*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424752-Beasts-of-the-American-West
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Animal · #1424752
The adventures of a pair of bison brothers in a changing Wild West.
Here are the first two chapters.  More will be posted later.

Chapter 1: Brothers
          It was a hot day in mid summer.  It was July of 1873 to be exact.  The young bison made his way through the tall grass and towards a small clump of trees along the river.  He seemed like nothing more than a large, brown speck amidst the vast sea of dry grass.  It was extremely hot and uncomfortable for a beast with really thick fur.  The sun beat down from the azure sky, baking the earth below.  The buffalo paused briefly and surveyed his surroundings.  All vegetation was brown and dried up with the exception of a few small oak and pine trees by the river.  In the west loomed the high, rugged, snowcapped peaks of the Rockies.  Tall, jagged mountains towered above the Great Plains like majestic guardians, silently watching over the endless prairies below.  To the east was a seemingly endless sea of dry prairie grass that stretched as far as the eye could see over waves of gently rolling hills.  A light, hot breeze blew across the open landscape causing the dry grass to sway back and fourth.  The hot breeze just made the buffalo even more miserable. 
         I'm not doing this again, thought the shaggy beast as he walked through the grass towards the river.  Blaze was very tired and thirsty after having spent the day looking for a better place to graze where the grass wasn't so dry and crispy.  He had found no such place and was returning home rather disappointed.  A few clouds occupied the deep blue sky overhead, occasionally covering the sun.  The thirsty buffalo snorted and resumed his walk to the river.  The dry, brown grass crunched beneath the bison's hooves as he made his way to the river and began lapping at the cool, refreshing water.  The water made him feel better and cooled him off.  Blaze lifted his head, letting the drops of water drip from his bearded chin and fall back into the river.  He was beginning to wonder where his overly protective brother was.  As a matter of fact, Rhen was kind of late today.  He wanted to ask Rhen if he could accompany him to his grazing spot since Rhen claimed his grazing spot was so great.  Blaze's ears perked up at the thundering of hooves on the dry, hard ground behind him but before the buffalo had time to react, something rammed into him.  With a cry of surprise, Blaze fell headfirst into the river.  As he rose up out of the water, he saw another, older, and larger bison standing on the bank.  There stood Rhen, laughing and shaking his massive, shaggy head.  He was a proud creature, standing six and a half feet tall.  He had a thick mane of umber colored fur that covered his head and front legs and ended about halfway down his back.  The rest of his fur was short and was a dark, chocolate color.  His black, upturned horns were about a two feet long each, razor-sharp, and much longer than Blaze's stubby horns. 
Blaze sat there in the river with water dripping off of his long fur and said irritably, "Very funny, Rhen!"
         Rhen, replied smugly, "Hey, did it cool you off, Blaze?"
         Blaze climbed out of the water and shook the water out of his dripping hair, showering the ground with sparkling droplets of water which clung to the dry grass.          
         He snapped, "Why do you do these things to me, Rhen?  If I had wanted to get wet, I would have gone for a swim on my own.  I'm going to take forever to dry off!"
         Blaze shook the water off of his head and tail and walked into the grove of trees, still dripping wet.  Rhen was playful, if a bit immature at times.  Blaze really wasn't in the mood for Rhen's pranks right now.  The bison flopped down on the ground, sending up a cloud of dust from the dry, worn earth under the trees.  This was his home.  This is where Blaze and Rhen would take shelter from the burning sun in the afternoon and where they would go in the bitter winter to keep out of the icy wind.
         Rhen walked up beside him and asked, "What's wrong?  Something's bothering you.  I know it."
         Blaze replied sadly, "I still miss mom."
         Rhen sighed and said sympathetically, "I do too.  But you don't have to worry about being alone.  I'm here for you."
         He nuzzled Blaze gently with his big nose and said, "You know I love you very much, Blaze.  You are all I have left."
         Blaze said, "Thanks.  I guess I just got upset about nothing."
Rhen laughed, "Hey, what are brothers for."
