*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1411528-Western-Challenge-part-4
Rated: E · Fiction · Western · #1411528
Story of a girl an her life's changes as she travels west..
Jack and Meg gathered their luggage and the two children and headed out for the train station in their wagon. Amazingly the trip that far went smoothly and after several hours of traveling, they reached the town and the train station. Jack found a set of benches off to the side and tried to make himself and his family comfortable. Meg curled up on the bench beside Jack, leaning on his shoulder, while little Henry curled up on Jack's lap, and Scarlet slept in her basket, pressed against Meg's lap. The little family attempted to rest a few hours until the train came into the station with enough noise to rouse them from sleeping.

Once the train arrived, the family woke up and readied themselves to board, then boarded the train on the first passenger car. They took seats near the back of that car and attempted to settle in without much fuss, settling the babies in for another rest. Jack began reading the newspaper he'd purchased at the station, while Meg settled Henry down to continue his nap, then began to feed Scarlet under a blanket.

Meg then looked around the train at the other passengers. There were men in business suits and others in the clothes of a rancher or farmer. There were a few well dressed ladies and men, and others who lived off the land like themselves, as well as a few soldiers, and so forth. Mostly it was the general type of passengers who traveled on trains most of the time.

Meg then looked across the aisle and saw another young couple of about the same age as herself and Jack. The woman had dark auburn hair that was pulled back into a ponytail, and was wearing a teal color dress that was a little faded, and had a pair of glasses on while she was reading her book. The man beside the woman was wearing wool work slacks and a white cotton shirt with a coat and a vest, civilian rancher's clothes, but with the hat of a Union soldier. The man was fairly broad and strongly built, with dirty blond hair that had grown a bit long, an aristocratic nose, and a strong chin that was covered by a beard. He would've been a classically striking man, if it wasn't for the scar that seemed to run down part of his face and was half covered by the beard on his chin. He was attempting to sleep, while the woman beside him read her book.

After a moment, Meg noticed too that the woman looked to be several months pregnant, and so piqued by her curiosity, she started up a conversation.

“Hi, is that a good book?” Meg asked.

“Oh yes, it's supposed to be about child rearin' although my mama would probably know more than this author.” the girl said with a distinct Southern American twang.

“Yeah I think I know what you mean. So when's your baby due? Oh excuse me, my name's Megan Ericsson.” Meg said.

“Oh pleased to meet you. My name is AriBelle Fisburne Adams and I'm due in a few months. So how old are your two?” AriBelle asked, setting down her book.

“Oh well, the little boy is almost two and the little girl is three and a half months old. Actually the boy is really my nephew through marriage. My husband had to take in his brother's son after he was born after his brother and sister-in-law's deaths. So we're raising them both.” Meg said.

“Oh my that's interesting. Mmm, you don't sound like you're from around here...so when did you arrive? I always like to meet new people.” AriBelle asked.

“Oh well it's quite the story. A few years ago my sister and I came over from Ireland to live with our aunt and we did for awhile...until our aunt died and I had my accident. Times were tough again, I mus admit, though eventually we were helped by the Children's Aide Society in Boston...and we actually traveled out here on an orphan train over a year ago.” Meg explained.

“Oh my, really? So how'd you go from Orphan Train...to this? Go on...” AriBelle asked.

“Oh, well that's quite the story. Well you see, I was actually over 16 when I was riding with the Orphan Train, though my sister was only eight. My sister is partially deaf and blind, so I was taking care of her...until I became ill on the ride and my sister was adopted out without my knowing it so. Anyway, I went with the train all the way to California without being taken in and was on the way back to Boston, when we stopped at the town my husband and I got on. Well as I said before, my had his nephew to look after and when he saw the Orphan Train in town, he thought he could maybe adopt one of the older kids to help care for his nephew and with the chores. When he saw me, he first thought he was getting a little sister...but after we learned each other's real ages...we thought it would be best to just marry instead. We thought it'd just be a marriage of convenience...but well...you can see...haha...” Meg softly chuckled as she finished her story.

“Aw...that's so sweet, so romantic! It makes a great story too! Aw, and it's almost as good as the story of how my husband Derick and I met.” AriBelle exclaimed.

“Your story? Well I've gotta hear this!” Meg asked, suddenly intrigued.
“Well I was born a coal miner's daughter, in a cabin on a hill near Butcher's Holler. My family was sorta poor but we had a lot of love and I was the second oldest of eight kids. I never thought I'd leave, but that was before the war and before I met Derick Adams.

