*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1416323-Insurance
by Rory
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #1416323
Story of an ambitious young man. told through letters then fiction story.
Dear Mother,

There were many times when I grew sceptical about going away to this university. I had always had the gut feeling that it wasn't right for me. Instead of trusting myself I put my trust and my future in your hands, as I always do. Throughout my life I have always put my trust in your hands and come out either up or down. When I was down it was my fault and when I was up it was only because of you. My life has always been like this.

I have learnt many things in my life but there are few of these lessons that I have put to practice. The actually voluntary practice of what I have learned. Every major decision I have made in my life has been based on your order or your manipulation. I have gotten into one of the best schools in the country and there is not one shred of pride in my body. Every time I turn a corner at this place or meet a new person I feel that it is only because of the steps in my life that you have taken for me. Nothing here is from my own doing and I cannot stand it any longer.

         I have decided to leave this place; I can no longer stay in this haunted ghost land of past mistakes. I have yet to make my own mistakes and become a better person by learning from them. I feel as if I am still a young child at home. The only mistake I have been able to make for myself is never going out and doing what I want. It is that mistake that haunts me and I am going to make it right. By the time you have gotten this message I would have packed up and left the school. I have a decent enough of a resume to get by in my life and one or two good contacts that can help out when I am in trouble.

         This is goodbye. You will not be able to track me down because not even I know where I am going to go.
                                                                     Samuel


Samuel,
         Don't you think for a second that I cannot track you down? It is because of me that you have those so called "contacts" and don't think that I do not have any of my own. I know how to get through life and how to get what you want, that is why you must listen to me. I have the benefit of experience and if you decide to go off on your own little journey of self discovery than I will not chase you. You will come back within the month. You are and always have been a sheltered little boy, sheltered by money and by your parents. You will not last out there in the real world and once you have come to this conclusion you will be back.

         I am going to make you a deal, you can go off and do your little journey out of spite but when you learn that what I say is the best for you, you have to come back to school. You are not ready for the real world; wait until you have finished school then you can go off and join the company, ready to succeed like the rest of the family. I don't know where this sudden burst of independence has sprung from but we both know it will not last. See you soon...
                                                                     Mom

Dear Jennifer,
         I followed Samuel just as you had asked; I tracked him all the way to Paris. It was one day when I lost track of him that I grew scared. The moment was short lived when Samuel appeared behind me suddenly with a beer in each hand. He handed one to me and we began to talk. I had never met Sam before yet he was aware of his shadow since the very beginning of the trip. I had followed him for at least a week, yet he was just seeing how far I would go.

         As we sat and talked I was swayed towards the other side of the argument, Sam's side. It seems that Sam has grown into quite the independent young man. It also appears that he has been planning this for quite some time, he has been working the stock market and is living quite well in the outskirts of Paris. He says that he has a contact who has been like a portal into another world, Sam is now gaining influential friendships and independence beyond any other.

         I am leaving your employment and joining Samuel. I am being paid to become his bodyguard although it seems more like I am being paid to stick around as a friend. He is in no real danger, he is merely giving me a job while I find my feet in Paris under his new company's employment.

         It was under his advice that I gave you his location. He wished for you to get one chance to explain yourself and make amends. This letter is of my own will, I wish for you to know what is really going on instead of being left in the dark. Good bye and thanks for all of the work you have given me over the years.
                                                                               Jason


INSURANCE

The week had been a tough one, not for Sam really, for his customers. It was his job to make it tough on the clients and he was good at it. This was no line of work for pushovers or for slackers, you had to be ruthless, cruel and conscience free. Of course, with this type of work there would always be people needed to watch your back. There is always someone out looking for blood. The reason Sam was so good at what he did was that he knew how to read people. He knew how to deal with people and how to drive them into a corner. This also came in handy when he needed to give that person money, give money to the desperate and collect later. That was how the money loaning business worked.

Yet this week had been unusually tough for one of his customers. It's not the fall that matters, the customers almost always fall; it's the size of the fall that mattered. Everyone ends up in the same place, but how hard you land determines how bad you day is going to be. This particular family had fallen hard. The Perry family had been right up at the top when the company came into play. They had the rich lifestyle and with that, a parent with a gambling problem. Their father had been in and out of the casinos and Sam had been watching him for some time. It had taken roughly a month of work and the family was now practically on welfare. There was a last minute bit of luck that stopped them from going completely bankrupt.

