*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418769-Mirage-Part-two
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1418769
Kyle learns by hard experience that not everything it what it first appears to be.
Mirage Part two

Hezron



Megolith stopped its wailing and began pursuit. It could see them running, fleeing into the distance. He screamed one last time and slid forward, rushing after them. They ran on and on, the monster gaining on them by the second.

"What's happening?" Simeon asked when they were within earshot.

"Run!" Keil shouted in panic. Simeon saw the beast heading their way and needed no second bidding. Then an idea struck him.

"Follow me! I know what to do!"

Megolith slithered forward, twice the speed at which any normal man could run. However, as frightened as they were, Rameus, Simeon and Keil were not running as normal men ran. They ran like madmen, seeking to escape their pursuer, their legs moving faster than they had ever moved in their whole life.

They dove round a corner and into the brush. The snake came around after them barely and instant later. But they had vanished. He stopped abruptly and looked around. It looked like an ordinary bend it the road, so how had they eluded him? He tasted the air with its long purple tongue, hoping to caught their scent. As he searched he moved slowly onward, hoping they hadn't gone too far.

*                    *                    *

"You idiot!" Rameus pressed Keil against the cave wall, his hands clenched tightly onto his shoulders. "Why didn't you listen to me?! We were almost killed!"

"Why didn't you just tell me? I would have moved faster if I had known that there was a mad snake on its way!" Keil shouted back.

"Knock it off, both of you!" Simeon joined in, hoping to stop them. "He might hear us."

Knowing full well that the creature was far away by now, Rameus ignored him. "If you hadn't sat down than we wouldn't have been attacked. Now we are going to reach the camp late and the operation may end up failing! Next time that I tell you to-"

"Shut up!" Simeon shouted at the top of his lungs. Rameus and Keil both stopped and stared at him. Neither of them knew he had that in him. Simeon had never shouted before, especially at a superior. "I know that we were attacked because of Keil, but who says it wouldn't have happened anyway? It was obviously following us. So both of you can stop blaming each other. We need to get moving if we are going to get to the base on time."

*                    *                    *

A sentry named Jolar paced back and forth, anxiously awaiting for the arrival of the boy. He was supposed to be here by now. What was taking him so long? Already the sun was high in the sky and the lights of the rebel encampment behind him were dying or being put out as the men went to bed.

"Jolar, are they here yet?" General Varnes stuttered towards him, bearing a war helmet beneath his arm and a sword at his side.

"You would know if they were." Jolar replied. "The camp would be cheering like if they had arrived. We're starting to worry that they were killed on their way here. Should we send out a search party?"

Varnes shook his aged head. "Not yet. If I know old Rameus, he'll make it through. Even if they were attacked, he'd sacrifice himself just to save the life of his charge. That's the way he plays the game of life." Even so, his battle-worn face reflected the look of worry. It was obvious that he was still not sure if his friend was going to make it.

"You go and get your rest, Jolar. I'll watch for a while." The kind warrior advised. "I wouldn't feel a comfort knowing that I hadn't at least done something for my own friend and companion."

Jolar nodded. "Very well. If you're sure."

Varnes smiled. "You're a good lad, but you need your sleep. I saw you training earlier. You're in no position to be staying out this late after working so hard."

"Yes, sir. Thank you." Jol replied. He turned and strode back to camp, hoping to find some food left over before going to sleep. He never took breaks to eat, that was what he called loyalty, but it was also what others called stupid. He didn't care. He ust did his job to the best of his ability.

Varnes sat down in the damp grass and looked out into the dark woods beyond the camp. He considered giving Jolar a promotion. Then he declined for the third time that day. Jolar loved his current job, despite the low pay. Either way, he felt that he had to reward the boy's diligence some way or another.

He looked up at the stars high above, glimmering and shining as they did. He couldn't wait for this ugly affair to be over, whether he saw he left and his soul floated up the heavens or if he saw this thing through, we wanted peace for once in his life. He felt that if he had his choice, however, he knew that he would he would choose to see it through to the end, no matter how much he missed his beloved wife and daughter.

He looked back out into the woods and hoped that he would see Rameus again. Too long as friends in war they had fought side-by-side, each doing his own duty, both striving to free their people.

Then, like a mirage, he thought he saw his friend in the shadows. Then he was gone again, as was Varnes' hope. Then it was there again and his hope flickered back to life. A shadow in the dark moved steadily his way, the familiar shape growing more recognizable with each passing moment.