It was back just before the war finished several years ago. I was out just getting back from checking on my daddy down at the Van Lear coal mine, when I heard a sound ahead a ways. I was always a curious sort and loved to help people in need, be it critter or man. Anyway, I had just climbed over the hill, when I saw Derick laying out in the snow in a heap, half bleeding to death it seemed. I rolled him onto my pony, and carted him off to this little cabin my daddy had back in the woods a ways. I helped him in, giving him a shoulder to lean on, laid him on a cot there, and tended his wounds.

He was quite the site and his face looked even worse then than it does now. He even needed to have his eyes bandaged for a while, and my did that not help his temperament any. To be perfectly honest, he acted like a real beast sometimes, growling around like a bear from at first his wounds, then his eye bandages. I even told him so, but he just growled back that if he was the beast, then I must be the beauty, because I had a beautiful voice. I laughed that off at first, and told him I felt more like an angel of mercy than an angel of music.

Aw we had our times. Me taking care of him and dealing with his temper and various comments...and when he saved me from being attacked by a wolf when I tried to go back home and he then tried to keep me at the cabin at gunpoint....but I was able to talk him out of that. Anyway though it helped once I began reading him the Bible and singing little songs I made up for him. We began to get along fine, and all would've been fine...if it wasn't for the fact that Derick was a Yankee and my daddy and brothers hated Yankees, especially after our neighbor's son Johnny came back from the war in barely a pine box.

When my brother Beau found out about Derick and where I'd been wandering off to every day, it wasn't pretty. They got into a fight, though Derick was barely healed, and when I realized I loved him, I knew I had to go where he went. My daddy eventually consented and we married, but we had to promise to stay away from the home place whilst my brothers are around. We then moved to Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado, but now I heard that daddy's sick, so I wanted to go home no matter what my brothers think...” AriBelle said, her voice trailing off in the end.

“Oh my AriBelle, that is quite the story too! I'll keep you in my prayers, that's for sure!” Meg said comfortingly.

“Thank you, Meg, please do.” AriBelle said softly.
Meg and AriBelle continued talking until AriBelle's husband, Derick woke up from his nap and nudged her in the arm, indicating that he wanted her attention, then. As Derick and AriBelle talked amongst themselves, Meg lay the baby down in her basket and glanced out the window of the train, watching the countryside as they rolled on by.

A while later, Meg woke with a start after she realised that she had fallen asleep. She'd been dreaming about her family and her sister. She'd dreamt that she was traveling on the orphan train again with her sister, but also Jack, Henry, and Scarlet were along and they kept telling her “You've gotta make a choice Meg. You've gotta make a choice...”

Jack tapped her on the shoulder and asked her a question about money to buy food for their family and that they were getting close to the next depot. Meg had to clear her thoughts, then told him in a low tone where he could find some extra money for a bite to eat.

As she watched, Jack stood up out of his seat then picked up Henry and carried him to the back of the car, tears came to her eyes as he walked away. She realized then that even though she still loved her sister with her whole heart, Jack had taken an irreplaceable place in her heart as well. He could've refused her this trip, especially given the drama from the past few months, but he didn't. She knew then that he must really love her as well, and that she should treat him well too.

When he came back to their seats with a few sandwiches wrapped in waxed paper, Meg grabbed his arm and rubbed his back, saying “Jack, I know I do not say it enough, but...Thank you...for everything. For taking me in, for agreeing to this trip to see my sister, for loving me through everything. Jack, I know I haven't always been the easiest person sometimes, but I really do love you.”

“Aw Meg, I know. Thanks for telling me again...but I already know.” Jack said as he wrapped his arms around her and drew her close. Then he continued, “Actually, I should be saying the same to you because I know I'm not perfect either, still though I love you too. I've been thinking about it, I needed someone to take care of my nephew so I go off, marry a girl I hardly know, and soon get her pregnant. Then within a few months time there were our issues with our relationship at first, that run-in with Mrs. Brace, our crops, the fire, everything! I've probably been unfair and put you through too much...” trailing off on his last admission.

Meg leaned close to him and rubbed his shoulder as she spoke. “Oh Jack, you don't need to feel guilty about any of it. Babies are often a part of any healthy marriage, so don't feel bad about little Scarlett. Be thankful that she and Henry are as good and healthy of children as they are. As far as the fire, that couldn't have been totally stopped and I just thank the good Lord every day that we were spared any major harm. As far as Mrs. Brace or the baggage from my past that I brought into our marriage...well I'm glad that you were able to deal with all of that with your grace. I'm sorry if I've put you through a lot so far, but yeah I'm not perfect either.”