         Back when Blaze was still only a calf, his mother died.  She was very old when she gave birth and died of natural causes.  It wouldn't have made any difference if she had been gunned down by a hunter though because she still left behind a calf too young to fend for himself.  Blaze had been weaned but was he not old enough to be without anyone to watch over him.  Blaze probably would have not survived had Rhen not looked after him.  Since then, Rhen had been very protective of his younger brother and still was even now that Blaze was all grown up.  Most of it was because Blaze was the only family Rhen had left now.  The rest of their herd had been killed by humans.  Hunters were responsible for the fact that now Rhen and Blaze were the only two buffalo remaining for several miles.  There was a small herd further to the north but its leader wouldn't allow any bulls to join because he wanted to limit competition during the mating season.
         Blaze asked, "Are you going back out again?"
         Rhen said to Blaze, "Nope.  I think I'll stay here.  It's getting late."
         Blaze tried to say it as nicely as he could, "Rhen, please don't come check up on me anymore.  I can take care of myself.  I am an adult now, not a calf."
         Rhen sighed and said, "I know.  I'm just worried.  You are the only family I have."
         Blaze answered back to his brother, "I know.  It's just embarrassing."
         He didn't quite care much for all these checkups.  He was an adult now.  Rhen was just being overly protective.  Blaze loved his brother very much but he just didn't like to be treated like a baby.  Blaze then remembered what he was going to ask Rhen.
         "Rhen, can I go with you to your grazing place tomorrow?"
         Rhen quickly replied, "Sure."
         Blaze was pleased with the answer.  He hardly ever got to spend time with Rhen anymore.  He had no friends and it could get very lonely during the day.  He wished more than anything that he had a friend.  It was so boring with nobody to talk to.  Rhen would spend most of the day on the other side of the river at his grazing spot.  Blaze just thought about how nice it would be to have someone to talk to and spend time with so he wouldn't be alone.
         Rhen lied down next to Blaze and declared, "Blaze, I met an old friend today.  Someone who I haven't seen in a long time."
         Blaze looked up curiously.  "Who was it?"
         Rhen replied, "You probably don't remember James do you?"
         Blaze thought for a second and exclaimed, "The bear?  I remember him... vaguely."
         Rhen chuckled, "He asked how you've been doing.  It's been a while and he wants to see you.  That is if you want to go."
         Blaze pondered for a second.  Why not?  He had nothing else to do.
         "Sure, Rhen.  I'll go."
         His brother said, "Good.  We'll go later when it cools off.  It is just too hot to do much right now."
         Blaze and Rhen rested for a few hours, letting the hottest hours of the day pass by.  Blaze rested his shaggy head on the dry ground and drifted in and out of sleep.  Even in the shade, the heat was utterly miserable.  Finally, in the late afternoon, things began to cool down.  Rhen yawned and stood up.  He walked lethargically out of the grove of trees.  Blaze stretched out on the ground, digging his hooves into the dust.  He rolled over and began to stand up.  His fur was no longer wet from the river but dirt clung to his right side, which he was laying on when he was wet.  The young bison followed his brother out of the trees and down to the river where Rhen was lapping up the cold water.  Then, Rhen launched himself into the water causing a huge splash.  The bison swam out into the middle of the river where the water was over his head.  The current there was weak and the large buffalo had no trouble swimming through it.  Rhen kicked his feet until his hooves could touch the rocky bottom of the river.  Rhen thrust himself through the water until he reached the opposite bank. 
         As he climbed out of the water, Blaze shouted after him, "Where are you going?"
         Rhen chuckled and replied, "I'm going to see James!  Coming?"
         Blaze took a deep breath and leaped into the river.  The water, which flowed down from the mountains, felt icy and cold, yet refreshing at the same time.  Blaze was shorter than Rhen and wasn't able to swim as fast.  It took him about ten minutes to cross the river.
         When the buffalo finally reached the other side, Rhen said, "Alright, lets go."  Rhen dashed off across the flat landscape. 
         Blaze panted as he tried to catch up, "Slow down, Rhen!  What's the big hurry?"
         Rhen replied laughingly, "I want to get there before dark!"
         Blaze wondered where they were going.  Rhen seemed to be keeping it a surprise.  Blaze pursued Rhen, his hooves pounding the dry earth and sending up a cloud of dust.  He ran alongside his brother and the two bison raced along the riverbank as the sun hung low in the western sky, just above the mountain peaks, flooding the landscape with an orange light. 
         Blaze panted, "Getting tired yet?"
         Rhen replied as he thundered along, "Nope.  I'm just getting warmed up!"
