*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421370-Beast-Fishing-Trip-Ever
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Family · #1421370
This is a story about a camping trip I had as a young child.
The Best Fishing Trip Ever
I spent the early part of my childhood living in Northern California. My family was very active in outdoor activities. I remember one time my family and I went hiking at a place called, Thousand Lakes, this place was named after the numerous ponds and small lakes that were scattered all over the mountains.

We started this hike early in the morning, on a Saturday, in the summer. Everyone had to carry their own back pack and supplies on this hike including our dog Hobbit he had a special made backpack just to carry his food and extra rubber boots to protect his webbed feet. As we headed up the trail head I never knew how far this hike might be. I didn't realize that we had brought our sleeping bags with us or the fact that we only had trail mix for food.

We hiked for hours, which to me seemed like it was forever I'm sure I probably asked," are we there yet," at least a hundred times by the time we got to the fishing hole. When we finally got there, my brother and I went off to fish where we thought all the fish were going to be and everyone else stayed together to talk and visit with one another. After a few more hours and no fish my brother and I went back to find everyone. To our surprise everyone had caught their fish they were going to eat for dinner. Luckily our mom had extra fish so we could eat that night. After dinner everyone put up their tents and made their beds for the night.

When we woke up in the morning my uncle was making eggs and bacon for breakfast I asked where he got the eggs and bacon because I was told that we had to catch everything we were going to eat. My uncle told me he got the eggs from the nest of an eagle and the bacon from a wild boar that he killed in the middle of the night. Come to find out later in life that they both came from the store.

After the wild game breakfast we started up the mountain for another wonderful day of hiking stopping at every fishing spot that we could find but still my brother and I couldn't catch any fish. My brother and I couldn't figure out why we couldn't catch any fish we were getting furious everyone else was catching there dinners. As the day went by and we went up the mountain it started to get so cold that we started to see patches of snow on the ground. Just when all us kids were getting ready to start complaining about how tired we were getting we reached the top of the mountain. It was the most beautiful site I had ever seen as we got to the top the trees started to clear and there was a half frozen lake that was twice the size of any of the other lakes around.

My brother and I were the only ones that had not caught a fish this whole time so we were eager to go fishing. As we were getting our poles ready we were fumbling around dropping things and I think I might have even poked myself with my hook but I didn't care I was going to catch me a fish. On the first cast my brothers bate didn't even hit the water a fish jumped out of the water and swallowed his hook he was so stunned that it took him a few seconds to react and real his fish in. Then it was my turn, I casted the farthest I had ever casted before and the same thing happened, my bate never hit the water, a fish jumped out of the water, and swallowed my hook. That night I had the best tasting fish I had ever had. I will always remember that hiking trip and how good hard work can taste.
© Copyright 2008 D Clark (dcclark at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1421370-Beast-Fishing-Trip-Ever