*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420980-Thief
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1420980
Entry for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge (300 word max)
Thief!
(word count 300)

It was right there only a minute ago.

I didn't notice that it was missing right away so I decided to retrace my steps.

The last time I knew I had it was when I climbed aboard the A train this morning on my way to work. I had to run to make the train and my heart was beating like a drum. Time, tide and the A train wait for no man.

At work, I noticed we had a new hostess. The name on her tag was Trainee. Not a lot of information to go on. She was quite the looker which was too bad. Beautiful girls typically had little time for my type. My type being a shy guy with below average looks cleaning tables for minimum wage. It was unlikely that she could see I was going somewhere with my life. It just didn't look that way as I cleaned up spilled coffee and crumbs.

Today was the first day of the spring semester. If all goes well, I will graduate next year. Interestingly, Trainee showed up in my Advanced Economics class that evening. She must have been a transfer student as I had not seen her around before. She had changed and was now wearing a yellow sweater that showed off her shapely figure. Employed, smart and attractive, she was way out of my league. Half way through class, our eyes met for a moment. She smiled shyly and offered a little wave. She actually recognized me!

On the train home Trainee got on the same train and same car as me. Unbelievable! When her stop came, she passed right by me. As she did, she looked up and said "I'll see you tomorrow."

I see now what had happened. Trainee had stolen my heart.


© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420980-Thief