home. She tried to say something but the words were caught like a giant knot in her throat. Vera’s mind raced but she could do nothing. Her face was burning and her heart beat against her chest. She wanted nothing more than to destroy the man that spoke to her but she could not. She had to remain calm and that was a very difficult task.
“Did ye get me a mute for a cabin boy Joe?”
“No sir. Boy don’t ye know to answer the captain when he’s speakin’ to ye”
“Of course I do. Sorry sir. Yes she’s quite lovely.” Vera stumbled and tripped over her words.
“Well, boy,” said the captain, “She’ll be yer home so ya better get used to it. An’ learn to speak when someone says something to ye.”
“Yes sir.”
“ Joe here will tell ye what needs to be done. If ya need anything, well, yer either gonna have to get it yerself or else do without.” The captain turned to walk away.
“Excuse me Captain, but you forgot to tell me your name.”
“I didn’t ferget I didn’t mean to be tellin’ ye an’ yer best to keep yer nose out of me business. I don’t like it.”
“Yes sir”
The captain staggered away and left Vera with Joseph. “It’s best to be doing what Captain says otherwise you’ll be swinging with a noose around yer neck,” warned Joseph. “Now, usually I’ll be givin ye orders but sometimes the Captain might have somethin’ for ye to do. Captain’s orders always come first. If we get to fightin’ or raidin’ ye grab whatever weapon ye can and fight. If we find any treasures we’ll split em up evenly ‘cept the Captain gets a double portion and ye get a half portion. Understand?”
“Yes sir.”
“You’ll sleep wherever ye can find a place. Meals are served whenever Cook calls us in and they usually ain’t much. Now, let’s get ye to work. Ye can start by scrubbin’ the deck. Ye can find a bucket of water and a scrub brush in the kitchen. Get movin.’”
“Sir?”
“What boy?”
“Where’s the kitchen?”
“Aye, it’s down below. On the next deck down”
Joseph walked towards the captain’s quarters and, once again, left Vera alone at the helm. She headed below deck and soon found the lower levels of the ship were in far worse shape than the top deck. As soon as Vera began her descent she noticed a horrible stench that she imagined must be the smell of all the dirty men. They couldn’t possibly have taken a shower in a very very long time.
Vera looked at every door but they were all exactly the same. Every single one was just a plain wooden door and there were sixteen of them, by Vera’s count. She looked for some clue as to which one might hide the kitchen but she found nothing. Not wanting to risk entering some forbidden place, Vera asked her nearest shipmate where she might find the kitchen.
He was a fairly small man with hair that may have once been blonde but was now nearly black with dirt. “Right thar,” the man grumbled as he pointed to the very last door on the left.
Vera thanked the man and followed his directions to the kitchen.
She pushed open the kitchen door expecting to find the sweet smells of her mother’s kitchen at the tavern. She found no such thing. She did, however find a very large dark haired man.
“Well, hello,” said the man as a kind smile spread across his wide face, “ye must be the new cabin boy. What be yer name boy?”
Vera hadn’t seen such a kind face in all her life and she certainly didn’t expect to find one here of all places. “I’m Caden sir,” she said smiling back.
“Well Caden Sir me name is Zachary White but most aboard just call me Cookie.”
“It’s very nice to meet you Mr. White.”
‘Ha ha, well aren’t you just the most polite cabin boy I ever did lay me eyes on. Where did they get you from?”
“Well…”
“Ah, never mind it boy. What can I get ye?”
“Oh…Well I need a bucket and a scrub brush please.”
“They’ve already put ye to work eh? Well I’ll get yer things.”
Cookie went into a closet at the back of the kitchen and left Vera to herself. In the kitchen was a stove an oven and all the usual gadgets, knives and other things her mom kept in her kitchen. There were several tables for eating at and a large counter for preparing food. This place wasn’t nearly as dirty as the rest of the ship, which might explain why Cookie wasn’t nearly as dirty as the rest of the men. Nonetheless, the floor was still covered in dirt and it was nowhere near clean.
“Here’s yer bucket and brush lad.”
“Oh, thank you. It was nice meeting you.”
“Same to ye boy.”
With that Vera headed back up top to scrub the decks.
The top deck was so filthy that it seemed Vera was doing nothing but spreading mud. She kept scrubbing and began to wonder when The Scarlet Maiden last had a cabin boy because the deck obviously hadn’t been cleaned in a long time. It took her about fifteen minutes just to clean a small section and that was with scrubbing as hard as she could on her hands and knees. Cleaning the entire deck could quite possibly take months.
Soon the sun was sinking below the horizon and Vera was still working.
“Ha Ha, You’ll never finish that entire deck boy!”
Somehow Joseph had appeared behind her and was laughing at her efforts in cleaning the ship. This seemed rather ridiculous to Vera since Joseph was the one who told her to clean the deck in the first place. Still, Vera preferred life and so she held her tounge.
“Supper’s ready boy. If ye don’t get down to the kitchen ye won’t have nothin’ to eat.”
Vera followed Joseph back down to the kitchen, which was now filled with grimy men and their terrible smell. Cookie stood smiling behind the counter and at the sight of Vera his smile grew.
“Hello lad, what can I get for ye?”
This was not really so much of a question as it was a formality because the only thing Cookie had to offer in the way of food was a stale biscuit and some water. It wasn’t the best food Vera had ever tasted but it was better than nothing, which is precisely what she would be eating if she were on the streets.
Vera turned to look at the dining tables and her options as far as company were not at all enticing. The Captain sat at a table with only his first mate and she didn’t dare to even approach them. Still she wanted to hear their conversation and thereby learn something about where the ship was headed. There was a table about five feet away from the Captain that was crammed full of huge dirty men. Fortunately Vera was a fairly small girl.
She found a spot on the very end of the table but she could hardly sit on the six inches of bench that was left for her. She spotted Joseph and the Captain and was disgusted to see that they had been served a proper feast of Turkey, potatoes, bread, apples, and rum. At the moment they were tearing into turkey legs like starved dogs devouring some poor defenseless creature. Regardless, the men around her were ridiculously loud which made it impossible to hear anything the Captain might be discussing with his first-mate. She considered conversation with the crew but only for a few seconds because she soon noticed that they were rather frightening and really she wanted nothing to do with them.

© Copyright 2008 sweetheart (marie.myers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1411310-The-Night-of-The-Scarlet-Maiden-part-1