*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1415964-Prologue
Rated: E · Preface · Dark · #1415964
prologue to my novel about vampires taking over the world
              A period of darkness had descended upon the nations. Everyone knew that something was coming, some unfortunate change, yet they could not say precisely what it would be. People were concerned with an economic crisis, a war, perhaps even the end of the world. The Mayans believed the world would end December 12, 2012; they were right.
         No one could tell you the exact moment that it happened, it just began gradually. Everyone was falling into poverty and no one knew what the government was doing with its money. Even simpler than the political and economic state was the fact that things just felt different. People no longer felt safe; they were drained of happiness. Everything seemed dark and dreary, even in the bright cloudless sky. Something was happening, not just in the States, but across the world. What was happening to and around us?
         They had somehow managed to wheedle their way into the system. Everything was carefully planned and perfectly executed. They seemed no different from any other politicians; well-dressed, all smiles, and all promises. There were so many of them, too. It turns out that about two-thirds of them weren't human. How it is they managed to take over elsewhere, I don't know. The way our government had been slipping up, perhaps it was easy. Anyone with wealth and publicity could become a leader.
         First, there were mysterious deaths occurring in the House and Senate. New people were coming out of the shadows and replacing them. At that point, no humans were left in office and they could pass whatever they pleased. Eventually there was no longer any need for secrecy or false government; they had gained absolute control. Thus, humankind had been suppressed. We were no longer slaves to money, our belongings, or ourselves; we were slaves to another race, another species. We were slaves to the "vampires."
© Copyright 2008 Milana Bliss (readwritelive at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1415964-Prologue