*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420296-The-Interview
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1420296
Contest entry of Daily Flash Fiction
The interview

Josh was nervous.  He really needed this job.  For the millionth time he let his mind play back his parents' criticisms.

"Who is going to hire you?" His mom's whinny high pitched voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard..

"A young man needs to have an education.  He has a responsibility to take care of his family. When will you grow up?"  His dad's disapproval hurt the most. 

Josh nervously opened his wallet and pulled out a ragged piece of paper that had served as his motivation over these last three long years; years of training and sacrifice. 

Unfolding the yellowing scrap revealed the words "Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life."  He read the words over and over.  Failure was not an option.  He must keep his thoughts positive.  Yet, in the back of his mind, he knew that this was his last chance at happiness.  If he did not get this job, it was off to college then an internship at the brokerage firm run by his dad.    This would mean a life of servitude under the whip of the almighty dollar.

"Sir, we're ready for you."  The young woman leaned out from behind the office door.
 
It is time to shine.

Josh got up uneasily, his big floppy shoes slapping loudly on the floor.

"Mr. Weston, it is nice to meet you.  Please, let's see what you've got for us."

He took a deep breath and let his eyes look out the window at the carnival rides.  He could hear the shrieks of children reveling in a world of excitement.    It is now or never.  His hands became a blur.  Moments later he held a balloon poodle in his hands.

"Excellent! Can you also do wiener dogs?"

Word count 300

"Chose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." Confucius


© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420296-The-Interview