Then the figure rose his hand and waved. Limping, but living, Rameus hailed him.

*                    *                    *

Varnes passed a glass to his friend. "You had us worried. We thought that you might never make it. What happened?"

"Megolith found us about halfway here, near Meadow falls. He attacked the boy, but he lived. Unfortunately, however, so did Megolith. Unless his eye gets infected or some or other miracle occurs, he will still be serving Hezron for quite a time."

"What of your injuries?"

"The boy and I are both injured, but it is nothing."

Keil and Simeon lay in the tent next to them, trying to sleep. Simeon has fallen into a deep, careless sleep, but Keil lay awake, listening.

"Our doctors said that it was a grave wound which you took. The boy's injury is nothing to yours. What happened?"

"It bit him, the beast did. It sank its fangs clear to the bone." One of the other men said.

"Is this true?" The General asked Rameus.

The man tucked his bandaged arm under the table. "More or less," He replied, brushing the matter aside. "What is more important it the job tomorrow."

"You won't be going anywhere with that arm, old friend.

"But I must lead the boy, as you said." The Roaming Instructor counciled. "I can manage."

"No, I will go in your stead." Jolar advised. "I know the plan, I know how to fight and can get him through to finish the job. There's no better person to do it."

"Except me!" Rameus countered. "I have dealt with injuries before."

Varnes looked from one to the other. He knew that Jolar was the better choice, uninjured and young as he was, but Rameus had the skill and experience.

"What if both of you could go?" Another soldier suggested. "He may be injured, but he can still walk and advise. In the final stage of the mission, he can wait outside until it is over. Then he won't be in any danger."

"I want to fight! I can't just wait outside and do nothing." The man resisted angrily. "I cannot let that child go inside with the proper-"

"Oh, yes you can, Captain!" Varnes interrupted, his face reddening. "You may go tomorrow, but Jolar will lead him inside. I will not allow you to throw away your life."

There was silence again as the two man faced one another. Remeus looked displeased, but he gave in, knowing that he could not defy the order both General and friend. "Yes, sir."

"Now," The old solder stood. "Let us rest. We have a lot to do in the morning." Having said all that he wished to say, he left the tent.

The others slowly got up and left as well, until only Jolar and Rameus remained. Together, they held a hushed conference about the next morning's work.

Keil knew now that they were planning an attack. They were going to attack and lead him inside to finish some duty, but where were they leading him into and what job did they need him to complete?

The castle. He realized. They are attacking the castle at the city so that I can get inside, but what am I supposed to do? Why am I so important?

Still confused, he fell into a sleep again. As he did, he dreamt once more of the strange room and the girl. Now there were others at his side. An older couple were smiling down at him.

He began to wonder if maybe this was real. Was it a memory, reality or just a dream? He wasn't sure.

When he awoke again, just as before, he could not recall the dream.

He woke to the sound of a horn and the chatter of men outside, probably preparing for the attack. He rolled off of his cot and stood up, taking in the morning light as if filtered through the tent door. He walked over to his sack and starting going through it to make sure that everything was still there after Megolith's attack. He looked through it noticed that the Stone Dagger was still there.

He began to wonder if Nicodemus had known exactly what he was supposed to do with it. He also wondered in what way he would use it. A Magical dagger that could only kill one, but never an army. What was the wisest use for such a tool.

Just then, Jolar stepped inside. "Keil, you need to get ready. We're leaving soon."

Chapter 4

Keil stepped into the General's tent. Inside was Rameus. Jolar stepped behind him.

"Keil," Rameus beamed. Apparently, he had forgiven Keil of his trespasses the day before. "Did you sleep well?"

"Now's not the time for that, old friend. We needn't waste more time." Varnes told him sternly. He turned to the boy standing just inside the tent. "Child, I understand that not all has yet been explained to you. We are here to tell you what you must know to complete this mission. We must hurry, however; the army is already moving forward."

"Why do you need me for this mission?" Keil asked for the third time in the past two days. He was tired of the lack of answers and hoped that this meeting would prove fruitful.

"You have a unique talent, boy." Varnes told him. "Like the dark tyrant that curses our land, you possess an affinity with power, strength and learning. Hezron merely has to imagine what he wants and it will come to him, or happen. You can do this also."