“Oh Meg, I didn't expect you to be perfect...but that's fine. I guess we were made for each other hmmm?” Jack chuckled as he wrapped his arm around her and gave Meg a hug.

Meg leaned against his chest and toyed with a button on his shirt, then closed her eyes to rest for awhile as the train traveled on.
Chapter 16

The next day, morning dawned just as the train pulled into the station of the town where Meg's sister, Heather was living and was being raised by the family who had adopted her from the orphan train a year before. The sun shone brightly through the soot covered windows of the train, giving a hazy appearance to the town from the point of view of the passengers inside the train. Meg attempted to wipe away a section of the grime with her handkerchief to get a better view, but Jack had already risen from his seats and was reaching for their baggage as well as his nephew. He tapped her on the shoulder and handed Meg their sleeping daughter, as he flopped his nephew across his shoulder like a flour sack.

“Aye Meg, time for exploring soon enough, but our stop's here and it's time to get going. Do you need to collect anything else, or did I get it all?” Jack whispered to her in her ear.

“Oh yes, let me check...” she said as she scanned the seats, then picked up her bag from the floor. “Yes I think I have it all. We can get off the train now. Though will a porter help us if we need it?”

“Yes I believe so...Okay then lets get going...” Jack said as he stepped behind his wife to make sure she got off the train fine while carrying the baby.

They stepped out onto the platform of the station and squinted through the sunlight at the town around them. Denver was a busy town with it's variety of citizens and businesses. There were general stores, a barber, an outdoor cafe, a church, a school, a tavern, a sheriff, and even the Mile High Hospital. They were impressed with the various amenities the city had to offer.

Jack asked at the cafe, which also doubled as a hotel, about rooms and then together they asked at the general store about the whereabouts of the family who had taken in Meg's sister, Heather. They were informed of the location and the shopkeeper at the general store said that he would get word to the family that they had visitors.

Jack and Meg then retired to their room with their children to get them settled, before they ventured to the home where Heather now lived. Meg was a bit apprehensive, but Jack attempted to calm her with encouraging and comforting words.

The small family then climbed into their rented buggy and traveled down a few cobblestone streets which were lined with trees on both sides, until they arrived at a beautiful stone house with a picket fence along the front yard. Jack open the gate for Meg and they proceeded to walk down the steppingstone path that led across the manicured lawn to the front porch of the house.

They knocked on the front door and were surprised to have it opened by a teenager in a wheelchair. The girl looked up at them and smiled, welcoming them into the house.

“Oh hello are you Mr. and Mrs. Ericsson? I'm Theresa and you've come to the right place, if you're here to see Heather and Helen. They're right this way, follow me.” she said as she manuevered her chair down the hall and led them into a spacious kitchen.

Around the table in the kitchen were at least four children working on what seemed like a cross between homework and supper because there were some peeling vegetables, while others were gluing papers together, and another was mixing something in a bowl.

Suddenly a woman looked up from where she'd been standing and helping one of the children and came over to greet them.

“Oh hello, Mr. & Mrs. Ericsson is it? I'm Julie Ross and as you can see, these are all of my children. Don't mind the mess, we've been working on dinner preparations so far...” Julie said.

“Oh no we don't mind, and you can call me Jack and this is my wife Meg, and these are our two little ones Henry and Scarlett.” Jack said as he extended a hand in greeting.

“Pleased to meet you and aw...aren't the little ones precious? Ah none ours came to us this young, they're little dolls.” Julie said as she reached to hold baby Scarlett.

“I'm glad you like our babies, because we think they're precious too...Um anyway we came to see Heather...” Meg said a bit nervously.

“Oh yes how could I forget? Here lets go into the parlor so Heather can come see you someplace a little less crowded. Follow me.” Julie said as she continued to carry baby Scarlett down the hall and into a beautifully decorated parlor with a davenport and two horsehair chairs as well as round end-tables, a polished mantle, and an upright piano in one corner. Everything seemed to be in place, in direct contrast to the kitchen and it's lively activity.

