*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418246-Jealousy
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1418246
A 300 word flash fiction contest entry.
I knew she was hiding something, but I couldn't prove it.  Cheryl cancelled our dinner plans, telling me something came up.  She was lying, but when I asked her who she was screwing she blew up and said she never wanted to see me again.  She claimed she couldn't take my jealousy anymore, but I knew the real reason. 

I followed her to a nearby restaurant and watched as she greeted her lover with a long hug.  They disappeared into the building, arm-in-arm. 

I used my key to enter Cheryl's apartment and await her return.  I rummaged through the cardboard box where she kept the mementos of our time together.  Anger seethed in my heart as I looked at each smiling photograph.  They were all lies. 

The door opened; Cheryl and her lover stepped inside.  Their laughter was cut short at the sight of me and my gun. 

"Sam, what are you doing here?"

"I knew you were cheating on me, you slut."

"It's not what you think!" 

"It's exactly what I think."

"You don't want to do this," her lover said.

The first shot hit him in the chest.  He dropped to the floor and Cheryl ran to him, screaming his name.  He looked like a Brian, a dead Brian.

Cheryl looked up at me just in time to watch me pull the trigger.  She slumped over Brianā€˜s body.  Their blood mingled and oozed into the carpet.  I threw the rose I'd given her yesterday on top of them.  Now they could be together for eternity. 

I smiled at the headline in the paper -- "Two People Murdered."  My smile disappeared as I read the first line -- "Cheryl Johnson and her cousin Brian Johnson were shot and killed last night..."
© Copyright 2008 Thayamax (thayaruth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418246-Jealousy