         Blaze was panting and struggling to keep up with Rhen.  The dust that the powerful bison kicked up made Blaze cough and gag. The cloud of dust stung his eyes, bringing tears to them to wash away the particles.  The young buffalo skidded to a halt, panting and choking on the dust.  Rhen abruptly stopped, sending gravel flying as he slid across the rocky ground. 
         Rhen trotted over to Blaze and asked concerned, "Are you alright, Blaze?"
         "Yeah, I'm fine." croaked Blaze in reply."
         "Good", was Rhen's reply as he dashed ahead again.
         Blaze shouted after him, "I'll get you for that, Rhen!"
         The buffalo had by now caught his breath and bolted off after his brother toward the setting sun.  The colossal shadow of the majestic mountains blanketed the vast prairies as the sun sank below their peaks.  The bright rays of light reflected off the snowcapped peaks in hues of orange and pink.  Blaze was quickly catching up to his brother and overtaking him.  He was a very fast runner and was not about to let Rhen beat him.  All he had to do was outrun him.  Every muscle in Blaze's body flexed and relaxed with each thrust of his powerful legs.  His hooves thundered on the hard, dry ground.  It would have been certain death for any creature unlucky enough to be caught beneath the bison's hooves right now.  A mouse or prairie dog would have been crushed and flattened instantly. 
         Rhen was exerting all his energy and was wearing out.  His tongue was dangling from his mouth and his heart was pounding as if it was about to jump out of his chest. 
         He slowed to a trot and gasped, "Alright...  I give up.  You win, Blaze.  We're almost... there...  anyway."
         Rhen was exhausted from the run.  He slogged along with his tongue hanging out and his tail hung low.
         Blaze paused and allowed Rhen to catch his breath and the two bison continued on their way.
         Night was setting in and the land was cooling off rapidly.  The big moon hung low in the sky as the last rays of light glowed in the west.  Finally, Rhen and Blaze arrived at a rocky hill with a cave in the side of it.
         Rhen announced, "This is it, Blaze.  We're here."


Chapter 2: The Storm
         Blaze looked around at the dark landscape around him.  The chirping of crickets filled the balmy night air.  The soft gurgling of the river could be heard above the chirping.  Stars filled the sky overhead and a big full moon hung low in the sky to the east. 
         Rhen looked around for any sigh of his friend.
         The bison called into the cave, "James, it's me!"
         A gravelly vice called down from atop the hill, "Rhen, I'm up here!"
         Rhen looked up and saw the black bear making his way down the slope.
         The bear said casually, "I was just fishing in the river on the other side of the hill.  It's good to see you again, friend!"
         James paused and looked at Blaze for a moment and then exclaimed, "Look at you, Blaze!  Last time I saw you, you were just a calf with fiery orange fur!  Now you've grown into a fine young bull."
         Blaze, unsure of what to say, replied, "Well, uh... nice to see you again too."
         Rhen teased, "Aww.  He's a bit shy around people he doesn't know."
         James said in his rough voice, "Oh, that's alright.  He hardly knows me anyway." 
         The bear walked up to Blaze and surveyed him again and said, "You know, your brother and I go way back.  We grew up together."
         Rhen added, "Yeah, we were practically inseparable.  We use to get into all kinds of trouble."
         Blaze asked, a bit curious, "What kind of trouble?"
         James Replied, "Oh, the usual stuff.  Pulling pranks on coyotes and such."
         Rhen replied in a low tone, "Oh yeah.  I remember them alright."
         James laughed, "And don't forget that old badger."
         Rhen teased, "Hey, you started the whole thing with your attitude."
         James retorted, "I did not!  You were the one who started it with your name calling!"
         Blaze interrupted, "What exactly happened anyway?"
         Rhen explained, "There was this badger who that he owned everyone.  He was always bellowing at us for coming too close to his den and we just got sick of it."
         James added, "Your brother here started calling him names.  I told him it wasn't a good idea but he didn't listen.  Rhen has always been kinda stubborn."
         Rhen snorted at the bear and continued, "Well, the badger got mad and came after us.  I wasn't afraid of him though because I was a lot bigger than he was.  He..."
         James interrupted, "That's not true!  You were running from him faster than I was, ya big coward!"
         Blaze yawned tiredly.  Listening to Rhen and James bicker was interesting and all, but it had been a tiring day.  Blaze just wanted to get some rest.  His eyelids felt heavy and he just wanted to lie down. 