Julie left them for a bit while Jack and Meg settled onto the davenport and glanced around the parlor. After a few minutes, Julie Ross came back leading a slightly less rumpled version of the little girl they'd seen stirring something in the mixing bowl. Meg saw Julie lean down and finger spell something into the child's hand, causing her face to light up and the girl to run toward Meg's out-sretched arms.

“Oh Heather I'm so glad to see you!” Meg said to her as she hugged her sister, then remembered her sister's disabilities and finger spelled it into her hands.

The little girl began to cry a bit, then settled down as she hugged her older sister Megan. Megan then pulled away from her sister and glanced up at Julie Ross, who was looking at the happy reunion with tears in her own eyes.

Suddenly a tall, broad gentleman with graying hair, a deep voice, and wearing a suit came into the room. He went over to his wife and gave her a kiss on the cheek, then turned to the younger couple on the couch, extending his hand in greeting.

“I see we have a happy greeting here! Hello I'm Mike Ross and you are...” he asked.

“I'm Jack Ericsson and this is my wife Meg, and our two children Henry and Scarlett. We came for a visit because Meg is Heather's older sister.” Jack said as he extended a hand to Mike.

“Ah yes, I remember now, you were the young couple who asked about Heather's progress. Well let me tell you that although it hasn't always been easy, it's been a pleasure having Heather in our home as our daughter.” Mike said.

“Yes Heather has been a joy to have in our home. All of the children we've adopted into our home have come to us with their challenges, but Heather has adjusted thus far quite smoothly.” Julie said .
“All of your children have been adopted? And what do you mean by challenges?” Meg asked.

“Well let me explain. A number of years ago we had a child of our own who was born with special needs, disabilities as some might say. That child eventually passed away, but he left a special impression on our hearts, so much so that the good Lord allowed us to adopt six children with special needs as well. We our oldest two are now out of our home though. Mandy is deaf and is now seventeen years old and is attending Gaulledette College, while Leanne who is blind and is now twenty will be graduating from a school for the blind soon...and has recently become engaged to be married to a nice Christian young man she met who's a graduate student at a university near the school. Our other children are Theresa, who is fourteen and was confined to a wheelchair after an accident, Jimmy, who is thirteen and had speech & behavioral issues as a young boy but is doing better now, Tommy, who is ten and has mental disabilities but is improving, and of course Helen and dear Heather, who are both nine now and came with both visual and audio disabilities, but with various therapeutic intervention techniques are improving every day.” Julie said.

“My, you certainly have quite the children...” Jack commented.

“Yes they may have had challenges, but that's only made them all the more special in our eyes.” Mike said.

“Now that you've seen Heather again, Meg...you're not thinking to...” Julie asked reluctantly as she gazed at the two sisters.

“Well...all right I must admit that when we were coming her, I was considering taking her home with us because I've always wondered how she was getting along and was hoping that whoever had taken her in was treating her well...but now I can see that this is the best place for Heather. She can have all the help she needs, and more than we could give her on the farm. Plus now that we have these two babies to care for, I'm afraid that Heather...” Meg trailed off.

“Oh Meg, I can understand where you're coming from, and don't feel guilty about it. Yes two children and a farm, plus a child with special needs such as Heather, would be a daunting task for a young woman of your age. By the way, pardon if I may ask...I know that Heather and yourself traveled the same Orphan Train and were placed out in the same summer, yet your son...” Julie asked curiously.

“Oh Henry, well let me explain. You see Henry is actually our nephew, my husband Jack's brother's son. It was Jack's older brother and sister-in-law who I was placed out to from the Orphan Train...” Meg went on to explain, describing briefly how she'd actually been one of the oldest placements on the Orphan Train and that she'd only been Josh and Alena's daughter for only two weeks until their untimely deaths and her sudden marriage to Jack so that wouldn't have to be reassigned anywhere else. Then she even went on to briefly describe some of the drama she and Jack had gone through recently just before their trip to Denver, much to Jack's chagrin.

The Mike and Julie Ross gave them their greatest sympathies and said that if there was anything they could do, be not afraid to ask. Jack let his pride get him a bit and said that he didn't want charity, but the Rosses insisted that they pray with them anyway, and so they did.

The rest of the evening was spent in pleasant conversation around the dinner table, where Meg was able to observe how well Heather fit into her new family and reconfirmed Meg's decision about keeping Heather with the Rosses, whom she'd obviously grown to love.

Afterward, Jack and Meg drove back to their hotel, where Jack congratulated her on being able to make such a mature, though no doubt difficult decision about her sister Heather. He even admitted that if it had been him and his brother, he wasn't sure if he'd be able to make such a decision as that himself.

