*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422828-The-Gypsys-Prophesy
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1422828
Entry for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge (300 words max)
The Gypsy's Prophesy
(Word count 300)

At the fair, they came across a fortune teller's tent.

"Bobby, you have to try this." Justine urged.

He couldn't refuse her when she got excited like this.

Inside the tent, candles bounced light off the yellowed walls. An old wooden table sat between him and a woman dressed in robes. Her lined face was impassive, as if her mind was elsewhere. Saying nothing, she nodded towards an empty chair.

Bobby sat down nervously. Suddenly, this seemed very real. The fair outside ceased to exist. He wished Justine had come inside with him but she insisted that this be private.

Out of nowhere, the aged hands of the gypsy produced old worn card deck. A few slow shuffles and the cards were ready. She lifted her head locking her eyes with Bobby's.

Without looking down, she flipped over a card and said "Joker. Change coming your way."

He wanted to ask for more details but she suddenly flipped two more cards. "A new love will be entering your life. This love will bring you great joy."

This was garbage. Justine was the love of his life. Nothing was going to change that.

He started to rise. With surprising speed, the old woman's hand shot out and grabbed his wrist.

"Sit!"

Bobby sat and she flipped a fourth card.

The Death card.

"A new life awaits you."

No more. Bobby rose and left quickly.

He told Justine it had been a waste of time. She could see he was upset.

Walking home from work the next day, he thought of the gypsy. No way! He would never accept a new love.

A movement inside a store window caught his eye. Looking in, he knew it was love at first sight.

Justine would love this puppy just as much as he did.
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422828-The-Gypsys-Prophesy