Okay, I already know that . He thought impatiently. "How am I to access this ability?"

"It takes a little practice, as you have found. But, beyond that, you must also believe in what you are trying to do. It is easy to imagine, but it is hard to make yourself believe that it will work."

"So, how do you know that I have this talent?"

"We have seen you in the arena and you have shown that you are far more able than any others we know. You mastered incredible magical power in just a few days where it should take a lifetime for most other people."

Fair enough . "And you want me to use this power as you call it. Why must I use it? How?"

Varnes began to look doubtful. "In the past, many warlocks and wizard's dared to cross Hezron's path. Nicodemus was one of them, by the way. All of them have failed. Then again, never before has one shown talent equal to that of our oppressor."

Keil suddenly went numb as understanding flooded through him. "So you want me to challenge the most powerful wizard ever to set foot on Tresgar? Well how am I supposed to do that? He's had years of practice and all that I've had is a few days?"

"Hezron's power rises and falls. One moment dark clouds loom over us and the next he is powerless to do anything but stand and watch."

"What about now? How powerful has he grown recently?"

"Ever since you have arrived, he has built slowly in power. For a time, that power began to wane. But, since about noon yesterday, we have reason to believe that his power has grown to an insurmountable level."

"And you want me to fight him right when he's most dangerous? No way, I'll get killed for sure."

"What better chance have we?" Rameus blurted out. "We have risked our lives to protect you. Do you remember yesterday, when we were attacked? I risked my life because I thought that maybe you could save the lives of a few people. What good is that going to do us if you refuse to help?"

"Calm yourself, Rameus. He is yet undecided."

Keil thought for a time. What could he do? They honestly thought that he could defeat this monster of a man? The old Roaming instructor looked him in the eye. "Heed me, young Wizard. You can succeed in what we have asked of you, but if you do not assist us in our cause, then you lose our protection. You will be left to defend yourself against him either way. This way, we are merely hoping to give you an opportune chance to defeat him. This way, you have a better chance of survival."

Jolar looked stunned and angry. "You cannot assume that he will-"

"No," Keil stopped him. "He's right."

Jolar felt his anger fade away and let out a breath of frustration, but in his face, Keil could see a hint of relief. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I can't just stand by after everything that you have done for me. If not for you help, I would still be lying alone in the woods, dead by now. The least that I can do In return is to do as you say." He turned back to the General. "What is it that you want me to do?"

"We want you to enter the castle with Jolar and Rameus. They will guide you inside. Simeon and Jylor will guard you until you reach your destination. Then you will enter and slay Hezron."

Keil stood for a moment, quietly thinking. Then he looked Varnes straight in the eye. "Where is Kya?"

Rameus answered for him. "Kya was chosen to part of the frontward attack to keep Hezron's soldiers occupied while you enter the castle."

"Will she be safe?"

There was a pause from the leaders. "No one is safe in such an attack, Keil." Jolar said softly. "However, I believe that she will be in less danger than most others. If the attack goes as planned, she will enter the castle soon after the battle and be part of the rescue party. They will be in charge of getting you and killing any of the soldiers still loyal to Hezron."

Keil took a moment to absorb this. Jolar said, "You need to decide and act now. The attack may have already begun. We need to go now."

Keil nodded. "I will go with you."

*                    *                    *

He and his three companions strode up close to the castle. They crouched down low in the grass and looked up at the battlements high above them. The moon crept over the walls and the light seeped out onto the ground. Evening star littered the skies, growing brighter as the sun dipped lower on the horizon. Night was coming on fast now.

Kyle wondered how the day had slipped by so quickly. They had left the camp and hiked all day to get here. It was already a long journey and Kyle wondered how difficult it would be to get inside. He hoped it wouldn't expend too much extra energy. He wanted to be ready when it came time to challenge Hezron.

Rameus whispered to them, advising them of how they were to enter. "There is a portion of the moat that goes into a passage beneath the castle. There is a stairway there that leads into the castle. They use it for shipping barrels and bringing in small boats. Luck is with us. It isn't guarded."

"What about you?" Jolar asked, concerned for the Roamer. "You are injured, I doubt that you may swim."

Rameus grinned at him. "Actually, I was wondering if you could keep up."

Jolar shrugged. "Well, so be it. If you wish to risk your life in such a way."