Meg thanked him and then settled their two babies into bed, thinking about what Jack had just said. She changed into her nightgown and climbed into bed, while Jack changed out of his clothes and crawled in beside her. He laid there starting to fall asleep, until Meg curled against him for a hug and whispered that she was glad that things had worked out the way they had thus far. Even though life wasn't always perfect, he was still a special treasure to her nonetheless.

Chapter 17

After spending a few days in Denver, Jack and Meg boarded the train for their return trip to their hometown and their farm. Their trip was rather uneventful, for which they were thankful. When they arrived back at their hometown, they were greeted by their neighbor Mr. Nilsson, who picked them up in his wagon to drive them back home.

Once they got back to their farm, they noticed that some of their neighbors had kept up their place quite well, making sure that the chores had been done and even their soddy looked like it had been repaired again, which Meg was appreciative of.

Still though, after having traveled to Denver and seeing what type of house her sister now lived in, Meg began to feel a bit forlorn over their own current housing situation, with having to raise her own babies in a soddy thus far, since the fire.

One evening not long after returning to their farm, Meg was sitting in her chair knitting by the light of a kerosene lamp, while Jack had just come in from outdoors to work on repairs for one of his harnesses. Meg looked up from her knitting and commented, “So Jack how are things going with the stock and the crops?”

“Oh pretty well, although the grey needs a reshoeing and I need to see what I can do with this harness until I can see a blacksmith sometime...The crops are doing alright although we could use a bit more rain as long it doesn't come too close to harvest. So we're doing pretty well...And you hon?” Jack said as he worked with the weak part on the harness strap, then glanced up.

“Oh I'm doing fine. The kids are doing well...but oh Henry got into the flour again and I had to watch out to make sure Scarlett didn't swallow any buttons...but otherwise we're doing fine. Still though...” Meg said as she glanced at him over her knitting.

“Still though? Something on your mind Meg?” Jack said as he gazed at her up from his work.

“Well it's probably nothing...it's just I know we're saving all of our money and you put in far more hours than you should, so I feel a little guilty wishing...but I wish we could raise our babies in something more than a soddy...” Meg said with a far off tone of desire in her voice.

Jack became quiet and thoughtful, then said “Yeah Meg, I want that too...Come here lets go outside.” he said as he reached his hand out to her.

Gazing at him intently, Meg set down her knitting, drew his hand into hers, then followed him outside. Once outside the soddy, he walked her over to a chair that was propped against the wall, and he sat down, drawing her onto his lap.

“Do you know what I like to do sometimes when I come out here?”

“Look at the stars?” she answered.

“Yeah you're right. I like to look at the stars and I like to dream...and talk to God...” he whispered in her ear as he held her close.

“That's nice...What do you dream about? What do you talk to God about? If you don't mind my asking...” Meg asked, while looking him in the eye to the best she could, given the waning light.

“I don't mind your questions Meggie. I like to dream about all of the ways I wish I could give you and the kids more...like a big beautiful house with all the conveniences, like that woman Julie Ross had. But then I always remember to thank the Lord for all of the blessings he's already given...blessings such as this farm, fair weather when needed, and most of all you and the kids.” he said while gazing at her.

“You think we're blessings?” Meg inquired.

“Of course you're a blessing...don't think otherwise.” he said as he stroked a tendril of hair away from her face. He then glanced up and pointed to the sky, saying “Oh look a shooting star...”

Meg glanced up momentarily, then returned to gaze at her husband. He did cut a fine profile in the moonlight, the darkness making his eyes an even deeper blue. It was then that she felt an overwhelming wave of emotion sweep over her. Here was her husband Jack, for all of his foibles and imperfections and all of the times they'd been through thus far, she loved him. She swept away a stray strand of hair from his brow, and then turned his face toward her.

“Shooting stars indeed! Oh Jack I love to hear of your dreams, but I love you for who you are. You're precious to me, more than you'll know...” she said as she stroked his face, leaning in and kissing him.

They kissed and enjoyed their time under the stars, with only the faint sounds of the breeze and the distant howls of wolves.

After a time, they resumed their conversation, where Jack described his idea to bring a few sheep to their farm and eventually expand into ranching and so on, with Meg reassuring him that if he believed in his dreams then they'll all come true, which caused Jack to chuckle.

