*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422453-Prologue-Untied-Shoelaces
by Devoto
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Other · #1422453
A prologue to this urban fantasyhorror
  With a heavy sigh I reached down and started tying my shoelaces again. The stupid shoes must be broken or something the way they untied themself all the time. When I leaned back against the glass again nothing had changed. The bus stop was still a mess, the traffic on the street outside was coming in waves according to the traffic lights and the bus itself was still a few minutes late. I looked up the street and saw a small BMW, followed by the roar of a huge truck. No bus though.
  I sighed yet again when I started thinking about the situation I was in. On my way to a home I don't like filled with people I don't enjoy being around and about to be asked questions I don't want to answer. There's no reason for me to actually take this bus. There's no reason for me to continue going to the school every day. No reason. Just like there is no reason for me to keep all these feelings locked inside. On the other hand there's really no reason as to why I shouldn't just take the two steps right out in front of a speeding vehicle.
  On the other side of the street the old arab was cursing and kicking at his car where it was parked next to the gas station. Flat tire apperently. The old mans son was waving his arms and mimicing someone cutting the tire with a sharp object. I enjoyed analyzing the situation from where I was sitting. The young man with his shirt unbuttoned, probably a casanova on his way into town, the older man, titled 'dad' when I noticed they had the same chin and nose. The car, model 'cheap', gave them away as not being very well fed, as did the shoes and the shouting about cost of a new tire. There was currently no traffic disturbing their voices and I heard perfectly clear from where I was sitting how they were arguing about the possible evil-doers, the younger mans friends, and how they were going to get home.
  The distant humming grew into a less distant vibrating rumble as the bus rolled closer. It was about that time I decided to do it. When the choice was to meet the bottle of 'Gato Negro' at home and eternal sleep it really wasn't a choice anymore. I stood up and waved my hand to signal the bus driver that I wasn't waiting for this bus. He started accelerating to drive past the stop and I took the step out.
  That's where this all starts. A bus coming at me around 40Mph, and old arab and his son arguing about the tire, the hooded man coming closer to them, an explosion where I had just been sitting, a sudden tackle from behind and I noticed that those damn shoelaces were untied again.
© Copyright 2008 Devoto (devoto at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422453-Prologue-Untied-Shoelaces