Simeon put his hand on Jolar's shoulder. "Don't worry about him. When his pride feuls him as it does now, he will stop at nothing."

Kyle grinned. "Believe him on that, there is nothing that he would not do to prtect what little of it he has left."

Rameus looked at him, mystified. "What are referring to when you say ‘what little of it he has left'?"

Jolar answered for him, a mischievous glint in his eye. "Well, it doesn't seem like there is much to have pride for."

Before the conversation could escalate, Simeon pointed to the guards on the wall. "They look like they're distracted by something. Maybe we should go now."

Jolar took charge. "All right. We need to move quickly and quietly. Try not to make any splashing noises as you dive into the water."

As they stood up to leave, Rameus caught hold of Jolar's arm. "What do you think you're doing? I'm leading this company inside."

Jolar gently removed the arm. "I am sorry to inform you that you are no longer of use to us, no matter how good a man you are." Jolar said kindly. "I would never dream of leaving you behind on any other occasion, but here you will only slow us down."

"Nonsense." Rameus reproached him. Determined, he stood up, ignoring the pain he felt in his arm as he did so. "You'll have to tie me to a tree before you leave me behind. I'm going inside with you."

Jolar was about to say something more, but Simeon stopped him. "I would not argue. If he says that he won't slow us down, he won't. He's just that way. After all, we could use him inside. He knows what to look for if there are traps or men waiting to ambush. I've never met the man who outwitted him."

"Very well, but I cannot allow you to enter the main castle. You would surely die."

Rameus agreed gruffly. "Whatever, but I can't leave you alone until then. I'm the only one who knows the inside of the castle." He looked up at the towers. "Anyhow, let's get moving before we're seen."

They moved immediately. Keil lowered himself slowly into the water, gasping at the sheer cold as it sucked the warmth from his limbs. The rest of the group joined him and they silently began the long swim along the wall. Keil gripped the moss that clung to the damp walls and dragged himself forward quietly. His limbs started to grow numb from the cold water and he knew that he couldn't stay in for long.

"There!" Jolar whispered pointing to a gap in the wall farther ahead. "That's the passage.

The got there and turned into what almost seemed like a flooded hallway. They got there and climbed up the steps. Rameus collapsed on the landing. Jolar knelt down beside him in a hurry. "What is the matter?"

Rameus pushed him away. "Nothing. I am fine. I just need a moment."

"We don't have a moment. Are you coming inside or do we need to leave you here?"

Rameus nodded and stood up, but they could see that is was difficult. Keil guessed that the wound was weakening him greatly. "Let's go." Rameus told them briskly.

*                    *                    *

Inside, Hezron sat back, comfortably resting, not a care in the world. The Rebel army was a pathetic collection and could be defeated easily. He wondered how long it would be before his messengers reported success.

Almost in passing, he wondered also how long it would be before Keil made his way to the Throne room.

They all entered a tall hallway, dripped and panting. Rameus now required the assistance of the others to stand up. He still insisted that he was alright, so they let him come.

"There." He wheezed. "That is the way to the Throne Room. You have to go straight to the end of the hall, turn left and then-"

He stopped. There were shouts in the hall behind them.

Jolar, displaying unusual strength, heaved Rameus forward. "Let's go, we can't stay here." The four of them sped forward, seeking to outdistance their pursuers.

The old Roamer was weakening fast. Jolar was practically having to drag him along. Simeon and Keil helped. Behind them, the soldiers poured around the corner.

Keil fell back on his last resort. Turning, he faced the Soldiers and they came forward, drawing their blades. His palm flew up and he let power run wild. With a rush, he remembered that day in the dungeons, when he was speaking with Nicodmus. The suit of armor melted in blue fire, as easily as though it were butter. At the time, he felt horror at the idea of doing it to a human being.

Now that was exactly what he was doing.

"Nicodemus."

The Wizard looked up from his wilted, aged lesson book. "Yes?"

"Why do we fight?"


The blue fire streaked from his open hands.

The Wizard looked at him, giving him a strange, but curious look. "We fight for our freedom."

"But why can't we search for it in another way? Why must people die all for one man's wrongdoings?"

Nicodemus looked saddened. "I suppose that it is because we must defend ourselves. Is there even another way to fight back, but to try to protect those who cannot do so themselves?"