Their lives then continued on in the pattern they'd developed over their past year and a half together. They harvested their grain with the help of their neighbors as they'd done the previous year, but with a neighbor's girl taking up the duty of watching the babies.

They attended harvest parties with square dances and husking bees. Food was spread out on the tables in the neighbor's barn, hay bales decorating the corners of the barn, as couples gathered on the dance floor. A fiddler struck up a tune, and soon Jack and Meg were swept up into a lively set of dances. They danced on, sometimes switching partners, having much fun.

Then there was a pie auction where Jack made sure to bid on Meg's pie. Her pie cost him sixty cents, but he thought it was worth it. Still though he thought that he got a better deal than the poor lad who'd picked a pie where the gal who had baked it had mistaken salt for sugar and ended up with a salty dessert.

Jack and Meg left with some of the older couples although they were closer in age to the younger, unmarried people. They'd left earlier so that they could take their babies home and beat the storm which Jack had heard from others were coming. It was a good thing they did too, because the storm did come and buried them in their soddy under drifts of snow.

Meg was glad that Jack had strung a line between the barn and soddy, so that they wouldn't become lost walking between the two locations in a blizzard. Even though the rope provided some reassurance, Meg was still concerned, but Jack reminded her to keep her faith in God that all would be fine, although she still said a silent prayer every time they stepped out the door that winter.

One day that winter, Jack had stepped out of their home to go to the barn and check on some of the animals, while Meg stayed in their soddy to continue with household chores. Meg became busy with what she was doing and didn't notice the time or the change in the weather, until she realized that Jack had been gone for quite awhile.

Fearing the worst after seeing the blizzard that had arisen, she bundled herself up and struck out toward the barn. The she had thought that the weather had calmed somewhat, until she was almost to the barn and a squall hit. She grabbed the lifeline tightly, then saw a shadow moving slowly toward her along the line. Suddenly the shadow stumbled in the snow, and she rushed forward to it.

“Oh Jack is that you? Come along love, we must get out of this snow...” Meg mumbled through chattering teeth as she rested his weary body against her.

The Jack just mumbled slightly, while Meg used all of her strength to guide them along the line back to their home, through the blinding snow. It was a slow process at first but finally they made progress back to the house.

When they got there, Meg lay Jack down in front of the fire and began removing his wet and sodden clothing that had frozen to his skin. She then began to message his frozen limbs in an attempt to bring life back to him, all the while softly talking to him.

“Jack Ericsson, you pretty boy! I cannot let you die, I will not let you die! I love you more than anything on earth! I love you more than life itself! Save your strength my pretty Colorado boy, my husband, my love...” Meg pleaded with tears in her eyes as she attempted to revive her nearly frostbitten husband, Jack.

Suddenly Meg remembered that skin contact was the best way to save someone from frostbite, so carefully she removed most of her clothing and lay with him there, wrapped in a blanket in front of the fire.

They lay there warming by the fire, Meg speaking soothing words in his ear as she stroked his hair away from his face, then ran her hand down his jaw feeling the stubble that was already growing there. After awhile even Meg fell asleep, as she listened to Jack's even breathing.

A few hours passed, and gradually Meg began to awake and realized that Jack had awoken too, enough that he had rolled over onto her and they began to make love, despite the fact that Jack was still only semi-conscious. Eventually they both fell asleep.

Awhile later, baby Scarlett began to cry, so Meg had to get up and take care of the baby. She wrapped herself in a blanket and sat in the rocker to feed the baby beside the firelight. She sat there staring down at Jack who was just starting to awaken. He noticed Meg sitting in the chair feeding their daughter, wrapped only in a blanket, and then spoke.

“Oh hello there Meg...”

“Hello there yourself, Jack.” Meg chuckled coyly, as she glanced at him from her chair.

“What happened?...I had the strangest dream that I was lost in a blizzard...then suddenly were at it like our lives depended on it...what a dream!” he said astonished but still a bit weakly.

“Like our lives depended on it?...It was something like that...hmm” she said a bit smugly.

“So that wasn't a dream? Hmmm, no wonder it was so real...I hope I didn't force you...” he questioned.

“No you didn't force me...and though I was a bit surprised, I certainly didn't mind...” Meg said shyly and winked at him.

“Ah I thought so...” he said huskily, then added, “Anyway what did happen? The last I remembered I was going check on the stock...then suddenly I was here with you?...”