         Rhen said to James, "I think we should be getting back home.  Blaze looks like he is about to drop over asleep."
         James suggested, "Why not just stay here?  You can go home in the morning when it is light."
         Blaze then asked in a tired tone, "What about your grazing place?  Aren't we going there in the morning?"
         Rhen replied, "Yeah.  We can still go.  Hey, James, would you like to come with us?  We can talk some more there."
         The bear replied, "Sure.  We can catch up on some things.  Lets just call it a night for now.  I'm so tired, I feel like I could sleep for a month."
         Rhen joked, "I don't think it is hibernation time just yet."
         He glanced over at Blaze who was already asleep and said, "Well, it looks like we'll be staying here tonight for sure now.  Once he's asleep, there is no waking him up."
         Rhen laid down on the ground next to James.
         James said, "Just look at him.  It's hard to believe that he is the same sickly calf I remember him as.  It really amazes me that he survived that first week."
         Rhen replied, crossing his front legs and resting his big, shaggy head on them, "Yeah.  Of course, I really didn't care back then.  I thought he'd hog all the attention from Mom."
         James said, "Well, look how things turned out.  You raised him just as good as any father would have."
         Rhen nodded.  He still wondered how someone as sick as Blaze had survived at all.  When Blaze was first born, he was very sickly and unhealthy.  He was experiencing breathing problems and nobody believed he would even make it past his first night.  For the first couple months of his life, Blaze was weak and barely had any energy.  He had somehow managed to survive through it all and had grown into a handsome young bull.   
         The next day, Rhen headed off towards his favorite grazing spot with Blaze and James following him.   
         Blaze asked out of curiosity, "Why do you like that particular grazing spot so much?  Is the grass any different there?"
         Rhen replied, "Well, mostly because the grass is greener and there are other kinds of food there too.  You won't leave hungry, that's for sure."
         James commented, "Maybe you won't leave hungry.  I'm not a grazer like you two though."
         Rhen said, "Find something else to eat then.  I'm sure there will be something for you."
         Rhen continued onward as Blaze ran up along side him.  There was very little sibling rivalry between them.  Sure, Blaze and Rhen would get into an argument every now and then, but Blaze loved his big brother and Rhen loved Blaze.  Blaze thought back to the day before when Rhen had knocked him into the river and gave a slight chuckle about it.  He had been upset about it at first but now that he thought about it, it was kind of nice actually.  It was just harmless fun.  Blaze still wanted some "revenge" if one could call it that.
         He shouted, "Hey, Rhen!  Want to have another race?  First one to pass that big rock over there wins!"
         He gestured towards a large boulder with his head.
         Rhen answered, "Alright, you're on!"
         Blaze sneered as he pawed the ground, "Okey, get ready to lose!  Again!"
         The two bison dashed off towards the rock, kicking up clouds of dust as they ran across the dry ground leaving James where he was.  Blaze passed Rhen within the first few yards.           Blaze shouted to him, "Come on, slow poke!  I thought we were racing!"
         Rhen just rolled his eyes and began to run faster.     
         Blaze taunted again, "Come on!  At least try to beat me!"
         Rhen huffed as he passed Blaze, "Alright, sure thing!"
         Blaze sped up but was having a hard time passing his brother. 
         Rhen was huffing and puffing as his hooves pounded the ground under him.  The two buffalo were nose to nose but Rhen was getting tired.  Finally, he just decided to back off.  Blaze ran past the boulder and slid to a halt, sending rocks and dirt gravel flying everywhere.. 
         He turned around and looked at Rhen while trotting backwards and gloated, "Ha!  Told ya so!"
         He had enjoyed the ordeal but he was now panting hard and his heart was pounding in his chest.  Blaze loved getting back at Rhen for his pranks just as long as nobody got hurt.  Racing with Rhen was one of his favorites.  Despite his early health problems, Blaze had better stamina than Rhen and could sustain his speed longer.  Being smaller and somewhat lighter helped as well. 
         Rhen just shook his large, shaggy head, laughed and replied, "I just let you win.  No point in bragging about it."
         Blaze just said, "Yeah, sure.  Whatever.  All that running made me hungry."
         Rhen commented, "Well don't worry.  We are almost there.  It's not much further now."