The nearest soldier was caught in the wave of fire. He screamed in pain as he fell. Keil felt his own pain at the sound, knowing that he had inflicted it.

"But then why must we fight them back? Is there no other way? Must we sacrifice so many lives for something that may or may not succeed? Who's to say that the next King to come along won't be worse?"

The Wizard smiled. "He won't be worse, believe me." He said confidently.


Two more soldiers were caught and brought down as Keil brought forth yet another storm of fire upon them.

"Why don't they stop? Can't they see that to fight is to feed? War can only bring pain. It will not solve their problems. Why do we help them fight when all it does is fuel the fire?"

The old man gave a resigning sigh. "They just don't understand."


"Come on!" Jolar shouted in his ear. "We have to get out of here!"

More of Hezron's men poured into the hallway. Some crouched and drew bows and arrows. Keil and the others disappeared around the corner as the first of them were fired.

Keil stopped and turned. He turned toward the ceiling and fired one last gout of blue lightening. Rameus saw it coming. Using the last of his strength, he threw Jolar and Simeon to the ground. Just as the first debris began to fall, he threw himself down on top of them, shielding them from injury.

Keil put his hands over his head and crouched down, letting his back take the brunt of the falling rocks. One or two hit him, stunning him and causing him to fall to the ground.

The soldiers backed away as quickly as they could as the whole of the ceiling fell done in front of them. The large rocks blocked their way and they knew that they were beat. They retreated back around the bend to keep being killed to the avalanche of plaster and stone.

Jolar crawled out from under Rameus. "Keil! I need your help. Rameus is hurt." Keil didn't respond at first. Then the boy stirred slightly. His clothing was coated in a thick coat of plaster dust as the clouds settled to the ground.

"Keil!" Jolar coughed and stumbled over to his side. He turned the boy over.

Keil spoke weakly. "Their lives are saved." His voice was almost like one of surprise.

"Idiot." Jolar mumbled. "You could save a lot more lives if you yourself lived to destroy Hezron." He was happy that he was alive though. Not only that, but he was also relieved the soldiers had not been killed. He was one of few who knew the enemy and had friends among them. "Are you okay? Can you walk?" He asked hopefully.

"Yeah." Keil stood up slowly and painfully, his body still aching. Jolar helped him to his feet. Simeon appeared by them and helped to steady Keil.

"Hey, are you okay?" The boy asked, obviously worried.

Keil nodded. "I am now. What about Rameus?"

Simeon grimaced. "Well, he's alive..."

Rameus had a horrible gash in his side. A large wooden beam had fallen onto him as he tried to protect Jolar and Simeon. If he had not done pushed them out of the way they likely would have been killed by it. He coughed and a thin trail of blood began to seep out of his mouth. Simeon wiped it away with a strip of cloth.

Jolar looked worried. "Rameus, old friend. What is wrong?"

"I'm bruised pretty bad. At this point..." Here, he coughed loudly. "You should leave me. I can take care of myself. Someone needs to stay and hold the hall."

"Don't be ridiculous, Rameus." Jolar reprimanded him. "You'll get killed. Those soldiers won't stay back there forever."

"Heed me!" Rameus shouted now. "I am dying. At least let me die fighting, rather than running. To move me far would mean death, anyhow. I have been wounded on the inside. I will not live another day. Leave me here."

Jolar felt sorrow well up inside of him. "Very well." He said almost in a whisper. He knew that he was right. He was dying. "I bid you farewell."

"Can you do me two last favors?" Rameus asked.

"Anything."

"If anyone asks how I died, just tell them I died trying."

"If that is what you truly want."

"Now," Rameus pointed to his sword, which had fallen. "Hand me my sword and lean me against that wall."

Simeon handed him the sword and together they dragged him to the wall and leaned him back. Rameus sighed with relief. "Thank you." He told them. "Now, Keil. You go do what you were brought here to do. If I'm still alive by the time you finish, I want to be the first to hear about it." He said in a proud voice. "I promise I won't be gone by then."

Keil nodded bravely. "Absolutely, sir. I wouldn't do anything else."

Jolar told the old Roamer, "Well, what did I tell you about staying outside?"

Rameus laughed, a kind of painful wheezing. "Ah, you were always right lad. Even the day I first took you to training, you bent a stubborn child. Now go and slay that monster of a man. Do not give him quarter Keil. Simeon, fight well and don't get yourself killed."