“Well you're mostly right dear. Yes you did leave to check on the stock and to chore, but then when you didn't return after a bit, I thought that I should go check on you...even if I did leave the babies sleeping here in the house...” Meg explained.

“Oh Meg how many times have I told you?...” Jack moaned.

“Yeah I know Jack...but I just felt that I should go find you. You're my husband, my love, I could never leave you to freeze out in the cold, all alone save for the Lord...” Meg said her voice breaking with emotion.

“Well I hope you feel the same way when we're old and gray...” Jack said.

“Oh Jack, of course I will. Do I love you? Yes I love you! And I always will...” Meg said, her voice warm with emotion.

Jack raised a hand out to her and Meg reached out to him, sinking down onto the floor beside him. Meg then reached out and stroked the side of her husband's face, then kissed him there. They held each other close, staring at their little daughter awhile, marveling at their little miracle until the baby fell asleep. Meg put the baby back in her bed, then went back and helped Jack into bed to rest, but neither of them got much rest for awhile, until the kids woke them up to truly start their day.

Jack continued to recuperate the next few days while Meg made sure as many of there chores were done as possible, since life on a farm waits for no one, no matter the weather.

Chapter 18

The Christmas season was soon upon them, and given the year they'd had that past year, Jack and Meg knew that they would have to pinch their pennies and be creative with their gifts, but they knew that it was the thought that counted most.

With that in mind, Meg decided to knit Jack a new scarf and hat, as well as a new pair of socks, while for the children she altered some dress material she'd found amongst a charity barrel that had been distributed to families in their community after the fire. Some of the items from the barrel hadn't been very practical for prairie life, however with a bit of ingenuity and alterations to what she received, Meg was able to make something a bit more suitable for her family. Meg was able to create a new dress for Scarlett and a new skirt for herself, as well as trousers and a shirt for Henry, and a new shirt for Jack. Meg also created a little rag doll for Scarlett, while Jack told her he would work on a gift for Henry.

When Christmas day came, Meg got up early to prepare a special breakfast for her family and had just put the rolls in the makeshift oven, when a blast of cold air suddenly came blowing in from the open door. Meg looked over her shoulder and started to comment.

“Whoa Jack shut the door before you let all of the outdoors inside here...”

Suddenly Jack came up, wrapped his arms around her her, kissed her on the side of her neck near her left ear, and said “Merry Christmas my love, you feel good and warm on this frosty morning.”

“Merry Christmas to you too love, Oh yeah just what I need as a gift, your frosty lips. He he I think I can help with that...” Meg said as she gave him a full on kiss.

They continued their kisses for a few more moments, until Jack yelped “Ow I didn't know you were that hot.” “Oh no my biscuits! Let me get them out of the oven.” Meg panicked a bit while she pulled her Christmas rolls out of the oven, nearly burning her finger in the process.

“Oh Meg are you fine?” Jack asked.

“No I think I burned my finger...And our breakfast is probably ruined.” Meg moaned.

“Don't worry about the breakfast, come here and let me see about that finger.” Jack said as he proceeded to lead Meg to a chair, then pulled another in front of her and sat own after grabbing a jar of liniment.

“Now this should make you feel a bit better, just hold still...” Jack said as he applied the liniment to her finger over the slight burn.

“Oh Jack what is this stuff you're putting on my finger? It sure smells funny...” Meg asked.

“Oh it's just something I use on my horses sometimes when their traces are bothering them some...” Jack replied.

“Horse medicine? Are you sure about this Jack?” Meg asked nervously.

“Aw Meg, ha ha oh you'll be fine Meg, don't worry about it...” Jack said as he finished with her hand and then gave it a little kiss. “There ya go, good as new.” he said as he winked at her.

“Okay if you say so...Oh what a way to start Christmas...ha ha...” Meg chuckled as she glanced at Jack, and would have said more, except that their children interrupted them. “Uh the babies are waking up, so I guess it really is Christmas now isn't it?”

“Yeah I guess so...ha ha nothing like kids at Christmas...Oh yeah I almost forgot, I need to bring in our gifts. I will be back in a while, no peaking!” Jack said as he ran out the door.

“Be careful of the door...Uh too late I guess! Oh he's a silly daddy isn't he sweetie? Merry Christmas!” Meg said to her children as she changed their diapers an dressed them for the day.

Meg was just finishing with the children's needs, when Jack came bounding back through the door with a number of bulky, strangely wrapped gifts. Meg was inwardly wondering about Jack's gifts, but thought better of it than to question him aloud, so she thought to just bide her time to wait and see.