         James caught up panting loudly and gasped, "I hope not.  You two wore me out already."
         Rhen sighed.  Blaze had always been a little impatient when it came to food.  He enjoyed spending his time munching on grass and occasionally leaves from a low hanging branch on a tree.  The two bison arrived in a small hallow with lots of green grass and some shrubs. 
         Rhen announced, "Blaze, we're here.  All you can eat."
         Rhen walked over to the green patch of grass and started feasting.  It had a sort of sweet flavor to it.  Blaze joined his brother.  The ground was wet and mushy beneath his hooves.  Then, Blaze noticed a marsh nearby.  This explained why everything here was so moist and green.  He walked over to the marsh to get a drink.  This time, Blaze was listening to make sure Rhen didn't surprise him again.  The water wasn't moving much and it didn't taste as fresh as water from the river.
         James busied himself trying to gather up field mice but was having little luck.  The mice were small and the few that he caught were not nearly enough to fill him up.  The black bear glanced jealously at Blaze and Rhen who were thoroughly enjoying themselves and wishing he was having as much fun.  The two bison spent a couple of hours grazing and enjoying the green, sweet grass.  In the late afternoon, Blaze was grazing on wildflowers when ears perked up to a low rumbling sound.  The sky was growing dark with clouds as a storm approached.  The dark clouds were looming over the mountains to the west and beginning to move over the plains.  From the looks of it, this was going to be a very nasty storm.  Lightning illuminated the clouds and more thunder rumbled across the open prairie. 
         Rhen ambled over and said, "Come on, Blaze.  Lets go home before that storm hits." 
         Rhen turned and headed for home.  Blaze nodded and trotted off after his brother. 
         Blaze  never liked thunderstorms very much.  He didn't like lightning or thunder.  The rain wasn't a problem though.  It was badly needed and would help replenish the parched land.
         James shouted after them, "I'm going back to my cave!  You two be careful!" 
         Rhen shouted back, "We will!  Don't worry!"
         Blaze and Rhen trotted at a brisk pace as the sky began to boil and churn with dark clouds behind them.  The scent of rain filled the air and the wind picked up, whipping Blaze's long hair in his face.  Thunder rumbled again, this time much closer.
         Rhen stopped and turned his head to Blaze.
         "We're not gonna make it home before this storm hits and I don't want to be caught out in the open!  I know of a cave not to far from here where we can go until the storm blows over!"
         Blaze shouted in reply over the howling wind, "Couldn't we just go back with James to his cave?"
         Rhen answered, "No, there isn't enough room in that cave for all three of us.  This cave is much bigger than his."
         Blaze nodded and the two buffalo changed direction, heading north.  They headed for a rocky hill in the distance.  Blaze sighed in frustration.  They were going to be in for a rough night. 
         Rhen, annoyed that Blaze was lagging behind, shouted, "Come on, Blaze!  We need to get to the cave!"
         Blaze replied, exhausted from the long, strenuous dash toward the cave, "I'm right behind you!  How much further is it?"
         Overhead, the boiling clouds had turned the sky a deep shade of purple and jagged bolts of florescent lightning flashed high above.
         Rhen panted, "Not far now.  Lets pick up the pace!"
         Blaze groaned again in frustration.  He didn't know how much longer he could run like this.  He was tired from his race earlier and didn't feel like running.  A light mist was blowing down from the black clouds, clinging to the two bisons' fur like drops of dew on grass.  A fork of florescent blue lightning ripped across the sky followed by a defining clap of thunder that echoed across the open prairie. 
         Finally, after what seemed like ages, Rhen shouted, "There it is!  Let's get inside!