"Goodbye, sir." Simeon said. He was the only among them with tears on his cheeks. He didn't pout, but he didn't have a face of stone, either. His love for this aged, dying man was very evident. Keil realized for the first time how much h loved his friend as well.

"Now, get out of here before you get killed as well." Rameus said, his voice suddenly rougher. He turned away from them and faced the stack of rubble.

"Let's go." Jolar told Keil, who was lingering. He couldn't help one last look back at his friend before turning away. He knew it was the last glimpse of him he would ever have while he was yet alive.

After they were gone, Rameus knew he could hear the sounds of the soldiers again. They were digging out because there was no other way around. He knew that he had lied when he told Keil that he would be alive by the time he was done  with the job, but he didn't doubt that Keil would defeat Hezron.

His mounds burned fiercer than before and he felt the sleep of death begin to overtake him. His grip on the hilt of his sword grew tighter as he saw the first of the enemy soldiers dig out of the rubble. The soldier looked around for a moment, then his eyes rested on Rameus. He drew his  sword and stepped forward.

Rameus felt the clouds of death overtake him even before the enemy blade tasted his flesh.

*                    *                    *

The door swung open. Hezron saw the boy step into the room. He saw small and lean, but muscles were starting to grow over his arms from the time that he had spent with Torus, learning the way of the blade.

Hezron smiled bleakly and stood up. "Well, child. I see that you have come."

Keil faced him grimly. "I have come to usher your death. I have come to repay you for what you have done to my friends."

Hezron laughed. It sounded horrible. It was the most terrifying noise that Keil had ever heard. Keil saw that Hezron was a figure much taller than any normal man. He wore a black robe that covered his face, but under the hood, Keil saw no face. He wondered why he wore such garments.

"You do not know it means to want vengeance for your friends until you know what I have done to them." Hezron told him. He turned to the other wall and pictures appeared. In them, Keil saw his friends. They were being attacked. Kya was in the front when the arrows of the enemy fell from the sky. Torus fell. Kya took an arrow through the shoulder.

"No!" Keil seethed. He turned to Hezron and let forth flames. Hezron stretched out his hand and it swallowed the fire. "You hate me." He growled at Keil.

"If what you have shown me is true, I have much to hate you for." Keil resplied, anger flashing in his eyes.

"But that is not all..." The sorcerer turned to the wall again. "Watch."

Kya had a sword drawn. Soldiers poured in from every side. They cut into the masses of rebels, fighting their way to the center. They fell into them, killing them, slguhtering them. The Kya fell under the blade of one from behind.

Then it struck Keil. He turned to Hezron, face expressionless. "It is a lie. Kya does not use a blade."

"Perhaps," Hezron said. "But not I say must be a lie."

"What do you mean?" Keil asked.

Hezron stepped down from his throne, stepping closer to him. Keil drew his sword. Hezron's terrible voice spoke again. "She is using you."

"No, She's my friend." The boy replied confidently. "She would not do that."

"Who is to say that she doesn't have her own agenda, carefully hidden? Who is to say that she has not done more to you than you know?"

Keil bagn to back away from him as he came closer. "She would never do that, she is good, not like you. You are lying." Yet somehow, he felt a tint of truth in his voice. Hezron was convincing him.

The robed man came closer. "It isn't real..." He murmured.

At once, Keil had flashbacks, memories of the past. A few tiny clipits of the truth. He saw Carol talking to him in the library. The car striking him. He saw fireworks up in the sky, memories of a recent holiday outing.

Keil snapped back into Tresgar, back into the Throne room with the evil presence. Hezron was coming closer. He backed away faster until he felt the cold stone wall on his back. The glimpse of the truth was tantalizing. It was terrifying, but fake. He knew it couldn't be real. How could it.

He felt sweat begin to pour down his neck. He didn't know the whole truth, but he still knew that there was more to this than met the eye. He knewthat what he had been shown you true. He felt it clearer than anything he had ever felt in his whole life.

"She lied to you." Hezron told him, taking another step forward. "She wanted the power for herself." He laughed his evil laugh again. "I almost find my own pride injured by playing along with her stupid games."

"How do you know?" Keil snapped.

Hezron drew back his hood. Keil found himself staring into his own face. "Because we are the same."
© Copyright 2008 Sethorion (sethorion at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418769-Mirage-Part-two