Meg gave her gifts to the delight of her husband and children. The children were so young that they appreciated whatever they received, while Jack mentioned to Meg how much he liked what she'd given him.

When it came to Jack's gifts, he let the pride shine in his eyes as each one opened their gifts from him. For Scarlett he'd made a doll cradle which he'd carved from a single log. For Henry he'd made a set of blocks and a train of sorts out of scraps of wood and some spools Meg had used. For Meg he had built a whatnot shelf for her to keep her treasures on, which she delighted in.

Then finally after all of the gifts had been given, Jack beckoned her forward where he asked her, “So Meg what did you think of the Christmas gifts so far?”

“So far? Well I thought they were all quite nice. The children seem to love their toys and of course I love the cabinet you made for me. Thank you love!” Meg said.

“Well if you want it, I have something else for you...but if you don't want it...” Jack teased.

“Oh another gift? I'll take it, whatever it is.” Meg replied.

Instead of speaking any more, he led her to the chairs once more, where he placed an envelope in her hand. She opened the envelope which contained a letter and a check. She noticed the check and scanned the letter, then asked “What is the meaning of this? You didn't sell the farm did you?”

“No the farm is still ours.' If you look closely you'll notice that the check is from Mike and Julie Ross, and no they're not paying for your sister, so don't worry. They're giving us a love gift so that next spring we can build a new house...” Jack explained.

“Really? They're giving us a love gift for a new house, and you're accepting it! Oh that's so kind, so wonderful...it probably took a lot for you to accept it, but I'm glad you did.” Meg sighed understandingly.

“Well you're right...but no matter I wanted you happy, and I realized that your happiness is worth more than my pride, so I accepted it.” Jack admitted quietly.

“Oh Jack, thank you for everything...I love you!” Meg said as she leaned forward and gave him a hug.

The winter continued on until eventually spring came on to the prairie home. Within a few weeks of the Spring thaw, Jack and Meg received a telegram from Mike and Julie Ross stating that Meg's sister Heather was doing fine and that they had a surprise for them in a few weeks. Meg wondered what the surprise was, but Jack only smiled slyly whenever Meg asked.

Finally the weeks passed, and suddenly Jack said that he wanted them to take a trip into town. After dropping the children off at the Nilsson's, Jack and Meg proceeded into town, which had grown somewhat since their last time there. Meg made note of it, then wondered when Jack stopped in front of the train station and waited there.

Suddenly the train pulled into the stop, where they waited until the dust settled a bit and the passengers disembarked. Eventually the baggage cars opened and along with the baggage, the porters began to unload a number of crates, which Meg asked about when she realized they had Jack's name on them. Before Jack could answer, Meg heard their named being called and turned around and suddenly saw Mike and Julie Ross along with Heather! Meg hurried toward Heather and gave her a hug, then looked up toward the Rosses. The Rosses smiled down at her, then said “You're probably wondering why we brought Heather here, well we did for a visit, but not only that we've come to bring you your house.”

“Our house? How can that be?” Meg asked.

“Well did you see all of those boxes? Those are the pieces to your house.” Julie explained.

“My house?” Meg asked.

“It's what you call a prefabricated house, a kit that is assembled to create a house for your family.” Mike explained.

“Oh really that is great! Thank you!” Meg exclaimed.

The family spoke more then loaded the wagon with the crates that contained the pieces of their house and went on their way to their farm. When they arrived back, they noticed that many of Jack and Meg's neighbors had come to help raise their new house. The next few days were busy spent building the new house and visiting with Mike and Julie Ross and Heather.

On the last day, Meg drew Jack aside that evening, where they cuddled together looking at the stars. Then Jack spoke “So Meg what do you think of all of this?”

“Oh Jack it's so wonderful! Not only the new house and having Heather nearby once more, which I both appreciate. More importantly, however, was the way you cared. Oh Jack I can't begin to tell you how much I love you, how it all began at the train station, when you noticed me.” Meg cried.

Jack drew her close and whispered in her ear, “Oh Meg thank you...I love you too. You'll always be special to me, my love. I can't guarantee that our lives will be perfect in the future, but know that no matter what I'll love you.”

He held her close and stared at the stars, knowing that wherever life would lead, they had each other and the God would lead the way.
© Copyright 2008 atomicseasoning (adhfan75 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1411528-Western-Challenge-part-4