In spite of the companies success, for it was a successful business, big changes were about to be made. The boss of the company was close to retirement. It was time for the second in commands to be on their best behaviour. Said second in commands consisted of Sam and Jake. Both of which came form wealthy families and knew how to get what they wanted. Suffice it to say that the tension in the office was fierce.

Jake was just as much ambitious as Sam and he had come up with a plan to take his competitor out of play. It was during one humid, slimy night that he met up with the Perry family. It did not take much convincing for them to agree to take out Sam; it was he who had been in charge of their case. Jake told them that if Sam were to be in some need of money, he would most likely fall back on the company, taking money from the vault. He hinted that Sam's house was full of prized belongings and signed a document telling the Perry's that he would pay any money to get them out of trouble in case they were caught.

When Sam came home to find that his house had been ravaged he knew what he had to do. Sam had money to spend but having his entire house redone was not at the top of his list. It was at this point in time that he decided to take the chance. He stayed late one day after work and when everyone was gone, he went into the vault and took some money. Jake was still in the office however, being sure to watch the action he knew would occur. The next day, Jake called the boss and told him about how Sam had taken money out of the vault and had the camera evidence to prove it. The boss asked both of them to a backwater meeting.

It was late at night when the three of two cars pulled into the broken down warehouse. There were rats in the corner and broken lamps on the ceiling. While this was hardly the spot for a meeting of high class business men, these men were unsure of the actions that would be taken that night. Jake pictured a fantastic scene of Sam being taken out by the company cronies, gunned down as he went down in a blaze of glory, leaving Jake to take over.

Sam however, seemed undaunted by the mysterious meeting in the warehouse. He exited his car and stood relaxed in his suit, watching as the boss and Jake exited the limo with henchmen to boot. Jake's smile gave a flicker, why was Sam so calm? He knew what this type of meeting meant, someone had to go.
         
With the steadiness of a surgeon, Sam walked across the ground between the two groups. He strode straight up to the boss and as the henchmen raised their guns the boss and Sam gave each other a firm handshake and a smile, turning to Jake. The meeting had been called on Jakes evidence, yet now they were facing him as the accused. Jake became angry and asked the boss to explain the friendly manner towards Sam. That is when Sam smiled a wicked smile that sent shivers down Jakes spine; Jake knew that something had gone wrong.

This is the same moment that Sam explained clearly and slowly why Jake was now the accused, why Sam and the boss had set this meeting up. Sam knew that there were many people who wished him death, but only recently frustrated clients who would cause him financial harm. The Perry family had been in Sam's pocket since the end of the case, for it was Sam's doing that saved them from going completely bankrupt. While the family had a great amount of frustration and hatred, it was towards their father, not the loan company. Trying his best to make things right, the father took an offer from Sam, enough money to stay off welfare and Sam would get a favour from this man. Knowing that this man got rich through careful thinking and political links, Sam knew that this connection would come in handy. The Perry family answered to Samuel.

It was under his own orders that they destroyed his house. After reporting Jakes actions, Sam told them to abide with Jakes wishes and destroy the house. Sam then waited late in the office, knowing full well that Jake was watching. He then went into the vault and withdrew money, money which he had placed in the vault that morning with the boss' consent.

Upon hearing this plan Jake grew angered. He pointed at Sam and accused him of lies, telling him that there was no proof, nothing that linked Jake to the Perry's. It was at this particular point in time that Sam's car door opened and the father of the Perry family came out. Mr. Perry then told the boss the whole truth, testifying against Jake and showing a legal document with Jake's signature on it.
         
In his newfound anger, Jake rushed Mr. Perry. Expecting this, Sam got in the way and in one sudden movement had Jakes neck in his hand. Instead of stopping Jake in his tracks, he thrust his head forwards, breaking the limo's window with it.

"I apologize for the window Drake."
"Son, I have better things to do with my time then cry over a window...like retiring for example."

Sam followed him into the limo, a wicked grin playing across his face as he took his seat next to the boss.

© Copyright 2008 Rory (rsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1416323-Insurance