*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421164-Pandoras-Dreams-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Fantasy · #1421164
Pandora, a youth haunted with dreams, what happens when they become reality?
Pandora's Dreams

CHAPTER 2: a clearer nightmare

Madame Josephine sat behind a table. She looked like any other fortune teller, wearing beautiful billowing clothes with golden charms sewn on so she jingled as she moved. Her Indian skin was beautiful and flawless, however, unlike most fortune tellers; Madame Josephine must have been only thirty.

Seeming to read my mind the strangely beautiful woman said, "I am older than I look dear." That was when I noticed her eyes. Before she had been looking down, her black lashes covering her eyes. They were the brightest blue I had ever seen. The skies and oceans would be envious. "Call me Madame or you may call me Nētra or eyes. It seems to have been my nickname my entire life, I am sure you have noticed why. Well, you can call me my real name too, I am sure you heard it is Madame Josephine." I nodded mechanically and pondered if maybe her blue eyes had anything to do with her 'sight.' Georgia stood next to me holding my hand. Nētra's eyes bore into me.

Georgia greeted Nētra. "Love. How are you? I have a strange case to bring you today. This is my friend Pandora." Madame answered, her eyes never leaving my face, "I can tell. Well I have been well, my dear Georgia. How was the curry powder I gave you? I told you it was the best."

Georgia grinned, "Why do you ask when you already know the answer?" She laughed.

"I don't always, just generally." Nētra laughed too. Her gaze went to Georgia, but quickly returned to me. "Well, dear child. Sit." I obeyed. Georgia released my hand.

"Pandora sweetie, I am gonna leave you with Nētra. I will wait outside." I nodded, and seemed mute. Honestly, I wanted Georgia to stay. I was scared. Then I glanced around the tent. It was brightly colored silk and damask. There were numerous tables cluttered with incense and candles. The outside light was muted through the brightly colored cloth. I was sitting on what looked like an ancient chair. The cushion was orange and beaded. It was all beautiful, like a different world. Madame Nētra smiled.

"You are a strange one aren't you?" She gracefully rose from her seat. Her hand, filled with jeweled rings and henna, reached for a bright brown and gray ball on a shelf near her. It was full of different color balls. Gently she placed it on the stand. "Brown and gray for your present aura. Your mind is unsettled and dark right now. Can you place your hands on the ball please?" Not knowing what to expect I put my little hands on the ball. Immediately it began to glow. The brown and gray became intense and moving like watercolor paint. A faint yellow appeared in the middle. So dim it was barely seen. It was like a sun being blocked out by a storm.

"Ahhh..." Nētra's blue eyes seemed to understand something profound. "You most defiantly are a strange little girl."

I became anxious. "What? What do you see?"

"See the yellow?" I nodded, again. "You are a great spiritual leader, free, and generous. That is the color of a great person Pandora."

"But... It is being blocked by the gray and brown..."

"Yes, dark, unsettled, and so unclear. These are the shadows of what your dreams cause. Your yellow aura is strong, but slowly it is being smothered."

"What happens if...if it gets blocked completely?" Madame Josephine placed her hands on the ball, her eyes fluttered. She opens them, they appear milky white, the blue is drenched in a strange opaqueness.

"Darling, sometimes to find the truth, you must let it take you completely, let the yellow lie dormant within. But do it only in the greatest of caution. Sometimes, those who lose themselves never find themselves again. It is a dark path, but the only one I can view right now to find what your dreams are telling you."

I heaved a deep sigh as I fingered a strand of glossy hair, thoughtful. "I don't know how to do that. I don't even know why I dream like this. These nightmares affect my life. They are a part of me... but why?"

"These are questions that I cannot answer; you must journey to find them on your own." Nētra blinked, her eyes went back to normal. Her hands retreat from the ball and she massages her temples. The henna-stained beaded braids and dreads jingle softly because of the small bells strung throughout. "I may be able to guide you a bit on your search. I can let you see, show you a little. It may make this all a bit clearer. I nodded. My eyes glossy. I was still worked up from her thoughts.

Nētra got up from her red cushion. She grabbed a clear blue bowl, and a pestle. Her hand then reached high up for five different jars. Balancing this in her arms she carefully placed them on the table. The jars were full of green, yellow and red herbs. Opening the jars she grabbed a pinch from each jar. Nētra put the jars back. The next thing she did was grab a pitcher from the table nearest to Pandora. "Green tea bathed in moonlight. My own recipe." She smiled and poured it with the herbs into the bowl. She crushed it with her pestle. Then she motioned for me to put my hands in it. I obediently put my hands in the green mush. It tingled slightly.

"Now focus on your dreams." She placed her hands over mine, providing a soft and comfortable warmth. "Focus on purposes, sleep, darkness..."

After a couple minutes, a strange fuzziness came over my mind. I went into a sort of trance. A dream, another nightmare.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk, I run, I hide, I think. Here. I am not sure how to explain, how to let it sink in, or even how to cope. Sinking to my knees. A motionless heap besides my shallow breaths. It's this thing, these feelings, bursting, growing inside of me. I can't seem to keep hiding. To keep the demons inside. To keep anything inside. It's a monster; it tears everything within of me. It's a black hole, funneling all the emotions to break me down. Tragically taking breaths to calm myself. I lift myself up from my collapsed state. Help. I yell. Help. But what is it I hear? What answer is found, darkness. That's all... Shadows and obscurity. Then I feel it. A hand. Picking me up fully from my withered form. A light... But then it dies. And I am left alone again... And there are the screams. Screaming and then I see them. They writhe in pain. They are white robed and have black hollow eyes. One is not on the floor in pain. It's a child. A little girl. She walks toward me. She comes so close to me I can smell her rancid breath, and see the blackness where eyes should be. Then, without moving her mouth, she whispers... Help.
© Copyright 2008 Emma.Johnson (emma.johnson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421164-Pandoras-Dreams-Chapter-2