         There, in the side of the rocky hill was the small opening of the cave.  Rhen ran inside with Blaze right behind him.  Only seconds later, the storm unleashed its full fury.  Rain pounded and the wind howled, blowing mist into the cave.  The ceiling of the cave wasn't but about twenty feet high.  The cave went back about 200 feet until it went into a huge underground lake which was almost completely hidden in the darkness.  Blaze looked into the black water and couldn't see that there was any bottom to the lake.  It seemed to go on forever.  The young bison trotted back over to Rhen and sat down on the damp cave floor, looking out at the raging storm.  Water poured over the entrance as if there was a solid sheet being draped over it.  Rhen drank from a puddle of water forming from the mist blowing inside.  This was definitely going to be a long night.  Blaze lied down on the cave floor and crossed his front legs, resting his head on them.  The constant lightning illuminated the inside of the cave, sending shadows from the stalagmites and stalactites dancing across the walls.  The light was reflected from the smooth surface of lake like a mirror and for a brief second, it lit the entire back of the cave, revealing how far back the lake stretched.  It seemed to go on and on into the darkness.  Blaze turned his attention toward the entrance of the cave when he heard the sound of hard objects hitting the ground.  Hail had started to fall outside and a few pieces were bouncing inside the mouth of the cave.  Rhen chuckled and kicked a hailstone with his right front hoof, sending it bouncing across the floor of the cave and into the underground lake.  It disappeared into the darkness with a splash, sending ripples across the surface of the water.  Hailstones the size of quarters were falling outside now.  Rhen got chills when he though about what else could be lurking out in the storm.  He knew that he and Blaze were safe from it in the cave but that wasn't the case a few years ago.  It was back before Blaze was born.  In fact, Blaze only knew of it because Rhen had told him of the incident.  It had been on a stormy night much like this one that Rhen had experienced it.  The herd, what was left of them at the time, were huddled in a group as the rain pounded down on them.  Rhen was hunkered down next to his mother, who was still pregnant with Blaze  There were tiny hailstones falling but not large enough to hurt a buffalo.  Then, over the sound of the rain splattering on the ground, came the most dreadful sound Rhen could imagine.  It was an unearthly roaring sound.  Then, a flash of lightning revealed a long, black, narrow thing coming down from the clouds.  Rhen's mother would later explain that the thing was called a tornado.  All of the buffalo seemed to be in a panic except for Rhen's father who was the herd's leader.  He surveyed the situation and determined that the tornado was not headed their way.  However, he still led them to a different location until the storm passed.  Rhen had been the only one of the two brothers who had known their father.  Their father was shot by hunters along with the rest of the herd with the exception of Rhen and his mother.  Blaze had been born a couple months later.  Rhen presently diverted his attention to his younger brother who was lying on the cave floor asleep.  Rhen crept over to him and laid down next to him.  He gazed out at the torrential rain outside.  Like Blaze, he had never liked thunderstorms much.  He wasn't sure what he hated more; the lightning or the thunder.  Perhaps both.  Rhen was getting tired of thinking about it though.  Then, during a flash of lightning, something caught Rhen's attention.  Something was moving outside.  A second flash of lightning revealed a dark object moving toward the cave entrance.  Then he realized that it was an animal of some sort.  A large one.  The mysterious creature bolted through the curtain of rain that covered the cave entrance and yet another flash of lightning revealed a very tired looking, very frightened female moose. 
         Her eyes shifted from Blaze to Rhen and then, the dripping wet moose said timidly, "Oh, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to intrude.  I had no idea that anyone was here."
         Blaze was awakened by the newcomer and surveyed her groggily.
         Rhen cocked his head and replied, "That's alright.  We don't mind.  We're just trying to get out of the storm too."
         Blaze asked the newcomer, "Why are you so frightened?"
         The moose replied, "One of those strange clouds that touches the ground is out there.  I've heard some bad things about them."
         Rhen asked, although he was sure he knew the answer already, "You mean a tornado?"
         The female moose nodded.  Blaze, having never seen a tornado before, could only wonder what was so frightening.
         The bison asked his brother, "Rhen, what exactly is so scary about tornadoes?  I mean, it is only a cloud right?"
         Rhen shook his head and answered, "Tornadoes destroy any thing in their path.  They are much more than just a cloud.  They are made of wind that spins around and suck up rocks and even whole trees."
         Blaze nodded.  The moose watched the two brothers settled down for the night.  She had always heard that buffalo were greedy and cantankerous and yet these two seemed very friendly.  She crossed her front legs and rested her head upon them.
         Blaze watched the rain continue to pound outside although despite the frequent lightning, there was no sign of the tornado.  His eyelids were heavy and he felt extremely tired from the day's activities.  Blaze let out a long yawn and rested his head on the floor of the cave.  The pattering of the rain faded away and soon, Blaze was asleep again.  Rhen lied down next to his brother and drifted off to sleep as well. 

© Copyright 2008 Fighter Ace (fighterace at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424752-Beasts-of-the-American-West